Older Part of Northwood worth it?

jyeh74

There's an older part of Northwood with no HOA and no Mello-roos.  Is it a good idea to purchase older homes? It's deeded to Northwood high.

The new homes are great in terms of floor plans but I can't make sense of the high HOA and Mello-roos.

I'd say it depends on the condition and layout of the house, as well as your neighborhood. We ourselves purchased in old Northwood, and our house does not have HOAs or mello roos taxes, which was very attractive to us (we had been looking in Stonegate, Woodbury, and Quail Hill). Our home was built in 1979 (no asbestos) and in a great little cul-de-sac. We met our future neighbors and found out that the majority of the people on our street have lived in their homes for decades. Our home itself was in good condition but was dated, so we did some renovation before moving in.

Although my wife sometimes wishes we had some of the floor plans available for the new homes, we certainly appreciate having a larger lot, having neighbors that aren't 2 feet from our window, and having homes that are not exactly like the ones next door. Plus, we ended up buying a home with a three-car garage and a proper driveway. Of course, I am sure we are missing out on some of the features of new homes, such as better energy efficiency, better layouts, as well as that new home and new neighborhood feel, but we have no regrets with purchasing in old Northwood.

The California Court Company said:
one big plus of buying an older house like in Northwood is you will less likely run into obnoxious mainland Chinese neighbors.

Couldn't agree more!! F you FCBs!!! This is why I left!

Sorry to hear that Homer, so that's the real reason why you left irvine?  I'll boycott Chinese food for 1 day in your honor.

Those mainland Chinese neighbors will slowly assimilate into the US culture.  In the end, their offspring will be American-Chinese rather than Chinese-American.

Teddy Roosevelt had something to say about this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphenated_American

So all you guys identifying as Chinese-American, or German-American, Teddy Roosevelt thinks you're a traitor to the country.

I like parts of old northwood...the problem with no HOA is that you'll sometimes get neighbors who don't maintain their homes properly. I prefer woodbridge, Deerfield, and UP of the older communities because the association requires everyone to maintain their homes. And hoa in these communities is reasonable.

If you don't want your neighborhood to go to crap like el camino, pick one that has an HOA.  you'll be glad you did.

one big plus of buying an older house like in Northwood is you will less likely run into obnoxious mainland Chinese neighbors.

What is wrong with these chinese people that makes you call them obnoxious?  Do they flash their money or are rude or something?

irvineboy said:

What is wrong with these chinese people that makes you call them obnoxious?  Do they flash their money or are rude or something?

they dont say hi when you say hi when walking your dogs!!!!

qwerty said:
irvineboy said:

True, but how is that obnoxious?  When I think of obnoxious I think of college students having frat/sorority parties.

irvineboy said:
qwerty said:
irvineboy said:

True, but how is that obnoxious?  When I think of obnoxious I think of college students having frat/sorority parties.

its rude.

bones said:
FCBs don't like brown folk.  Qwerty is just taking it personally.

I actually don't take it personally. I just think it's common cortesty. I used to move to the street when I would come across anyone coming down the sidewalk, now for those folks coming down the sidewalk who are avoiding eye contact from 30 ft away I just stay on the sidewalk and let my dog who is aggressive try to nip at them and then they move :)

Back