Old Vine Cafe review

graphrix_IHB

<a href="http://www.oldvinecafe.com/">I think this is our new favorite restaurant in OC</a>. Cayci had the regular tasting menu and I had the seasonal tasting menu. That way we could share and try the things we wanted to try on the other menu.

The scallops are to die for, and I was very close to licking the plate because the sauce was so good. The Chard from Tasmania, yup Tasmania, was a pleasant surprise as a match to this. The butternut squash bisque was tasty and even more tasty with the wine pairing of a sparkling off-dry rose from Italy. The pasta is made fresh every day and just melts in your mouth. The sauce is just perfect too. The salmon with the crimini mushroom and wine sauce with the polenta was a perfect match with the Nero D'Avola wine. The filet with the Bleu Des Basque Demi Cream Sauce was awesome, and the 2008, yes 2008, Maipe Cabernet Sauvignon from Argentina was divine. The cab was good on its own, and when we have some room in the wine fridge we will go back there to buy some. The Hand Made White Ricotta & White Truffle Raviolo with a Slow Roasted Maple Leaf Duck Ragu & Aged Pecorino was tastebud bliss. No... seriously, the combo of truffles with the ricotta and duck was done perfectly in proportion for what it was, and the wine complimented it very well. Desert was great with a berry cheesecake and chocolate lave cake. The chef put effort into the presentation of all the dishes and truly capped it off with the desert.

OC Weekly just ranked this place as best restaurant in OC, and rightfully so. We went there for restaurant week and our waiter (who is hopefully going to transfer to SLO to be in their oenology program) remembered us. Bonus points for him, and his wine knowledge combined with the food pairings was exceptional for someone without a sommelier designation, and in fact he might trump some with his unique knowledge. It is rare that you find the wait staff as knowledgeable about the wine and food pairings as this without a sommelier.

You can also purchase the wines that they serve their for ridiculously affordable prices. Many are $7.99 and the really good stuff is $14.99. Please go try this place, and if you are disappointed I will be shocked or you just aren't a foodie like me. Oh, and vegetarians... they have a tasting menu for you too. Sorry vegans, it has cheese and cream involved in it.

One last note, they have a 3-course meal M-Th at 5 and 5:30 PM, which is awesome too. This is mainly for people who are seeing a show at OCPAC. They will also ask if you are seeing a show and make sure you get out of there with plenty of time to get to your show. This is something that I cannot thank them enough for.

The breakfast menu looks pretty good too. They serve baked (not toasted) English muffins, house-made marmalades (kiwi or strawberry) and nut butters (pistachio or macadamia). I can't wait to try this place. Thanks for the tip!

Back