Oh, the joys of property management

socal78

Got a phone call a few weeks ago.

89 year old lady, says we need to come replace the window screens because somebody came and stole all of hers.

Sent someone out.

The screens were all there on the windows.

She called back later the same night.

"Someone broke in and turned down the temp on the water heater."

She wanted someone sent out to re-adjust it.

Sent someone out.

It was never touched in the first place.

Last night, she reported: "My EX-granddaughter broke in and stole all of my bed sheets."

???

B2FiNiTY said:
So what are you going to do?

What *can* we do? She pays her bills on time.

It's not part of my job but I've tried encouraging her to "report" these things to her children / grandchildren. My goal here is to get them to realize it's time for grandma to move in with them or go to Assisted Living. She told me that she has told them about these "break-ins", though. One of her grandsons told her she has dementia. The other says she's fine and says he believes her. Who knows what will happen. She has also fallen on the sidewalk at night and laid there until a passerby happened to notice.

YellowFever said:
Socal, is she white?  She has to be white.  No Asian family in their right minds would leave their mother or grandmother living by herself in Irvine.  That is bad feng shui, bad chi, bad everything.

Haha. Yes. But like a lot of white parents she is fiercely independent. I work with a lot of old (almost all white) people. They WANT autonomy and privacy. Believe me, they do not want to live with their kids. They want their own life. A lot of times, it's a pride issue. They also do not want to hold their kids back by burdening them. So, it cuts both ways. We are independent from our parents and stand on our own 2 feet, accepting adult responsibilities at an earlier age, earning things on our own and fighting to make our own way in the world (granted, probably less today than ever before) but, likewise, they also assert their independence and authority from us. They are also capable of cutting you off so hard and fast, it will make your head spin. The wishes and expectations are just totally different. Some may appreciate kids taking care of them if offered but rarely would they expect it and never demand it, imo.

I've asked many of them in the 80-90 range if they would like to go live with their kids. They always say no. Some of them even say, "Hello, no." :D I've never heard one single old person say yes. Independent living is their first choice. They prefer to die in place with or without a caregiver. Often without because, again, pride. Assisted living is their second choice, to remain with their aging peers. Living with their kids is their last preference.  :)

Back