Odors from asphalt plant in Irvine spark frustration, fear, anger

kpatnps said:
someguy said:
kpatnps said:
eyephone said:
someguy said:
Ever been in a parking garage?  You've breathed toxic chemicals.  Let's ban parking garages.  Ever burned food in your house?  Yep, toxic chemicals.  Let's ban cooking at home.  What about workers in facilities that work with plastics?  Yep, let's put them out of work and put the owners in jail. What about the workers in the asphalt plant?  And the workers that spread asphalt?  And the people within a 5 mile radius of asphalt spreading?  Ban it all.

It is all preference. I never complained about this topic. But you are going at it wrong. Let the people who are %u201Ceffected%u201D confront or address the problem.
This does not sound like a slip and fall incident and they are making it up.
I mean they spend big bucks to buy their house. Who knows it has an impact on their overall health? (Just saying and not accusing anybody. It is just a simple question.)

As I previously mentioned, I will never live by a freeway, unless I have no other option. I guess I have to add, I will never live by an asphalt company.

A reasonable response.

On the other hand, the ferocity of someguy's response make it sound like he has something to lose.  Property values would be my guess.

I'm definitely an idiot, but I'm not so misguided to think that my idiotic internet posts could influence property values.

Idiot, no.  I agree any internet posts would influence property values, however the thought of property values probably influences your words.

You can read my mind?  This conversation has derailed.  Take care, good luck to you.

irvinehomeowner said:
Asphalt should be made in Riverside not Irvine. :)

Perhaps people should know better than to buy a home built next to an existing asphalt plant and not buy developer property unless the developer buys out the problematic business and does an environmental clean up.

Oh wait, that would make the homes not cheap.

Much easier to sign a bazillion pages of legalize while buying that warns up not to plant anything edible with roots going down more than a foot.

is the asphalt plant mentioned in the home disclosures? I'm new to OC and I wouldn't be aware about that until you guys mentioned it or if its in the home disclosures.  I would hope the agent would be able to disclose that to the buyer before visiting the properties in that area...

I'd be surprised if it is not in the disclosures.  Found out through the disclosures my home is built on clay soil that may be subject to liquidfaction.  Found out that in the event of a 100 year flood my home may be impacted.  For the buyers who didn't bother to read the disclosures then it's on them. 

irvine buyer said:
I'd be surprised if it is not in the disclosures.  Found out through the disclosures my home is built on clay soil that may be subject to liquidfaction.  Found out that in the event of a 100 year flood my home may be impacted.  For the buyers who didn't bother to read the disclosures then it's on them.

I think its a two way street.  Sure buyers should read all disclosures, but there should also be some responsibility on the builders to highlight potential issues as well.  With that said, I have been to Orchard Hills and specifically asked the builders agents about the asphalt plant.  Not one of them acknowledged there was an issue. 

irvine buyer said:

There was another thread on this, if iirc, it's on the disclosures on the newer new homes (last 5-10 years or something), but prior to that, it wasn't. 

Best to ask a couple of home owners about the area before buying. This is the one "must do" before buying a resale. It's harder to accoomplish when it's 1st phase new, but in an ongoing build, it's smart to knock on a few doors before buying to get the real story about the area, not the one manufactured by the sales office or Agent.

As for property values being impacted, I don't recall Stonegate or Portola Springs prices suffering much when human remains were located on the property....

https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,1242.msg13891.html#msg13891

https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=13214.0

Unfortunately the link within the Stonegate thread is dead as well. Would have made a great read though.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
Best to ask a couple of home owners about the area before buying. This is the one "must do" before buying a resale.

I'm always amazed at the number of buyers who fail to do this.

One of the biggest advantages of buying resale over new construction is that you get to pick your neighbors.

It?s why you really need to focus your buy in a couple neighborhoods that you become familiar.

You will know what homes actually sell for there.

You will know how much competition is for the homes.

You will know what?s good and what?s not.

Most importantly, you?ll know which homes will have another just like on the market within the month and which ones you won?t see again for ten years.

WTTCHMN said:
Soylent Green Is People said:
Best to ask a couple of home owners about the area before buying. This is the one "must do" before buying a resale.

I'm always amazed at the number of buyers who fail to do this.

One of the biggest advantages of buying resale over new construction is that you get to pick your neighbors.

That is if they open their door. If some random knocks on my door. Sorry I am not talking to them. Yo

Back