October 2023 Irvine Housing Market Update

usctrojancpa

My Irvine market update has been long overdue. I’ve been working hard this year to make things happen for my clients as the market has gotten very challenging. I don’t think anyone would have been able to predict how 2023 would have played out at the end of 2022. As the were finished up 2022, Irvine market prices drifted lower by about 9% from the peak pricing back in April/May 2022. Then suddenly there was a huge pivot in pricing starting in Jan/Feb 2023 and I experienced all of my 4 listings during that time period getting multiple offers and going over list price with strong open house traffic. From there prices continued to steadily increase each month as inventory levels remained constrained all the while interest rates went from the 6% range to kissing 8% in the past few weeks (we have drifted down to the low-to-mid 7% range as we speak).

Here’s the most surprising part for me and I’m sure most of you….as of the end of October, Irvine prices are about 5% HIGHER than the peak pricing that we had in April/May 2022. Who would have thought that would have happened, especially with rates being higher today than back at the end of 2022? Not me and probably not anyone else but the market will do what the market does. Why have prices increased? Simple, low inventory levels and that’s why I’ve been telling everyone for years and years to watch inventory levels as they will be a very good predictor of where home prices will go. Why is inventory so low? Because rates are high and a lot of people who would otherwise want to purchase another home (either to move-up or downsize) do not want to give you their low 2.5-3% low fixed rate. Is demand down? Absolutely, as I’ve had about a dozen buyers who have gone onto the sidelines this year as not only have rates gone up but prices have also gone up during that time. However, the decrease in demand has more been more than offset by a decrease in supply.

The attached data closes sales through October 2022. Sales volumes continued dropping off from 2022 levels into 2023 as inventory levels kept decreasing as less properties have been listed on the market. I have also provided some data to show how many new listings have been listed each month since Jan 2021. From a year-over-year perspective, we are down almost 19% (down approx. 47% from the sales volume that we saw in 2021) and at levels not seen since 2011 when we were getting out of the Great Recession. Due to the low level of inventory that we currently have, we can expect that sales volume will remain low for the rest of this year and into early next year.

The median home price has increased from $663/sf at the end of December 2022 to $764/sf in October 2023 or an increase of $101/sf almost a 15% increase for the first 10 months of 2023. October 2023 prices increased approx. 12% or $82/sf from October 2022 prices. It may look like prices are beginning to level out but we saw something similar Jan to Feb and July to August so we’ll need to see a few more months of data to confirm this trend. However, I don’t foresee prices decreasing meaningfully until inventory levels materially increase from today’s levels. I have seen that there’s been a significant increase in the number of Irvine homes being purchased for all cash from previous years. Irvine has always had about 25-30% of all transactions be cash purchases but that % is now up to 40-50% as many financed buyers have went to sidelines due to both the higher prices and higher interest rates.

Inventory levels continued their decline from December 2022 levels into 2023. Typically inventory levels bottom out at the end of the year between Christmas and the New Year and peak out during July/August. That is not what happened at all, inventory levels drifted lower and lower even as we got into the Spring selling season (March-May) and never increased like we should typically see in the Summer selling season (June-August). At the end of 2022, we were just under 3 months of inventory which is borderline weak seller market and neutral market and once we got into Feb/March 2023 the supply of months decreased to 1.5 months of inventory which is a strong seller’s market and hence why we began to see material price increases with bidding wars on many properties. For the first 10 months of 2022 there were 2,893 new home listings for sale while in the first 10 months of 2023 there were only 2,281 new home listings for sale or a decrease of over 21%.

Interest rates stayed fairly flat in the first few months of 2023 but then we experienced the banking crisis in March 2023 with SVB and a few other banks failing which caused interest rates to decrease to the low 6% range. However, interest rates began to increase once the Fed stepped in to calm things down and continued to signal to market that rates would stay higher for longer. Even though the Fed stopped increasing the overnight rate, interest rates continued to increase until rates were around 8% last month. Interest rates have come down back down by ½% to ¾% in the past few weeks as inflation data came in lower so we are in the low-to-mid 7% range as I write this analysis. If the inflation data continues to come in weak, interest rates will continue to drift lower even if the Fed does not cut their rates. When will the Fed actually begin to cut interest rates? No one really knows but my guess would be late 2024/early 2025 at the earliest.

Overall, the market the market remains a strong seller’s market and the prices will probably continue to grind higher. I have seen multiple offers on my listings and listings that I’ve made offers for my buyers as inventory levels remain low. When I’ve asked my buyers who purchased and are actively looking to purchase why they are buying today they tell me that they have the need to do it, they can afford it, and believe that when interest rates come down home prices will probably be higher so they rather buy now and just refi their interest rate when interest rates come down in the next few years. As someone very smart once told me, you can always refi your rate lower, but you can’t refi your purchase price lower. It’ll be interesting to see how the rest of 2023 plays out.

Attachments

• October 2023 Irvine Real Estate Data.png
    October 2023 Irvine Real Estate Data.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 18
Below are 5-year charts for new listings, active listings on the market, total closings, and median price per square foot.

Attachments

• Median Price per SF - Oct 2023.png
    Median Price per SF - Oct 2023.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Closed Sales - Oct 2023.png
    Closed Sales - Oct 2023.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Active Listings - Oct 2023.png
    Active Listings - Oct 2023.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 15
  • New Listings - Oct 2023.png
    New Listings - Oct 2023.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for the detailed analysis Martin. Any thoughts on increasing pent-up demand for first time homebuyers to move-up, which might cause a surge in home listings as rates come down and those homebuyers start to see an opportunity to finally upgrade? If that were to happen, inventory levels could go up and negatively-correlate with decreasing rates; i'm curious how home values would respond based on these conflicting triggers (increasing inventory vs decreasing rates).

Have you ever looked at prices with inflation factored in? Prices are basically flat factoring in inflation over the last year. This same thing happened in the 80's. Interesting to look at home prices vs inflation over the years (if you happen to know what values were at any given time).

Not surprised how the Irvine market did before China lifted their covid restrictions. Early 2023 the restrictions were lifted in China hence the sales volume picking up.

Again it shows how Irvine is so dependent on one group of buyers. As I will always say “it’s all good until it isn’t”.

Thanks for the detailed analysis Martin. Any thoughts on increasing pent-up demand for first time homebuyers to move-up, which might cause a surge in home listings as rates come down and those homebuyers start to see an opportunity to finally upgrade? If that were to happen, inventory levels could go up and negatively-correlate with decreasing rates; i'm curious how home values would respond based on these conflicting triggers (increasing inventory vs decreasing rates).

I do believe that as rates move down it will result in additional inventory coming to market from sellers who are looking to either move-up or downsize but those lower rates will also cause buyers who have gone onto the sidelines to come back into the market more than offsetting the increase in the new listings that will come to market. Ultimately I think that inventory levels will remain low unless we have a recession with a material increase in unemployment which would both decrease demand and force some people to list their homes for sale. The other wildcard that may increase some supply is if the gov't increases the gain exemption from $500k to $1m for married couples ($250k to $500k for single folks). Prop 19 has helped a bit on the margin for those 55 and over but the increase in the gain exemption would probably move the needle a bit more. Also, the longer that time goes on and rates stay higher the more that people will get used to the current interest rate environment and be more open to purchasing a home with rates that are 2x of what they were at the lows.

Have you ever looked at prices with inflation factored in? Prices are basically flat factoring in inflation over the last year. This same thing happened in the 80's. Interesting to look at home prices vs inflation over the years (if you happen to know what values were at any given time).

Yes, if you factor in inflation over the past year prices adjusted prices are basically flat. However, if looked at where prices were in Dec 2022 compared April/May 2022 the inflation adjusted price declines were around 15%. In a more stable inflation environment over the longer term, a reasonable annual assumption for real estate price appreciation in desirable markets like Orange County should be 3-4% per year.

Not surprised how the Irvine market did before China lifted their covid restrictions. Early 2023 the restrictions were lifted in China hence the sales volume picking up.

Again it shows how Irvine is so dependent on one group of buyers. As I will always say “it’s all good until it isn’t”.

Yeah, I also believe that China living the covid zero restrictions in early 2023 has driven some of the outsized price appreciation in Irvine since 40-50% of all purchases are now all cash in Irvine. That being said, Orange County as a whole has not gotten back to the peak median price per square foot of $631 in May 2022 as the October 2023 price per square foot stands at $618 (was $629 in September 2023) and that is most likely due that most all other cities don't have as many cash buyers as Irvine does so prices have probably been effected more by higher interest rates.

Thanks for the detailed information! Also, I highly recommend Martin as a selling agent.

I just completed a sale with Martin and he did really a great job. From the beginning, he listened to my thoughts and hopes and found ways to accommodate them. Then he analyzed the history and current market situation to price the house correctly. Then, the most important part IMO, he prepared the house in the best ways before listing. Then he personally hosted open house at the right time. Finally, after we got offers, this is also important, he negotiated with skills to get the most desirable offer for me.

In the end, I got one of the highest selling prices in the neighborhood, and I call it the compound effect to get such an offer. Little things by little things done properly, you get a big reward. Give Martin a call and you are in good hands.

It is amazing (somewhat depressing) how the value of our money has gone down over the years....
Houses that I know the value of vs what they would have cost to buy them in today's dollars
Yes, if you factor in inflation over the past year prices adjusted prices are basically flat. However, if looked at where prices were in Dec 2022 compared April/May 2022 the inflation adjusted price declines were around 15%. In a more stable inflation environment over the longer term, a reasonable annual assumption for real estate price appreciation in desirable markets like Orange County should be 3-4% per year.
I played around with some vs inflation and was absolutely shocked by how much our buying power has lost. Houses are up after inflation under almost every date I could put in with houses I knew the value of but the increase was much less than I thought after inflation.

My mom's house is up 50 TIMES what she paid 59 years ago but only 5 times with inflation factored in. Adding in what would have been spent during that time (concrete driveway, at least one furnace replacement, maybe a/c (didn't come with ac), new garage door with opener, repaint, reflooring (came with carpet), at least two or three water heaters, at least two new roofs/repairs, landscaping, updated counters, cabinets etc) which would typically happen then and it's up even less (plus cost to sell which is based on entire price).

How is that? The value of the dollar has lost 90%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! during that time.

There were some time frames more recently that actually would have lost vs inflation plus cost to sell without anything being done EXCEPT there was the $500K exclusion. We're fortunate houses cost alot. In areas with lost cost, owning a house isn't as great as far as investment.

Lennar was 3.50 at it's low after 2008. It's 127 today. That was an amazing trade if anyone caught it (not me).

Last edited:
I haven't seen any movement on this proposal which was introduced more than a year ago. I'm not even sure it's worth discussing as it's so early on in the legislative process..

Yeah, I'm not counting on that happening either but it's out there and if enough people complain about the lack of inventory it might get some traction.

Yeah, I'm not counting on that happening either but it's out there and if enough people complain about the lack of inventory it might get some traction.
Wait till SALT cap at $10,000 expired 2025, it’ll give more incentive to buy $1+mil homes .

I haven't seen any movement on this proposal which was introduced more than a year ago. I'm not even sure it's worth discussing as it's so early on in the legislative process..
There is also zero incentive for the government to increase these thresholds. Government would collect less taxes and wouldn’t be a good idea especially being 33T in debt.

The problem we have is not enough housing. Increasing the exemption amount does not create more homes. It only increases the existing supply of homes. If anything it will only cause prices to go up and benefit existing home buyers. It also wouldn’t help the “lock in” effect covid created.

Last edited:
I do believe that as rates move down it will result in additional inventory coming to market from sellers who are looking to either move-up or downsize but those lower rates will also cause buyers who have gone onto the sidelines to come back into the market more than offsetting the increase in the new listings that will come to market. Ultimately I think that inventory levels will remain low unless we have a recession with a material increase in unemployment which would both decrease demand and force some people to list their homes for sale. The other wildcard that may increase some supply is if the gov't increases the gain exemption from $500k to $1m for married couples ($250k to $500k for single folks). Prop 19 has helped a bit on the margin for those 55 and over but the increase in the gain exemption would probably move the needle a bit more. Also, the longer that time goes on and rates stay higher the more that people will get used to the current interest rate environment and be more open to purchasing a home with rates that are 2x of what they were at the lows.
Historically did increased new home supply cause home price to stay flat? I think we have new homes at Potola Springs, Orchard Hills and Great Park in 2024?

Last edited:
Historically did increased new home supply cause home price to stay flat? I think we have new homes at Potola Springs, Orchard Hills and Great Park in 2024?
Builders release new homes very slowly, 5-6 homes per month, so the supply don't really increase that much. Portola Springs has about 300 SFRs and about 150 condos left. About half of the SFRs are view lots so they don't even make it out of the priority list.

SALT cap will more than likely be capped again.
Will be capped at what increase? That is the question.Even with Dem or Rep controls 3 branches, they all want to increase the cap. West/East coast states have wanted to do increase it for few years. Texas and Florida also want to remove or increase due to rise in property valuations in their states.

Will be capped at what increase? That is the question.Even with Dem or Rep controls 3 branches, they all want to increase the cap. West/East coast states have wanted to do increase it for few years. Texas and Florida also want to remove or increase due to rise in property valuations in their states.
I’m not a fortune teller but my prediction would be that it will not get raised. SALT cap doesn’t matter as much in Florida and Texas because most homes there aren’t 1m+ and they have no state income tax. Only CA/NY are impacted the most by SALT cap.

Why would republicans want to take away a great source of income for the country targeted at CA/NY upper middle and upper income taxpayers? Only dems want SALT cap to be raised. Dems have no leverage or reasonings to negotiate SALT cap since it’s only helping the upper and upper middle class.

Last edited:
Back