October 11th VP Debate Expectations

Who do you expect to win the debate Thursday night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

winex

One reason that most people were surprised by the debate last week is because of pre-debate expectations.  To be perfectly blunt, Mitt Romney isn't the most exciting speaker.  It is also true that the Obama campaign has focused on demonizing Mitt Romney since it became apparent that he would be the Republican nominee.

When Mitt Romney came on stage and was able to clearly articulate a vision for the country that didn't involve pushing your grandmother over a cliff to avoid paying for her Social Security and Medicare, peoples preconceived opinions were challenged.

Performance isn't the only thing that matters in a debate, perceptions are also important.  Though I do plan on running a post VP debate poll and two more post Presidential debate polls, this is the only pre-debate poll that I plan on posting.

With all that having been said, what do you think will happen Thursday.  This poll will expire in 3 days, so vote early and vote often.

ok, it is a secret vote, but nothing prevents you from sharing your opinion.  Here is mine.

On substance, Paul Ryan is capable of ripping Biden apart.  Ryan is intelligent, detail oriented, and has a passion for obscure details especially anything related to the Federal budget.  He was a Congressional staffer for the late Jack Kemp.  If that doesn't tell you about his economic vision, I don't know what possibly can. 

I have been following Ryan's career for years, and I was very pleased when it was announced that he was Romney's running mate.

Contrast that with Biden.  Like a lot of people, I first became familiar with Joe Biden in 1987 when he plagiarized one of Neil Kinnock's speeches in his campaign for President.

More recently there is this quote from last week "'Obama and Biden want to raise taxes by a trillion dollars. Guess what? Yes, we do" - Source: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...o-raise-1t-in-taxes-on-wealthy/#ixzz28oNqi39M

Or this one from the week before ""How they can justify -- how they can justify raising taxes on the middle class that's been buried the last four years." Source :http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ast-4-years-republicans-pounce/#ixzz28oOHKAMx

Or this quote from August speaking before a largely black audience in Virginia in August - "in the first hundred days he's going to let the big banks once again write their own rules -- unchain Wall Street. "They're going to put y'all back in chains"  Source: http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ill-put-you-all-back-in-chains/1#.UHQzRFHTcwA

Biden is not only a gaffe a minute, but also a dolt.

But that has me worried.

Expectations going in are low.  If he can clear a low hurdle, he could be viewed as the winner of the debate.  Also, even though he is an idiot, there is a certain folksy manner in his style that *MAY* connect with people.

Obviously I am hoping that the truth wins out and that Biden embarrasses himself.  But this one has me nervous.

I have no expectations from Joe Biden except hoping that he doesn't say something too controversial, and this will be my first time watching Paul Ryan talk other than watch him in news. Also, being an undecided voter at this stage, I am hoping this debate will add more clarity.

i voted neither... lot of ammo for either candidate to bombard the other and distract voters from the issues at hand

and even if one candidate wins, the super PACs will just flip it around some way

i guess i would be more enthusiastic if california was a swing state =_=;; the polls right now here in CA is like +40 points for obama

damn... i just checked lol!! nationally, romneys up +0.7!!!

yeah i stand corrected haha its +20 here...

I think it's going to go something like this -

578364_161110664029441_953870172_n.jpg

Here is a classic exchange between Ryan and Geithner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_f20ZDBj5k&feature=related

Back