[OCReg] OCs Best Public Elementary Schools 2012

May be fitness was the reason why Irvine schools are behind Santa Ana's #2 and #3. Those fat and well fed kids are not getting enough exercise walking from Gucci to Fendi while the Santa Ana kids are in better shape by taking the bus, walking home and running away from Irvine cops.

Irvinecommuter said:
It's nice that OCR talks about looking at other aspects but I can guarantee that a majority of the people go straight to the academic marker.

Then they must all be clamoring to go to Ladera Palma Elementary (La Habra), Jack L. Weaver Elementary (Los Alamitos), John Muir Fundamental Elementary (Santa Ana), Newland Elementary (Fountain Valley), and Jim Thorpe Fundamental Elementary (Santa Ana), which took the top five spots in the academic ranking.

A measurement of a school's success is a balance between intellectual exam performance, athleticism, social happiness, cultural and ethnic diversities (including black, Latinos) and dedication in attendance. OCR did place a majority of 50% on test score.

traceimage said:
Irvinecommuter said:
It's nice that OCR talks about looking at other aspects but I can guarantee that a majority of the people go straight to the academic marker.

Then they must all be clamoring to go to Ladera Palma Elementary (La Habra), Jack L. Weaver Elementary (Los Alamitos), John Muir Fundamental Elementary (Santa Ana), Newland Elementary (Fountain Valley), and Jim Thorpe Fundamental Elementary (Santa Ana), which took the top five spots in the academic ranking.

Not really.  Going back to the discussion about whether IUSD adds value to an Irvine home, education is one part (a major part) of the equation of where one decides to live.  Crime, jobs, services, and general asthetics of the area.

All are important in choosing a place to live. You are right about all aspects that justify paying a much higher $/sf for a home.

There is a large population who can't afford Irvine but are willing to compromise on somethings. I think it is great to see Garden Grove and Santa Ana having schools ahead of Irvine for the poor buyers who also want good schools for their children and settle for the other things that are less important for them like aesthetic, a 5 minute commute, or become a victim of violent crime. (don't kid yourself Irvine has just a much petty and misdemeanor crimes just like other cities).

Liar Loan said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
I missed  Northwood at #6. Resale prices will likely be increased by 10% today.
:mad:

here is the gold medal list

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/schools-327672-school-elementary.html?data=1&appSession=36783492950920#article-data
Wow, that Garden Grove school has a 980 API score and those Santa Ana schools had some big increases in their API scores from 2010 to 2011.

That Garden Grove school is located in Fountain Valley.
http://www.ggusd.k12.ca.us/allen/

Yep, on Bushard and Edinger... Went there for Gate school  :)

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Good catch!

The school was once situated on Garden Grove farmland but during the 50's FV's tract expansion surrounded the school thus the residential land was incorporated into FV. The school however was not due to its district boundary.

Many people don't realize that Garden Grove still borders Fountain Valley on the north side of Mile Square Park.  I remember being surprised to learn this as an adult after having grown up in Fountain Valley.  Garden Grove might be the most awkwardly-shaped city in all of OC.  It has little fingers that stick out in every direction.

I thought that part was Westminster no?

homer_simpson said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Good catch!

The school was once situated on Garden Grove farmland but during the 50's FV's tract expansion surrounded the school thus the residential land was incorporated into FV. The school however was not due to its district boundary.

Many people don't realize that Garden Grove still borders Fountain Valley on the north side of Mile Square Park.  I remember being surprised to learn this as an adult after having grown up in Fountain Valley.  Garden Grove might be the most awkwardly-shaped city in all of OC.  It has little fingers that stick out in every direction.

I thought that part was Westminster no?

That's what I had always assumed.  If you search Garden Grove on Redfin it will outline the city and you'll see that it borders Mile Square.

There was a big dream to connecting OC to LA via a raised rail. This easement is visible as a long strip of vacant land stretching for miles through Anaheim, Garden Grove, and Santa Ana. This strip is diagonal to the OC grid layout but you can see it on google aerial near the angled Century Blvd in Garden Grove. This is a part of the reason GG boundary bleeds through adjacent cities in a weird way.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Garden+Grove,+CA&hl=en&sll=34.012728,-118.120458&sspn=0.081391,0.153637&vpsrc=0&hnear=Garden+Grove,+Orange,+California&t=h&z=13

Back