OC Power Authority

CalBears96 said:
Innosint said:
iirc the roll out is in waves. Maybe you are not in the this one or already passed?

I haven't received enrollment notice. I guess I'll have to wait until then.

Are you receiving this message when trying to opt-out?

This account is currently not eligible to opt out. Please contact our toll free number at (866) 262-7693 8AM-5PM PT for further assistance.

paydawg said:
CalBears96 said:
Innosint said:
iirc the roll out is in waves. Maybe you are not in the this one or already passed?

This account is currently not eligible to opt out. Please contact our toll free number at (866) 262-7693 8AM-5PM PT for further assistance.

Not, it says:

Account cannot be found. Please verify that all your information is correct and try again.

I moved in a week after Calbear. Mine is new construction too and I was able to opt out.

I already signed up  Net Metering with SCE for my 20kwh/a day solar system. I dont know if OCPA will mess with the program.

paydawg said:
CalBears96 said:
Innosint said:

I see this message when I try to opt out.  Did you call them to opt out?

bwpunch said:
paydawg said:
CalBears96 said:
Innosint said:

Not yet, but will try calling soon.

I was able to use the link to opt out. Super shady page, where they hide the submit button behind a hidden scroll page. Everything about this plan is not good.

super shady company...someone said it, they could be buying the cheapest 100% renewable plan from SCE and re-sale to residents at a higher premium, pocketing the difference as profit. The fact everyone is automatically enrolled in the most expensive plan, lack of notice and difficult to opt out says it all..

devhyfes said:
I was able to use the link to opt out. Super shady page, where they hide the submit button behind a hidden scroll page. Everything about this plan is not good.

paydawg said:
bwpunch said:
paydawg said:
CalBears96 said:
Innosint said:

Not yet, but will try calling soon.

I called the number and punched in my SCE customer account number and their automated system is indicating my account is 'already opted-out'.  Not sure how that happened. 

aquabliss said:
What happens if you have solar panels and don't Opt-Out?
It looks like customers who are enrolled in net metering with SCE will be transitioned at their next true up date.

If you have solar AND generate more than you use then this is a small win since they pay an extra 10% over SCE?s NSC rate. It looks like you will still receive an annual bill from SCE for meter reads and transmission though. I?m not sure the 10% is worth the hassle of an extra bill.

I got the "account not recognized" error and doubled checked my SCE account info and turns out the zip code SCE has for my address isn't my zip code - go figure. Was able to get the opt out through on the website with that change, so definitely worth a double check.

moc said:
I got the "account not recognized" error and doubled checked my SCE account info and turns out the zip code SCE has for my address isn't my zip code - go figure. Was able to get the opt out through on the website with that change, so definitely worth a double check.

I double checked and SCE does have the correct zip code. I guess I'll have to call OCPA to opt out.  :p

I found out why my account was not found. I called OCPA and was told that my address is not part of their "program". I wonder if it's the entire Portola Springs or just the newer part of Portola Springs. Two of my co-workers (one at Hillside and the other one at an older KB home community built back in 2012) said they don't remember getting the notice.

When talking to people in Irvine about OCPA, the most common responses seem to be:
* I haven't received any notification from OCPA
* I thought it was junk mail, so I threw it in the trash
* I don't understand what's going on

It's rather alarming that so few people know/understand anything about OCPA... let alone being very knowledgeable about the situation.

Interestingly, it seems like the more people learn about OCPA, the more unhappy/angry they are about the situation and the more adamant they are about opting out.

Are there any Talk-Irvine forum members who are actually choosing to stay with OCPA?  If so, is it at the 100% Renewable Energy Level?

shady practice....looks at the rate difference between SCE and OCPA for the 100% renewable plan, people are default to OCPA 100% renewable so that means OCPA is probably pocketing the difference...buy from SCE and sell it higher to the residents.

BusyHomeowner said:
When talking to people in Irvine about OCPA, the most common responses seem to be:

It's rather alarming that so few people know/understand anything about OCPA... let alone being very knowledgeable about the situation.

Interestingly, it seems like the more people learn about OCPA, the more unhappy/angry they are about the situation and the more adamant they are about opting out.

Are there any Talk-Irvine forum members who are actually choosing to stay with OCPA?  If so, is it at the 100% Renewable Energy Level?

BusyHomeowner said:

I would opt out. Even if I were to choose to stay with OCPA, it's definitely NOT 100% Renewable because that's the most expensive choice in every plan.

Take Domestic Plan (Tier) Regeneration Charge for example:

Basic Choice: $0.09843
Smart Choice: $0.10843
100% Renewable Choice: $0.11343

zovall said:
That OCPA flyer shows that SCE has a 100% Green plan that is the cheapest of all?
How did something like this get approved as an opt-out versus an opt-in? And they muscled SCE into doing so? Must be some pretty powerful and shady people. Please do point out if this is a better deal for residents - it certainly doesn?t seem like it.

zovall -

In answer to all the residents (and business owners) who ask ?How is it even legal for the Irvine City Council to do this?...

The Public Utilities Commission website says, in part, ?Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) was enacted by Assembly Bill 117 (AB 117) in 2002. Under AB 117, "all electrical corporations must cooperate fully with community choice aggregators investigating, pursuing, or implementing community choice aggregator programs."  It also says ?Potential customers within a community's service area are automatically enrolled in a CCA program unless they opt out, provided that they are notified in writing of their right to opt out.?

Is it true that the Orange County Power Authority (OCPA) CEO has no college degree and/or experience in the Energy sector?  If so, why was he even considered for the position?

Interestingly, the Orange County Grand Jury report on OCPA indicates that:
* ?County executive job descriptions normally include the requirement of an advanced degree or significant managerial experience in the relevant field.?
* ?Inexplicably, the position descriptions for [OCPA] COO and CEO were not made publicly available prior to the hiring decision. The job descriptions also lacked any requirement for prior education, experience, knowledge of the electrical utility or energy industries, or CCEs. Recruiting efforts were minimal at best, despite these public positions being highly demanding and very well compensated. This is not consistent with best practices. The positions require the public?s trust and, preferably, prior familiarity with CCEs.?

Cares said:
Anyone know if SCE or OCPA is better for solar customers?

Post #29 may answer your question.

"If you have solar AND generate more than you use then this is a small win since they pay an extra 10% over SCE?s NSC rate. It looks like you will still receive an annual bill from SCE for meter reads and transmission though. I?m not sure the 10% is worth the hassle of an extra bill. "

Back