Oblivious Parents

The issue here is courtesy. TR and Deuce get it. Thank you both.

My last flight from Chicago to John Wayne was near Christmas, and I got stuck in front of a young family of three - including a newborn with a shitty diaper, that never got changed. THE WHOLE WAY. There is no escape on a plane with a fussy baby like in a restaurant, but the minimum courtesy of changing the shitty diaper would of went a long way to either getting that brat to shut up or at least making the baby less offensive to the rest of the cabin. I have an iPod set on maximum volume for just such occasions (I learned this trick playing in poker tournaments next to obnoxious, drunk, or otherwise out of line players). No such device exists for my nose (also something I learned from playing in poker tournaments).

Courtesy - pass it on. That means you Mojo!

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1257128393]The issue here is courtesy. TR and Deuce get it. Thank you both.

My last flight from Chicago to John Wayne was near Christmas, and I got stuck in front of a young family of three - including a newborn with a shitty diaper, that never got changed. THE WHOLE WAY. There is no escape on a plane with a fussy baby like in a restaurant, but the minimum courtesy of changing the shitty diaper would of went a long way to either getting that brat to shut up or at least making the baby less offensive to the rest of the cabin. I have an iPod set on maximum volume for just such occasions (I learned this trick playing in poker tournaments next to obnoxious, drunk, or otherwise out of line players). No such device exists for my nose (also something I learned from playing in poker tournaments).

Courtesy - pass it on. That means you Mojo!</blockquote>

Menthol under the nose... works great when your anywhere near dead bodies.

Had a flight to hell last year when we got stranded in Guangzhou last year for eleven hours when our plane couldn't land in Hong Kong due to weather related issues. There was no food on the plane, almost running low on water, and the Govt of china didn't let anyone get out of the plane. Some red tape issues. The kids cried so much, and there was nothing anyone could do. Luckily I only had my older daughter with me who understood the situation and behaved. The mothers of the little ones gave up in the end and let them crawl/ run around the plane. The old people were very irritated, but nothing could be done.

Most of the people thought that the plane was hijacked.. it was the worst of all my flying experiences. Haven't stepped in one after that.. Dreading my Christmas night flight of 14 hours to Hong Kong.

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1257129276]

Menthol under the nose... works great when your anywhere near dead bodies.</blockquote>

Are they going to let me take menthol through TSA?!!??

<strong></strong>[quote author="MojoJD" date=1257125391][quote author="Sunshine" date=1257037801]I used to fly a lot for business and I've pretty much seen it all -- unruly children, drunks, family arguments and emergencies in which a flight attendant asks if a doctor, nurse, or EMT is on the plane. However, there is one experience that stays with me. On my way back from a Hawaii vacation a few years ago, there was a young mom (~20-23) by herself with an infant (<12 mo.), seated a few rows behind me. The baby cried on and off for the entire flight. At times, she was crying so "hard" that her face was changing colors and she was making herself sick. Nothing worked. Bottle/food? No. Walking? No. Toys? No. Teether, pacifier or Children's Tylenol? No. The mom passed the baby off to a few other women seated around her who offered assistance, and still, nothing worked. She kept apologizing to everyone around her, and then she started crying. Before I knew it, there were about 5-6 women seated around her (including me), who were also crying. There was nowhere she could go to "escape" the glaring eyes of some of the passengers. The poor baby was making herself sick crying, and there wasn't a damn thing anybody could do about it.</blockquote>

<strong>Then postpone your Hawaii vacation </strong>and dont take your infant on a god damned plane. I fully expect that i will not be traveling by plane. I will forego my exotic pacific island vacations for those few years... or simply the baby with the grandparents.

And the whole point of my earlier post, and where I think the big disconnect is happening here <strong>between the non-parents and parents</strong>, is that the OUT OF CONTROL children - per the situation - are the main factor here. If you have a 6 year old who can dine at a restaurant, you have my sincerest congratulations and I would never be bothered just because your child is present. If you have a rambunctious unruly 6 year old, however, and he gets out of control like always in that same restaurant - you should have known.

This is a sliding scale concept, with age and behavior as a factor. Babies, of course, are ALWAYS on the far end of the spectrum and should not be taken places where other people are trying to enjoy their food, movies, theater, etc.

So - <strong>argumentative posters</strong> should calm down a tad and realize that we are not talking about you just because you have children.</blockquote>

Hey pot:

1. I don't have kids.

2. Why do you assume that the young mother was in Hawaii on vacation? Her husband could very well be stationed in Hawaii and off fighting a war. I don't know, and you don't either. Life happens, and not everyone on a plane is departing for, or returning from, a vacation.

Attorneys have to carefully consider all of the facts and anticipate arguments from opposing counsel. Similarly, in life, I don't ever presume to know or understand a person's circumstances without having the facts.

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1257129276][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1257128393]The issue here is courtesy. TR and Deuce get it. Thank you both.

Menthol under the nose... works great when your anywhere near dead bodies.</blockquote>

Have you ever tried to change a diaper in a plane lavatory? Granted, I wouldn't leave my kid in a poopy diaper for a flight but my one and only experience changing one in the lavatory was very unpleasant for both myself and my daughter. Her poor little head was hanging off of the top of the toilet seat, it was really ridiculous.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1257125391]Then postpone your Hawaii vacation and dont take your infant on a god damned plane. I fully expect that i will not be traveling by plane. I will forego my exotic pacific island vacations for those few years... or simply the baby with the grandparents.</blockquote>

Young mother flying back from Hawaii by herself with an infant... The odds are very high she was a Navy wife taking her baby to visit its father for the first time.

Oh, nevermind, I see that Sunshine already got there. :)

[quote author="tmare" date=1257131357]Have you ever tried to change a diaper in a plane lavatory? Granted, I wouldn't leave my kid in a poopy diaper for a flight but my one and only experience changing one in the lavatory was very unpleasant for both myself and my daughter. Her poor little head was hanging off of the top of the toilet seat, it was really ridiculous.</blockquote>

This one was deuced before we even left the gate, and no, I haven't, and no, I can't imagine it being easy.

The topic of the thread is <strong>Oblivious Parents</strong> and any one with half a brain can pick these people out in a heart beat.

A parent on a plane or in a store doing everything they can to correct their childrens behavior is probably not <strong>oblivious.</strong>

I am an expert in trrenter's childrens behavior. I know the places I can take them, I know their tolerance levels for all things public, and I know how long they can sit still.

With the youngest my wife and I usually take separate cars almost everywhere because he has a short fuse and if it goes off boom and he is done.

Most parents know this about thier kids and chose to ignore them so they can continue to try to live the prechild life.

This thread could be named <strong>Oblivious ....</strong> becuase I don't think this character trait is unique to just parents.

I had many run ins with <strong>Oblivious dog owners</strong>. These people let their dogs off their leashes or bring them where they are not allowed and are oblivious to how others react.

When their dog comes running up to me and my kids playing in the park off of a leash the like to say "don't worry they are friendly." I like to reply please be worried because I am very alergic to dogs and if I have a siezure I am suing you becuase your dog is not supposed to be running free.

I am not alergic by the way but I find the get their dog the hell away from us.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1257128393]

Nah, its much easier for me to just make assumptions and vilify things/people that inconvenience me. I'm too pragmatic to think I can make a change in the world and not nearly nice enough to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1257211758][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1257128393]

Nah, its much easier for me to just make assumptions and vilify things/people that inconvenience me. I'm too pragmatic to think I can make a change in the world and not nearly nice enough to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.</blockquote>

Maybe, but you certainly are overcompensating for it by being a self absorbed ass. Just sayin'.

Or its entertaining provocation of debate. ;) In regards the airplane and baby situation, I may not have had all the facts for the example given there, but in my last flight back from Tahiti, there were definitely 2 screeeeeeeaming babies with their vacationing family. And that was no assumption. 8 hours of intermittent ear-hell .... I am supposed to be happy and understanding about that?

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1257212792]Or its entertaining provocation of debate. ;) </blockquote>

Ah - I know all about that game. Carry on!

Seems like our childless contributors here have much taller soapbox`s than the rest of us in this thread. LOL.

I have done the diaper in the airplane thing. Its not pretty. But you need to be prepared for these

"events" on a longer flight with the youngling. I always felt sorry for the little guy when he could not clear his ears

like adults could on a plane. You could see he was very uncomfortable. Flight attendents always were great when they

would see us work hard to do our best with the "kid" on a long flight. Thankfully he was good about 90% of the time.

I can understand restaurants, even before I had kids, I was tolerant of such things.

Planes are also in that "sometimes you can't avoid it" category.

Movies on the other hand... not so much. Especially if it's at night and it's not a family film... I mean... it's not like the kid is even watching it in the first place so of course they are going to cry and fuss.

And just remember, each and every one of you was some crying, annoying, pants pooper at one time... some of you still are (that means you no_vas)!

Back