Obama Healthcare Speech

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1254230122][quote author="MojoJD" date=1254208448]Not sure if this was already covered, but in response to the "capping awards" debate, its kind of overblown. We have such a cap here in California, and the costs are MINIMALLY passed on to the doctors vs. other states. Numerous studies have concluded that this measure did little in achieving its desired result; a MUCH smaller % reduction in costs. People should re-think this as the end-all.

And guess what, doctors still tell me all the time how they have to practice defensive medicine here in CA.

oh well. and for the record, I dont think free healthcare is a right. take care of yourself and cover your nut! And if we are going to have some kind of universal or supplementary system, are we going to tax the fatties? It would make sense. We have mandatory car insurance, but bad, accident-prone drivers who get tickets PAY MORE. Why can't we make unhealthy slobs pay more?</blockquote>

They already do pay more for their "fat" individual healthcare coverage.... and then get denied life insurance too. Any other ways you want to punish them? Deny them a driver license, so they have to walk their fat arses all over town maybe?</blockquote>

Oh thats a GREAT idea!!! That would trim them up real fast!

Actually, to be quite honest, you dont know what you're talking about. MOST people get covered through their, or their spouses, employee plan. They get grouped in to the <strong>same </strong>work coverage as everyone else. And they pay the same. An office full of heffer secretaries eating bon bons all day will make the group rates <em>skyrocket </em>when they start needing all the extra procedures and suffer increased complications of diseases which could have been put off for decades more (diabetes). So.... I pay for it, as do most people who have insurance through their work.

If they wanted to pool together and congregate into a "fatties" insurance pool, then thats fine by me.

And the basic idea behind insurance is a cost pooling/sharing on a broad level to help cover individual catastrophes and unforeseen major illness. When you have a group of people consistently EATING into that cost pool more than others, I think its irresponsible - especially if its something that can be prevented and remedied with self discipline.

edit/addition: life insurance is not a right and is not part of this debate. the concept of receiving money for dying is an abstract that is completely detached from the healthcare debate. further, I think if you engage in risky behavior (illicit drugs, cageless shark chum diving, <em>haagen daz</em>, professional car racing, etc.) then you should pay more or be denied coverage. Its a business decision.

Back