Obama/Biden plans to turn the United States into the next Banana Republic

WINEX_IHB

Political passions run deeply.

No leader can be effective in an environment where every action will be scrutinized after the fact with an eye towards punishing people for differences in political opinion. <a href="http://www.watergate.info/ford/pardon.shtml">In one of the brightest spots of his Presidency, Gerald Ford said</a> "The facts, as I see them, are that a former President of the United States, instead of enjoying equal treatment with any other citizen accused of violating the law, would be cruelly and excessively penalized either in preserving the presumption of his innocence or in obtaining a speedy determination of his guilt in order to repay a legal debt to society. During this long period of delay and potential litigation, ugly passions would again be aroused. And our people would again be polarized in their opinions. And the credibility of our free institutions of government would again be challenged at home and abroad."

Of course Gerald Ford was referring to the Watergate incident and crimes that may have been committed by Richard Nixon.

While Gerald Ford pardoned someone who belonged to his political party, the same basic courtesies have been granted to former Presidents by other parties. There are several things that President Clinton did in his term in office that should be considered treasonous. But no prosecutions occurred.

Now we have <a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/03/uselections2008.joebiden">this</a> from the Obama/Biden campaign.

<em>"If there has been a basis upon which you can pursue someone for a criminal violation, they will be pursued," Biden said during a campaign event in Deerfield Beach, Florida, according to ABC.

"[N]ot out of vengeance, not out of retribution," he added, "out of the need to preserve the notion that no one, no attorney general, no president -- no one is above the law."

Obama sounded a similar note in April, vowing that if elected, he would ask his attorney general to initiate a prompt review of Bush-era actions to distinguish between possible "genuine crimes" and "really bad policies".

"f crimes have been committed, they should be investigated," Obama told the Philadelphia Daily News. "You're also right that I would not want my first term consumed by what was perceived on the part of Republicans as a partisan witch hunt, because I think we've got too many problems we've got to solve."</em>

The inference, of course, is the decision to go to war in Iraq. A decision that Joe Biden supported in his position as a United States.

If you look back at history, the cult of personality has been used to raise very dangerous men into positions of power. Is this the kind of change we need in our country?

Personally, I'm going to keep clinging to my religion and my guns.

Who are trying to scare? More importantly, do you think our side is so desperate that we need to frighten people into voting for McCain? I swear, sometimes I think you're a troll from DU trying to make Republicans look bad.

So you think that political prosecutions of your enemies is alright?

Obama has already announced that he wants to criminally prosecute people who speak of his association with known terrorists.

Now he wants to prosecute officials who made decisions that he doesn't agree with.

If Obama is elected, can we expect him to order the National Guard to surround the White House with tanks when it is time for him to step down from office?

So what does this have to do with Banana Republic? And... what is wrong with Banana Republic? Isn't that where all the wacky conservatives get their khaki pants to match their blue blazer, white shirt, and red tie? Wouldn't that be a good thing for conservatives then?

[quote author="WINEX" date=1220527830]So you think that political prosecutions of your enemies is alright?

Obama has already announced that he wants to criminally prosecute people who speak of his association with known terrorists.

Now he wants to prosecute officials who made decisions that he doesn't agree with.

If Obama is elected, can we expect him to order the National Guard to surround the White House with tanks when it is time for him to step down from office?</blockquote>
Welcome to my ignore list. In the future, drinking and posting is always a bad idea.

>Welcome to my ignore list. In the future, drinking and posting is always a bad idea.

Oh no! I'm heart broken!

Oh, just for the record, I rarely drink and never do so on weeknights.

But I guess getting one last slam in before you run and hide makes you feel better.

I actually agree that abuse of power by the executive branch is a serious concern for the republic. But the problem has been the aggressive attacks by the Bush administration on defenses against executive overreach like judicial review, habeas corpus, congressional control of starting wars, and enforcement of law on the executive branch. The Dems don't defend our rights nearly as much as they should but they are definitely in the right direction. In terms of requiring that the government obey the law, I can't see what's objectionable about Biden's position. If governmental officials break the law they should be prosecuted. Judges, juries, and civil service procedures in the Justice department serve to defend against malicious prosecution.

On basically any issue of civil liberties, nonpartisan justice, and consistent legal standards, McCain has been the same or worse than Biden or Obama for the duration of the Bush administration. He used to be better (for example, he supported cutting off military funds to block military adventures under Clinton) but I'm not confident he'll revert if elected. In any case you just can't beat Obama as an advocate of clean, honest, fair government and well-considered processes for preventing abuse. He's been front and center on videotaping interrogations, habeas corpus, functional audit systems for Iraq and Katrina, and public information on earmarks, among much more.

Back