Obama Administration open to taxing health benefits

trrenter_IHB

Hmmmmm

<a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29703278/">Link</a>

I would say 180 but this it really seems like a 540!!

All I have to say about health care is that the whole thing is a mess. My own health care plan through work has seen double digit increases in costs for the past several years. My employer has no choice but to keep transferring those costs to me. At the same time, many members have received notice that their own doctors will no longer accept our coverage and some members are paying out of pocket to keep their doctors despite the fact that the insurer is receiving upwards of $20,000 a year per family. I don't presume to have the answers but obviously something has to be done. And by the way, trrenter, that avatar really scares me.

This is actually a push by Sen. Max Baucus. How this will pan out remains to be seen. Some <a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/11/AR2009031103827.html?hpid=moreheadlines">background</a>.

IMO taxing employer provided health benefits will just put another nail in the coffin for these benefits. They are already becoming cost prohibitive for both employer and employee, so a move to universal health care will make even more sense if they are taxed. No one wants to pay for health benefits anymore and the HMO's and PPO's probably know they are milking the system now for as long as it lasts and as much as they can get. Does anyone actually have a plan that makes sense?

Our Health Care system is in its death throws. 46 Million without coverage.

Emergency rooms closing. Doctors are getting squeezed by the insurance companies as well.

I went in for a skin screening a few months ago. Had a few moles removed. Because they turned out not to be "Positive" for any type of skin cancer. I get the bill. In talking to the Dermotologist. She was charging the Insurance Company twice what she charged me when I went back a few months later to have a another "growth" removed. Its all part of the game the Doctors play with the Insurance Companies. They charge an inflated fee and then months later

agree on a lesser rate. Its a constant upward spiral. Kind of like Real Estate was before it collapsed in on itself.

But the reality is no employers/employees will be able to afford insurance in the near future. That in itself will collapse the current system on its own. It is beyond sustainable

in its current form.

<strong>Topic - Obama not blasting this idea like he did during his campaign when McCain floated the idea.</strong>

The proposal is politically problematic for President Obama, however, since it is similar to one he denounced in the presidential campaign as ?the largest middle-class tax increase in history.?

The advertisements did not point out that Mr. McCain, in exchange, wanted to give all families a tax credit to subsidize the purchase of coverage.

<a href="http://vodpod.com/watch/1054072-post-debate-obama-ad-attacks-mccains-health-tax-plan">Taxing is a bridge to nowhere.</a>

Back