Number "114" or wait ?

Anfield

First time poster. Badly needing some opinions.

I have been waiting for a inner street lot in Belvedere, Eastwood. Finally it is here, but with only one lot of my desire floorplan, with the dreaded street number "114". I have to either take this or pay likely 5k more for the next phase, for another virtually identical lot.

I am not a superstitious person. But there is a chance I might sell it in 10 years time. With Chinese being the majority buyers these days, resale value of my house is very much in my mind.

I have heard opinions from either side, some say 5K extra for a 1.1M house is really nothing for an assurance of my investment. Others would say when it comes to resale, the number "4" is really not such a deterrent as it has been made to be.

The safe play is to wait and pay 5K. But it just makes me feel stupid to pay for others superstition, it may very well lessen the enjoyment of my new house.  :mad:

Take it.  Having a house without a 4 in it doesn't assure your investment anyhow. 

I think #4 in resale is overblown.  I rented from a Chinese guy in Irvine who owned a rental with a 4 in the address, and also his mailing address (down the street) had a 4 as well. 

Plus the $5k you think you're saving, could easily be $15k with Belvedere when they do the actual phase release.  If the lot is good and the location is good, I'd take it.

Anfield said:

I have been waiting for a inner street lot in Belvedere, Eastwood. Finally it is here, but with only one lot of my desire floorplan, with the dreaded street number "114". I have to either take this or pay likely 5k more for the next phase, for another virtually identical lot.

I am not a superstitious person. But there is a chance I might sell it in 10 years time. With Chinese being the majority buyers these days, resale value of my house is very much in my mind.

I have heard opinions from either side, some say 5K extra for a 1.1M house is really nothing for an assurance of my investment. Others would say when it comes to resale, the number "4" is really not such a deterrent as it has been made to be.

The safe play is to wait and pay 5K. But it just makes me feel stupid to pay for others superstition, it may very well lessen the enjoyment of my new house.  :mad:
In my opinion the extra $5K is definitely worth it, just so you don't have to listen to your friends (sometime jealous) or family commenting on it when you are having a party.  $50K difference is another story,

Cantonese - 14 = will die / 114 = die every day
Mandarin - 14 = wants to die

The #4 in addresses isn't always bad and chinese people will buy it, but the combination of 114 and 14 will make me pass...

Irvine Dream said:
Anfield said:

In my opinion the extra $5K is definitely worth it, just so you don't have to listen to your friends (sometime jealous) or family commenting on it when you are having a party.  $50K difference is another story,

This represents the vast majority of reasons I hear, why folks comply with superstitions - because they just don't want to hear everyone's opinion, repeatedly, as to why some feature of their house is "bad." It's beyond annoying, and if you can save yourself from this, it might be worth it. If you don't think your friends or family are the types who will do this, then $5K+ and waiting isn't worth it.

aquabliss said:
Take it.  Having a house without a 4 in it doesn't assure your investment anyhow. 

I think #4 in resale is overblown.  I rented from a Chinese guy in Irvine who owned a rental with a 4 in the address, and also his mailing address (down the street) had a 4 as well. 

Plus the $5k you think you're saving, could easily be $15k with Belvedere when they do the actual phase release.  If the lot is good and the location is good, I'd take it.

+1

bones said:
Cantonese - 14 = will die / 114 = die every day
Mandarin - 14 = wants to die

The #4 in addresses isn't always bad and chinese people will buy it, but the combination of 114 and 14 will make me pass...

On another note I noticed that Orchard Hill Gate office has the number "24".  Guess IHS or other planners that cater to cranes and Chinese didn't design OH Groves side.

Caucasian friend of mine bought a house in Irvine (off Culver near Bryan) that had a street number of 44.  When he went to sell his house, his buyer pool shrank as a lot of the Chinese buyers did not want that house number.  My friend even approached the city of Irvine to re-number his house but was told that Irvine no longer allows that.  He felt that the house could have sold for more money if his street number was not 44.

Irvine Dream said:

+1

If you follow that 114 Capella home in OH, you know $5k is nothing, even $50k extra is reasonable.  That Capella 114 home had to discount $150k and took about 6 month to unload. 

lnc said:
Irvine Dream said:

+1

If you follow that 114 Capella home in OH, you know $5k is nothing, even $50k extra is reasonable.  That Capella 114 home had to discount $150k and took about 6 month to unload.

An - you already know the answer.

Wait.

If you bought a home in Baker Ranch, you don't need care about it since not a lot of Chinese buy there.
If you bought  a home in Eastwood or Stonegate, no "4" is necessary.  114 is even worse.

aquabliss said:
Maybe you can ask George Chou of Presidential Incorporated Realty.

He's currently listing this home with address 141:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/141-Yellow-Daisy-92618/home/104498915

Seriously you should call him, he'll probably give some good advice.  It's a big investment and he would know if any of his "Chinese Buyers" have been turned off by the address on his listing.
George Chou would be of no help because I think a "4" middle is not concern but a '4" at end is .  Call Capella sales people and find out if they had difficulty selling 114 and 124

eyephone said:
lnc said:
Irvine Dream said:

+1

An - you already know the answer.
That 114 is not a fair comparison because it was also on a "T" Junction

Irvine Dream said:
aquabliss said:

He's currently listing this home with address 141:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/141-Yellow-Daisy-92618/home/104498915

Seriously you should call him, he'll probably give some good advice.  It's a big investment and he would know if any of his "Chinese Buyers" have been turned off by the address on his listing.
George Chou would be of no help because I think a "4" middle is not concern but a '4" at end is .  Call Capella sales people and find out if they had difficulty selling 114 and 124

Avoiding it like the plague. i'm actually still surprised the city approved the cemetery. Too much money to be made on the land it self.

Agree. 141,145,146 are OK. Not good enough but also not bad.

Those numbers ending with 4 is another story.
14 and 114 are worst.
Any 1X4, like 154, even 184 should be avoid

Irvine Dream said:
aquabliss said:

IrvineBS said:
This whole thread is so ridiculous. I cant believe this is an actual thing.

Oh the joys of Irivine

To be honest, my initial reaction was a sigh and an eye roll at first, too. But then, I started imagining that I moved to China and I bought a house where my address was "die bitch die". Even though I'm not superstitious, that would be really annoying.

Back