North park versus Woodury

OCMommy

Hi

If you had a chance to live in either Northpark or Woodbury, which would you choose and why?  What are the pros and cons of each neighborhood. Any personal experience would be appreciated too!

Thanks

Northpark:
Pros
+Guard gated
+Lower MR
+Multiple pocket parks/pools, beautiful central paseo
+Smaller/more intimate neighborhood versus WB
+No large IAC rental apartments within NP (though close by outside the gates)
+Access to Peters Canyon Trail

Cons
-Not IUSD (though the TUSD schools are excellent and comparable)
-Older homes
-Common area facilities are more dated versus WB

Woodbury:
Pros
+Multiple pocket parks, pools, and beautiful Commons area
+Newer homes
+IUSD
+Access to the Jeffrey Open Space Trail and walking distance to future Great Park

Cons
-Higher MR
-Feels crowded
-Surrounded by rental apartments with access to all WB amenities

I like NP's location better since it is closer to major shopping along the Jamboree corridor (The Marketplace  and The District) and walking distance to two neighborhood shopping centers (Orchard Hills and Northpark Plaza).

I'd pick NP over WB. 

NP:  I like the guard gate.  My wife doesn't like staying home alone w. the kids when I travel for work.  A guard gate (right or wrong) makes her feel more secure.  As others said, you can find lower MR in NP.  I think the combination of Hicks Canyon (pretty much in the community) + Orchard Hills + Beckman is a pretty darn good education.  I'd actually prefer to send my kids to Orchard/ Pioneer of TUSD than Sierra Vista of Irvine.  Cons of NP (for me at least) - all the nicer floor plans are REALLY expensive. 

WB: New, well manicured community that is a bit dense.  Nice parks and amenities (although NP has nice parks too).    Newer homes, some with large great rooms AND formal living/dining areas.  Can get really pricey for some unknown reason.  WB is non-central Irvine location. 

akim997 said:
26inirvine said:
homer_simpson said:
Northpark... Less dense, guard gated, lower MR, and of course living by this property would be so amazing :)
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/2-Malibu-92602/home/5772647

what he said.  I too would be honored to live next to such an address so I could be educated on many things such as pricing strategy

A dead horse is out there getting his a$$ beat....

Good, now I can sleep better at night.  8)

What kind of parks/pools does Northpark have? Since it's gated, I can't drive around to tell.

Do they have a pool like Woodbury? How about the basketball courts?

irvinehomeowner said:
What kind of parks/pools does Northpark have? Since it's gated, I can't drive around to tell.

Similar to Woodbury, just not as new.  Yeah they have basketball courts there too.

irvinehomeowner said:

They have multiple pools, basketball court, tennis courts, and club house. The resort pool at the Commons is newer and more impressive but NP has comprable amenities.

2vimbeu.jpg

irvinehomeowner said:
@iacrenter:

I think you need to switch Guard Gated to Cons and TUSD to Pros... I would rather have a gate around my school than my neighborhood. :D

I certainly agree. The guard gates and TUSD can be both a plus and minus.

Guards give the impression of security but the reality is different. As mentioned numerous times in previous threads, gates (even with guards) are easily bypassed. The perception though will increase your property value (compare NP versus NP Square).

The TUSD schools assigned to NP are very good.  But there is still a perception among those NOT in the know, which will decrease your property value (i.e. if it is NOT IUSD then it is not good).

While I know both have pools and parks... I believe WB's main pool is much nicer (esp with that kid water play area).

As for the bball courts... are there nice full courts? Another problem with a gated community is you won't get as many pickup games since the "riff raff" (TM test) can't get in. And at WB... if you don't want to play with the undesirables, you can play in the gated bball court.

irvinehomeowner said:
While I know both have pools and parks... I believe WB's main pool is much nicer (esp with that kid water play area).

As for the bball courts... are there nice full courts? Another problem with a gated community is you won't get as many pickup games since the "riff raff" (TM test) can't get in. And at WB... if you don't want to play with the undesirables, you can play in the gated bball court.

NP has two half courts and one full court. If you want pickup games, head up toward OH park with two full public b-ball courts (that place seems busy).

iacrenter said:
If you want pickup games, head up toward OH park with two full public b-ball courts (that place seems busy).
I've played there a few times... a bit too far from where I'm at right now. Good thing about it is the playground and restrooms are right next to the courts so you can bring the kids along... but parking gets a bit crowded of there are picnics or soccer going on.

If anyone wants to know where the best pickup games in Irvine are... PM me.

irvinehomeowner said:
iacrenter said:
If you want pickup games, head up toward OH park with two full public b-ball courts (that place seems busy).
I've played there a few times... a bit too far from where I'm at right now. Good thing about it is the playground and restrooms are right next to the courts so you can bring the kids along... but parking gets a bit crowded of there are picnics or soccer going on.

If anyone wants to know where the best pickup games in Irvine are... PM me.

IHO- just post them :)

I normally just ball at beckman at night :)

Which courts have lights?  Preferably closest to the Turtle Ridge area. I know Orchard has lights but its too far.  Not looking forward to the upcoming time change.

NoSoup4U said:
Which courts have lights?  Preferably closest to the Turtle Ridge area. I know Orchard has lights but its too far.  Not looking forward to the upcoming time change.
I started a new thread:
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=1982

Not sure if anyone plays pick-up in that area... I've seen guys play at that park near Vista Verde Elem... I think it has lights.

Probably the UCI Crawford Hall courts are your best bet but that's full of college kids.

Back