Noisy when it rains!

Costco

I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me out. I live in a two story home and when it rains, large rain droplets fall from my roof over my second floor onto my roof over my garage. When the rain droplets land, it creates loud thumping noises. It's really noisy and wakes me up.

Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this? I'm not very handy and I don't have a tall enough ladder to get to the roof, so I probably should hire someone. But who fixes this kind of stuff?

Thanks.

The best way to fix this is a rain gutter.

Or temporarily, use something to divert the water flow from over the garage to the side.

House has rain gutters. I guess they're not working correctly. Anyone know a good rain gutter service company?

Ahh... that probably means the gutters are clogged so instead of going down the intended pathway they are just overflowing.

Do you have a gardener? If he can't do it, he might know someone who can. You can even try one of the painter referrals in the paint thread as they may know someone.

Are they aluminum gutters?  I really doubt they're clogged, most of the trees in irvine aren't big enough to drop leaves on the roof to clog the gutters.

That load ping ping ping sound you're hearing is actually the water hitting the bottom curve of the downspout.  Also during heavy rain, check the roof valleys, a lot of time the water will come down the valley so fast it just overshoots the gutters.

nosuchreality said:
Are they aluminum gutters?  I really doubt they're clogged, most of the trees in irvine aren't big enough to drop leaves on the roof to clog the gutters.
One of our homes got tons of pine needles stuck in the gutters, another one from a liquid amber that was taller than our roof line.

It could also be a gap between the gutter and roof, but that's usually not enough to cause the kind of noise the OP is talking about.

It's okay... after the next few days, we won't see this thing called "rain" for another 10 years.

Back