No AT&T U-Verse Available For My Address

alphag

I am frustrated :mad: that I do not have AT&T U-Verse service in my area.  I live in Woodbridge area near the South Lake.  I am forced to be Cox customer for internet service as they are the only one that provides high speed internet in my area.  I pay about $50/month for the lowest speed. 

The phone service in my area belongs to AT&T but they do not have U-Verse service in my area and the only internet service they have available for my house is the basic DSL with downstream speeds up to 768Kbps. 

Now, can I say Cox is monopolizing the high speed internet in my area?  What can I do?

irvinehomeowner said:
Uh... Cox internet is faster than AT&T UVerse at lower prices.

I have the essential package (5Mbps) from Cox and I am paying $47.99 per month for it, no discount, no cable (don't need).  AT&T U-Verse is at $14.95/month for the 6Mpbs.  How can the price be lower at Cox?  Is there a rental fee for the U-Verse equipment?  I am not paying a rental fee for the Cox modem now.

@alphag:

That $14.95 is a bundled price, Internet only from UVerse is 29.95 for 3mb and 34.95 for 6mb.

The Cox 5mb is 34.99 for 5mb same 12-month contract, but you will actually see 5mb speeds vs "up to" 6mb for UVerse.

The real difference is the upper tiers where Cox is $60 for 50mb and $80 for 100mb where Uverse tops out at 45mb for $65.

Search on Speed test and Speed Wave here on TI and you can see real world speed results from members here.

Thank God! Cox is leagues better. I think I pay about $70 a month for 70 mbps. You don't want anything lower than 10-15 mbps anyway.

I'm an IT consultant and have more problems with AT&T U-Verse than all other providers combined. What they don't tell you is that your speed/reliability is totally dependent on how far you are from AT&T. I have had 2 or 3 clients that switched from AT&T DSL to U-Verse and their speeds went down and some of them it's so unreliable they get disconnected frequently. U-Verse is supposed to be AT&T's FIOS but it's not even in the same planet.

If you want TV get DirecTV, they have the best DVR's and sports packages, etc. Or just do like I do and get an OTA antenna and get over one hundred channels for free. Better picture quality too then cable/satellite.

Thank you.  I didn't know that the AT&T U-Verse promotion is with bundle because I keep receiving the mailer from them with the price $14.95 for 12 months, didn't say anything about the bundle. 

My cox service is $47.99/month (out of contract now) and I tried to get them lower down, the customer rep said I can't because their promotion is for new customer only.  Any suggestion how I can lower my monthly fee?  I don't mind signing up for 12 months or more because I will need internet at home anyway.  $34.99 is OK as when I signed up that time they gave me 3 months for that price but raised the price after 3 months.

Anyone heard of Cox going with 1gigabit/s download for new developments in OC?  Remember reading that somewhere.

Wow, you are so lucky.  That is a blessing for not having to deal with AT&T and their BS.  Cox is a bit more expensive but they have given good service every time I used them.

I used to get into battles with AT&T because my internet would drop and they would claim it's my equipment when it's their spotty service.

I live in a Cox/U-Verse area in Stinkgate.  The only bad part is going into the AT&T store to upgrade my cell phone and I get this hard sell about installing U-verse.

I make up stuff like I have a DISH network (which I also love when I lived in my apt) and i am tied in for a 2 year contract.

They insist that they will give me "bonus" cards to pay for my termination fee but when I start asking about the amount of the cards, they start back tracking.  I also make up low rates that I pay with Cox and they claim they can match it along with DISH.  They waste 30 minutes of my time with this presentation when I am only at the store (Tustin Legacy) to upgrade my mom's iphone. 

I give them the thumbs down and tell them I don't want to go through the hassle of switching. 

Be aware of AT&T's ploy when the promo rate expires.

The services gets worse and they claim you must pay the higher prices as the lower prices is for new customers and they spend all their energy in pursuit the new customer and screw the existing ones.

Had I not been "grandfathered" into their unlimited data plan, I would move my cell phone too.  I also have to use a special device (MICROCELL) to get decent cell service at my house that goes through my cox internet.

The problem with the unlimited data plan for the cell phone is you get severely throttled after 5 gigs

ps9 said:
Anyone heard of Cox going with 1gigabit/s download for new developments in OC?  Remember reading that somewhere.

It will be awhile before we get 1 gigabit:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/25/5750294/cox-residential-gigabit-internet-plans-announced

The very first buildings to get the super high-speed internet service will be select new construction projects in Phoenix, Arizona; Las Vegas, Nevada; and Omaha, Nebraska. Unfortunately, expansion of gigabit service to all of Cox's regions isn't even set to begin until 2016, but a select few should be enjoying a wide pipe to the internet by the end of this year. If the company keeps to its plans, some day all of its customers will have access to the service, which it tells The Wall Street Journal will be "competitively priced." If you're not in one of the first regions to get higher speeds, Cox does say that it will be doubling the speeds of its current 25 and 50mbps internet service for all of its customers this year.

Just moved into new house in Cypress Village and setup Cox. 65 down and 30 up. Not even the fastest plan available, I'm happy.

Back