Newsweek says Oxford Academy in Cypress, University High in Irvine, among best h

WTTCHMN

Northwood failed to make the cut.  Wonder if FCB's will start fleeing OH/Stonegate for CV... or maybe they will snap up BP since the Uni principal was poached by Toxic Jail High?

Newsweek says Oxford Academy in Cypress, University High in Irvine, among best high schools in U.S.

Aug. 19, 2015

BY SARAH de CRESCENZO  / STAFF WRITER

Oxford Academy in Cypress is one of the best schools in the country, according to rankings released this week by Newsweek.

The campus, which draws students from throughout Anaheim Unified School District, landed at No. 26 in the nation and is the highest-ranked Orange County school on the magazine?s latest ranking of high schools nationwide. Eight Orange County schools made the cut.

Newsweek?s America?s Top High Schools list ordered the nation?s top 500 high schools based on how well students at those campuses are prepared for college. Standardized testing scores, graduation rates and student retention were among the factors used to rank schools.

It?s not the first such recognition for Oxford Academy this year. The school landed as the No. 16 public school in the nation in U.S. News & World Report?s rankings released in May.

Even so, ?it never gets old,? said Hilda Vazquez, an assistant principal at Oxford Academy. ?We?re obviously very excited. It validates our work and investment.?

Irvine Unified School District had the most schools on Newsweek?s list, at three.

University High School, at No. 74, joined Cypress in representing Orange County in the top 100.

University High School Principal Kevin Astor, hired in July, said the professionalism of staff and teachers and parental involvement play a critical role in the school?s successes.

Irvine and Woodbridge high schools came in at No. 191 and No. 220, respectively.

Also on the list: Corona Del Mar High in Newport Beach at No. 116, Foothill High in Santa Ana at No. 282, Trabuco Hills High in Mission Viejo at No. 334, and Yorba Linda High at No. 437.

Fifty-eight California high schools made the list.

Gretchen Whitney High, in Cerritos, was listed as the state?s best. For the second year, Newsweek ranked Thomas Jefferson High School in Virginia as top in the nation.

Newsweek also compiled a second list of the best high schools, dubbed ?Beating the Odds,? which took into account student poverty levels. That list includes five more Orange County campuses: Buena Park, Tustin, San Juan Hills, Capo Valley and John F. Kennedy high schools.

See the lists here:http://www.newsweek.com/high-schools/americas-top-high-schools-2015

aquabliss said:
Irvine HS ranked higher than Northwood HS? 

Nonsense!

The home value in Cypress Village just want up a few notches.

I guess all the red envelopes send by the CV home owners to the Newsweek really paid off. ;) 

Looks like Foothill Ranch wins this time with its high school, Trabuco Hills, earning a mention within the rankings and Northwood is nowhere to be found.

Too bad for Baker Ranch they are currently zoned for El Toro HS.

GH said:
what's the criteria used ?  I have exceeded my free monthly view for non-subscribers :(

?College Enrollment Rate?25 percent
?Graduation Rate?20 percent
?Weighted AP/IB/Dual Enrollment composite?17.5 percent
?Weighted SAT/ACT composite?17.5 percent
?Student Retention (change in student enrollment between 9th and 12th grades; this measure is intended to control for dropout rates)?10 percent
?Counselor-to-Student Ratio?10 percent

eyephone said:
test said:
If IUSD is smart they will name the 6th high school Cypress High and put it on that empty land in Cypress Village near the 133.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,11833.0.html

I previously suggested a HS magnet in Irvine, but it got dismissed by members.

There is no benefit to IUSD to have a magnet school...it makes more sense for a district to have several excellent HS rather than one insanely great HS and the rest are average.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
test said:
If IUSD is smart they will name the 6th high school Cypress High and put it on that empty land in Cypress Village near the 133.

There is no benefit to IUSD to have a magnet school...it makes more sense for a district to have several excellent HS rather than one insanely great HS and the rest are average.

+1. Not to mention, it would make tiger moms & dads even crazier. Lose lose for everyone.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
test said:

If you want to compete and hopefully ranked higher, that's what needs to be done.

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
test said:

If you want to compete and hopefully ranked higher, that's what needs to be done.

Yes...but how many people actually knows that Oxford Academy is in Anaheim Union HSD?  The district was literally created to attract high performing students from various areas.

ISUD doesn't sell any individual schools...it sells general excellence.

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
test said:

Compete in what? They are good schools, more so because all of the kids come from affluent backgrounds than anything else, but they are good schools. I could care less if my kids high school was #1 in the country or #100...end of the day, if it is a good school with good parental involvement (which is the key anyway). It has good programs and if you do good, your kids will be able to get into a good college.

And I agree with the others, if you have all good schools (which Irvine pretty much does), then that is better than having 1 amazing school and the others meh.   

Bullsback said:
eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
test said:

Compete in what? They are good schools, more so because all of the kids come from affluent backgrounds than anything else, but they are good schools. I could care less if my kids high school was #1 in the country or #100...end of the day, if it is a good school with good parental involvement (which is the key anyway). It has good programs and if you do good, your kids will be able to get into a good college.

And I agree with the others, if you have all good schools (which Irvine pretty much does), then that is better than having 1 amazing school and the others meh. 

You could care less, but it seems Everytime the rankings come out people are shocked regarding the rankings.

#ReplayButton

It's nearly impossible to rank high schools anyway. The criteria they use doesn't mean other schools ranking lower are not good schools. They may just choose to focus on other programs. Similarly, you can't give much credit to using outside groups to rank teachers too.

I feel the IB Programs, while valuable, may be misleading many students but I'll leave that up to the students and parents who are more informed. It's a lot of money, tens of thousands, for very few students who graduate with the IB Diploma.

I agree, Irvine would be wasting its resources by having a magnet school. The magnets are the result of districts trying to become credible when the traditional model doesn't give them the results they desire.

Any school listed in this ranking deserves a complement as mentioned earlier.

Back