Newer Irvine listings with crazy WTF asking prices from equity sellers

don't forget for all the nice amenities in Woodbury, you have to share with the riff-raffs. Apartment dwellers and affordable housing residents all have the same access as the homeowners.

The California Court Company said:
don't forget for all the nice amenities in Woodbury, you have to share with the riff-raffs. Apartment dwellers and affordable housing residents all have the same access as the homeowners.

Is that a negative thing?

yes but they don't have access to the private parks. We were debating between buying new or old and decided to try the new neighborhood life style by renting in WB for a couple years. I always enjoyed using the amenities knowing the home owners are paying for it (given there is no difference in rent, I don't feel like I was paying).

irvinehomeowner said:
Aren't there apartments in Stonegate?

borca said:
Agreed that it's pretty. It looks better than some model homes and almost looks like it's by Photoshop. The photographer/realtor knows what he/she is doing.
But then $830K for a condo/townhouse? Who don't I just go across the street and get a Mendocino from SG then? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm seriously wondering where is the hidden value...

You need to factor in the upgrade costs from a base unit.  I'd estimate probably 10-15% on top of what you pay for a new house.

I am an architect that happened to live in the area for a number of years, and would like to offer some of my thoughts and observations purely from an aesthetic land use standpoint.

The detached townhomes of Woodbury have better curb appeal than the motorcourt houses, and even some single family houses currently being offered in the newer villages.  The townhomes have full exposure to the street, with ample curb parking for guests at the front. The garage is rear alley to further enhance the curb appeal giving a formal entry presence at the street front. This particular townhome design has a fore-court entry/ private front yard on top of a large landscaped buffer maintained by the association. It sits on a single loaded street on a shaded historic eucalyptus windrow.

Woodbury detached townhomes have a minimum 10? separation between one another. The side yard concept contributes to privacy with no windows looking in. Some even have two side yards. In comparison- to appeal to the ?traditional? buyer, the motor court homes offer a backyard ~10? area in the rear. This only gives perception of better value. But the truth is the street frontage, front yard, and therefore curb appeal has been completely eliminated. The separation between the homes has also been compressed. The motorcourt is a more efficient use of salable land that they can label ?single family?. Walk down a street of motorcourts and notice how sterile it is when it?s just row upon row of driveways without a front door in view.  Parking and trash situations have already been discussed in this forum. 

Woodbury has better quality design and amenities. There are unique design/ architectural themes found in each designated neighborhood, along with associated gardens and pocket parks that fit the theme down to the detail. It is an A Village that is intended to be a center node of development in the region.

A senior representative from the Irvine Co appealing to Woodbury residents prior to the development of Montecito, and Carmel said that Woodbury is the last of a legacy of high design planning, and implied that future neighborhoods would not have the same quality or detail found in Woodbury. Once build out is complete in the newer villages, I am confident it will become very evident.

matchbox said:
I am an architect that happened to live in the area for a number of years, and would like to offer some of my thoughts and observations purely from an aesthetic land use standpoint...

A refreshing and informative post. Please keep up your analysis and postings on TI.

matchbox said:
I am an architect that happened to live in the area for a number of years, and would like to offer some of my thoughts and observations purely from an aesthetic land use standpoint.

The detached townhomes of Woodbury have better curb appeal than the motorcourt houses, and even some detached houses currently being offered in the newer villages.  The townhomes have full exposure to the street, with ample curb parking for guests at the front. The garage is rear alley to further enhance the curb appeal giving a formal entry presence at the street front. This particular townhome design has a fore-court entry/ private front yard on top of a large landscaped buffer maintained by the association. It sits on a single loaded street on a shaded historic eucalyptus windrow.

Woodbury detached townhomes have a minimum 10? separation between one another. The side yard concept contributes to privacy with no windows looking in. Some even have two side yards. In comparison- to appeal to the ?traditional? buyer, the motor court homes offer a backyard ~10? area in the rear. This only gives perception of better value. But the truth is the street frontage, front yard, and therefore curb appeal has been completely eliminated. The separation between the homes has also been compressed. The motorcourt is a more efficient use of salable land that they can label ?single family?. Walk down a street of motorcourts and notice how sterile it is when it?s just row upon row of driveways without a front door in view.  Parking and trash situations have already been discussed in this forum. 

Woodbury has better quality design and amenities. There are unique design/ architectural themes found in each designated neighborhood, along with associated gardens and pocket parks that fit the theme down to the detail. It is an A neighborhood that is intended to be a center node of development in the region.

A senior representative from the Irvine Co appealing to Woodbury residents prior to the development of Montecito, and Carmel said that Woodbury is the last of a legacy of high design planning, and implied that future neighborhoods would not have the same quality or detail found in Woodbury. Once build out is complete in the newer villages, I am confident it will become very evident.

I 100% agree with you on the aesthetics of the exterior of Woodbury and the homeowners experience when approaching their home, But, based on my experience touring open houses in Woodbury, allot of the floor plans are compartmentalized and seem small and squished. When I toured a motor court home (San Mateo), it was completely opposite, it was very open and spacious. In the end, one must choose which is more important; curb appeal or floor-plan layout.

woodburyowner said:
You need to factor in the upgrade costs from a base unit.  I'd estimate probably 10-15% on top of what you pay for a new house.

True and thanks. After reading the comments I believe there are pros and cons between WB and SG, for things like cost, amenities, school.... and there is nothing wrong picking either one for whatever reason. Ultimately someone opt to pay for a $3000 bucks LV handbag, some blow the same $$ to a nice trip, and someone like myself just spent $200 on some Legos.  :D

The major reason I bring up Mendocino (SG) VS townhouse in WB (or anywhere) is that Mendocino is SFR, and to me it has big advantage as (well everyone knows but let me state here) SFR has no common wall, easier to sell/finance, cheaper HOA (I think Mendocino is only around $100)...

While, by the same token, if there is a comparable SFR in WB, it might demand a higher price.

Afterall it's all personal choice based on each one's needs and conditions. While WB price was still quite reasonable 6 months ago until I realize all of a sudden the sq/ft price for WB jumps from around $350 to over $400-$420 in a  few months. That might push some of us to SG as a result...

JasonTheArtist said:
matchbox said:

The detached townhomes of Woodbury have better curb appeal than the motorcourt houses, and even some detached houses currently being offered in the newer villages.  The townhomes have full exposure to the street, with ample curb parking for guests at the front. The garage is rear alley to further enhance the curb appeal giving a formal entry presence at the street front. This particular townhome design has a fore-court entry/ private front yard on top of a large landscaped buffer maintained by the association. It sits on a single loaded street on a shaded historic eucalyptus windrow.

Woodbury has better quality design and amenities. There are unique design/ architectural themes found in each designated neighborhood, along with associated gardens and pocket parks that fit the theme down to the detail. It is an A neighborhood that is intended to be a center node of development in the region.

I 100% agree with you on the aesthetics of the exterior of Woodbury and the homeowners experience when approaching their home, But, based on my experience touring open houses in Woodbury, allot of the floor plans are compartmentalized and seem small and squished. When I toured a motor court home (San Mateo), it was completely opposite, it was very open and spacious. In the end, one must choose which is more important; curb appeal or floor-plan layout.

Many of the larger homes in Woodbury were constructed around 2005 (give/take couple of years).  San Mateo has more of a recent design.  I find the recent designs are more open than pre 2010's.

matchbox said:
The detached townhomes of Woodbury have better curb appeal than the motorcourt houses, and even some single family houses currently being offered in the newer villages.  The townhomes have full exposure to the street, with ample curb parking for guests at the front. The garage is rear alley to further enhance the curb appeal giving a formal entry presence at the street front. This particular townhome design has a fore-court entry/ private front yard on top of a large landscaped buffer maintained by the association. It sits on a single loaded street on a shaded historic eucalyptus windrow.

This sounds like an exact description of the Casero (standard pacific) homes in Portola Springs (north enclave).

iacrenter said:
matchbox said:
I am an architect that happened to live in the area for a number of years, and would like to offer some of my thoughts and observations purely from an aesthetic land use standpoint...

A refreshing and informative post. Please keep up your analysis and postings on TI.

Second that.. like a rated G version of IHS

[youtube]RiAvHPPc8M8[/youtube]

I was actually thinking the same thing when i saw that listing... I was like the What the ?? for that piece of crap?

jamboreedude said:
obirvine said:
1974 built condo in El Camino Real for $650K? HOA is $320. What's going on with Irvine?
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/1-Mirror-Lk-92604/home/45483257

Will it ever sell at the ASK price? I wouldn't buy a piece of crap like that for that price. Ask for the moon and get it? Get real.

USCTrojanCPA said:
I'm not sure what this seller/agent are smoking but it must be some strong stuff...
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/25-Water-Lily-92606/home/7202284

I'd love to see how their home will appraise when my listing with the same floor plan and larger yard closed for almost $200k less about 3 weeks ago.  haha

they made a house jaundiced.. wow.. that's impressive.. so do they have a "deli mustard" color at the paint store?  At least paint it a neutral color for this wtf pricing.. for some reason I'm craving a pastrami sandwich right now

Baby Irvine said:
I was actually thinking the same thing when i saw that listing... I was like the What the ?? for that piece of crap?

jamboreedude said:
obirvine said:
1974 built condo in El Camino Real for $650K? HOA is $320. What's going on with Irvine?
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/1-Mirror-Lk-92604/home/45483257

Will it ever sell at the ASK price? I wouldn't buy a piece of crap like that for that price. Ask for the moon and get it? Get real.

This is the EXACT floor plan I grew up in except mirror-image. Apparently the builder made an identical community in Yorba Linda off Esperanza Road, where I lived, a few years after building that one. If you're going to buy a unit in that complex, that is the one to get because unlike the others, there really aren't any common walls. The corner of the living room wall touches the tip of a neighbor's wall. Too bad they don't make complexes with greenbelts anymore.

A 2400sq ft house like Water Lilly closed for 800k?  That sounds pretty appealing.

PM me next time, haha

Back