Newer Irvine listings with crazy WTF asking prices from equity sellers

No, this is really small lot. The only new builds in PS that have small lots like this one are some Highland lots and most of Olivewood lots. Azul's smallest lots are still more than 10 feet to the back wall while Cielo's smallest lots are more than 15 feet to the back wall. And these are the distances from the closer side (dining room side). The great room side usually has an additional 5-10 ft more space.

The Cielo home that I bought have 22 ft space from the dining room side and 30 ft space from the great room side. My lot size is 5100+. And a lot of Cielo homes have more than 6000+ sq ft lots.

Oh, did I mention that my Bluffs home, which is a detached condo (meaning lot size doesn't include any driveway) has a 3900 lot size?

A decent lot size for a 3000+ sq ft home should be at least 4000 sq ft. The smallest Cielo lot is 4240 sq ft.
Ideal lot size should be at least 2x of interior square footage.

$100k over list. Description says "...coveted Willows neighborhood". Anyone really, really, really covet living in a 1970's era home, or just realtor creative writing?

$100k over list. Description says "...coveted Willows neighborhood". Anyone really, really, really covet living in a 1970's era home, or just realtor creative writing?
It would be one thing if it was a 70s home in an actual coveted area, but this realtor just added that word for pizzazz. The Willows is not known to be some exclusive neighborhood.

It's not uncommon with new build homes, but who staged this outdoor furniture?!

1ca2b335fca469ad0577bd2a2097556a-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp
This backyard is a complete joke, looks like a side yard and not a backyard!

This backyard is a complete joke, looks like a side yard and not a backyard!
Wow that's awful.

I'm curious if you guys think that this kind of home would be hard to unload if the FCB dried up for some reason. I'm not saying it's likely they'd dry up, but let's say there was some extra tax California or OC decided to enact, and using houses as a place to park money fell out of favor.

Will people still buy this kind of house in Irvine?

Wow that's awful.

I'm curious if you guys think that this kind of home would be hard to unload if the FCB dried up for some reason. I'm not saying it's likely they'd dry up, but let's say there was some extra tax California or OC decided to enact, and using houses as a place to park money fell out of favor.

Will people still buy this kind of house in Irvine?
Some of the Bluffs and Highland homes also are 5-8 ft to the back wall and most of the Olivewood homes are 5 ft to the back wall. I can't say much about Olivewood since it's at the starting phases, but I would say that most of the smaller lots Bluffs/Highland homes were bought by non FCBs.

However, there's a slight difference between the Elderberry and the IP homes in that the IP homes are Z shape, meaning one side (most of the time Great room) gives you at about 15 ft to the back wall, so they aren't too bad.

I like the single story homes built in 1960's next to University community park/Adventure Playground in University Park. I have a young child (3 years old) and the location would have been convenient, with kid's playground, Montessori school, elementary school, small library, community center with kid's activities, etc. Lots of actual kids running around playing, versus back when I lived in Oak Creek the playground was mostly empty.

Example: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/17-Butler-St-92612/home/4698893

On the down side, I think that house doesn't have a full driveway, and I wouldn't pay $1.4 mil for it either.
In addition to the Irvine housing premium, the Montessori school there also charges $1800-$2100/month (I pay about $1200 for my kid in Buena Park Montessori school).

For those unfamiliar with Adventure Playground:

Last edited:
I have 6 words...not gonna happen at that price.
Wow...it's already under contract. Wonder what the offer price is.

Which brings us to this new listing:

Funny how a 4766 sq ft lot is considered Extra Large Premium lot. 😂 What about those Cielo 5k to 8k lots?

Funny how a 4766 sq ft lot is considered Extra Large Premium lot. 😂 What about those Cielo 5k to 8k lots?

This is one of my favorite "neighborhoods" in Portola Springs in terms of feel. Lots of kids out and about. The housing mix could be better but maybe it's the housing mix that contributes to the feel. I know making fun of yard size is a national pastime on TI but that yard is serviceable.

This is one of my favorite "neighborhoods" in Portola Springs in terms of feel. Lots of kids out and about. The housing mix could be better but maybe it's the housing mix that contributes to the feel. I know making fun of yard size is a national pastime on TI but that yard is serviceable.
The 114 Gemini backyard is pretty big, but I just find the term EXTRA LARGE as its description funny. Perhaps that lot size is extra large for Elderberry, considering how small the other ones are.

I've been wrong before but WOW is right, the market feels very FOMOish now. Should I list my house for $6m and see if I find a fish to bite? 🤣

I like the single story homes built in 1960's next to University community park/Adventure Playground in University Park. I have a young child (3 years old) and the location would have been convenient, with kid's playground, Montessori school, elementary school, small library, community center with kid's activities, etc. Lots of actual kids running around playing, versus back when I lived in Oak Creek the playground was mostly empty.

Example: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/17-Butler-St-92612/home/4698893

On the down side, I think that house doesn't have a full driveway, and I wouldn't pay $1.4 mil for it either.
In addition to the Irvine housing premium, the Montessori school there also charges $1800-$2100/month (I pay about $1200 for my kid in Buena Park Montessori school).

For those unfamiliar with Adventure Playground:

Funny you should post this. We went to the open house for 17 Butler on Sunday. Nicely staged with a good amount of foot traffic. It's not a tear down like some of the other units that have transacted in the chancellor tract or the Mann "4bd" one for sale currently as well. Great neighborhood, I agree, but the amounts people are paying for teardown lots seem to be growing with no end in sight.

Funny you should post this. We went to the open house for 17 Butler on Sunday. Nicely staged with a good amount of foot traffic. It's not a tear down like some of the other units that have transacted in the chancellor tract or the Mann "4bd" one for sale currently as well. Great neighborhood, I agree, but the amounts people are paying for teardown lots seem to be growing with no end in sight.
I've not driven the area in a while. Are these being torn down and rebuilt or simply rehabbed?

I've not driven the area in a while. Are these being torn down and rebuilt or simply rehabbed?
That neighborhood seems to be becoming teardown central. Many homes are being torn down and big 4k square foot homes are being built in their place. They don't match the neighborhood at all, but oh well.

Last edited:
Back