Newer Irvine listings with crazy WTF asking prices from equity sellers

Soylent Green Is People said:
What 1.5m buys you in Coto:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Coto-de-Caza/27-Sarazen-Ln-92679/home/5020899

or San Juan Capistrano:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Juan-Capistrano/28422-Via-Mondano-92675/home/4949433

or Tustin:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Ana/19202-Barrett-Ln-92705/home/4432595

(hope the cars come with the property, or as USCT likes to say "everything is for sale at the right price")

The lack of Mello Roos and HOA dues alone might pay for a good private school education if the schools are any kind of determining factor.

I get the Irvine premium, and also nice sometimes to only have to hold one arm out the window to borrow a cup of laundry detergent from your neighbor, but wow things are getting toppy here.

No question, the Coto and San Juan Capistrano homes are better by far. The problem is the location is really way South and not convenient for commuting for a lot of people. 

The North Tustin home is beautiful, but an older property. Some people may shy away from the home and yard maintenance. Half an acre is really a lot of land to maintain and water!

Definitely a trade off - a 45 minute commute vs $1,000 or so in monthly payment. My office is in NPB and the commute even on a bad day from RSM is about that amount of time. It's a trade off some can make, while others prefer a 15 minute drive. Time, is money, but for me at least peace and quite trumps high density.

With many IT workers able to telecommute, seems tough to spend that kind of cabbage on a home that's 10 feet apart from yours and on a shared driveway.

My .02c

The paint job in that bathroom...always wanted to feel like I'm pooping in my courtyard.

genMid.OC18029636_14_0.jpg

Definitely a trade off - a 45 minute commute vs $1,000 or so in monthly payment. My office is in NPB and the commute even on a bad day from RSM is about that amount of time. It's a trade off some can make, while others prefer a 15 minute drive. Time, is money, but for me at least peace and quite trumps high density.

With many IT workers able to telecommute, seems tough to spend that kind of cabbage on a home that's 10 feet apart from yours and on a shared driveway.

My .02c

I'm in a dual income household with two young kids and long working hours for both spouses. Probably typical of your average Irvine buyer.  At this stage in life, short commute, low maintenance home,  and school quality are the most important things to my quality of life with my family. What is the point of having a beautiful house and yard if I lose an hour each day driving to and from home, and have to spend a lot of my miniscule free time maintaining it? When I'm an empty nester or retired, then by all means I will move to South County or the coast to get more privacy, land, a view, whatever. Or better yet, out of SoCal alltogether!

I'm with misme.

I prefer local school, local work, local dr/dentist/eye appts. So much more convenient if your kid forgets something, if you have a midday appt or just want to go home for lunch.

And I really dislike commuting. I used to have a 30+ minute commute and although that was during off-traffic hours, always felt it was a waste of time. I know some people like to listen to sports or talk radio... or audio books... but I'm not crazy about spending so much time in my car.

I used to think living by the beach would be awesome, but that's when I was young and loved to go body boarding... now I'm too old and big-boned... I'm even too lazy to go to the pool. And the traffic in the beach areas on the weekends is a downer.

I've become a cranky old dude... get off my lawn!!!

Jumping on the bandwagon with misme and IHO.  So much time can be wasted commuting daily.  Would much rather have that extra daily 30-60 minutes of not commuting to spend on other activities.  So much to do out there, so little time.

Irvine Dream said:

The seller is dreaming if they think they'll get anything close to $500/sf even with the larger lot and decent upgrades.  Good luck appraising for anything close to that number too.  Homes that size are closer to the $400/sf mark.  Only homes that are 1500-1900sf are close to $500/sf in West Irvine.

Prediction...this home will sit and sit and sit and it plus they have big price drop/s.  Otherwise it'll come off the market.  This is a seller looking for a sucker buyer, nothing more.  Where do they think this home is...Laguna Altura?  haha

They did do a really nice job with the home.  Looks great.  I do have to say, that's an interesting place to put an  elliptical trainer.. haha.

Back