New Small SUV for ~$20k

HMart said:
I think the default recommendation in this segment is a Kia Soul if you must buy new. Personally I prefer to buy resale. If I were buying for my kid, I'd probably look at the Hyundai Kona. If I were buying for myself at 20k, I'd get a Mazda 3 wagon (or if budget was lower, a Honda Fit).

If you are going to look at Kia, check the Kia Seltos. New for this year but it's been sold in other countries for years. Stand your ground and you can get one for $19K plus tax, etc.

I second Soylent's recommendation.

I bought my wife an Acura RDX used, it was previously a 2 year corporate lease with 5k miles/year.  So the car was 2 years old and barely had 10k miles on it, still had the new car smell and I saved about $10,000.  There were a few minor external scratches from automated car washes, but for $10K savings it was acceptable.

When we were shopping we went to several dealerships, including Huyndai.  The lower end Hyundai SUV's interior did not impress.

My wife's friend bought a Rav4 and I had the chance to drive/wash/detail the car by hand.  I like it.  It's possible to buy a 5th gen (2019+) Rav4 used with relatively low mileage for ~$20k.  Add a can of "new car smell" scent and you're good to go.  Note that earlier Rav4's had poor crash test ratings on passenger side, but has been remedied with 2019 model.

just in time said:
This thread is helpful. Why wait on purchasing a new car?

Because most people are working from home. Also, people do not go out.
For example, I only went out a couple times in December. I foresee that in the future.
Do I need a new car sitting in the garage or in the driveway? Yo neighbor check out my new car. No one cares about that anymore.

eyephone said:
just in time said:
This thread is helpful. Why wait on purchasing a new car?

Because most people are working from home. Also, people do not go out.
For example, I only went out a couple times in December. I foresee that in the future.
Do I need a new car sitting in the garage or in the driveway? Yo neighbor check out my new car. No one cares about that anymore.

I have a lease coming due in a bit over year. For the reasons eyephone mentioned I have no idea what I?m going to do. Before the pandemic I was thinking my next car lease would be an X5M. There is no way I?m going to drop 1000-1200 a month to drop the kids off at school and pick them up or go the grocery store. Even if I?m back in the office and going in two days a week not sure it would be worth it. I do like the new car smell so I think I?ll continue to lease but the idea of buying a used car is growing on me if I won?t be driving very much. Perhaps I?ll just get a street legal golf cart and call it a day.

I've always had very good success with Autotrader or Craigslist. Haven't bought new in years. Ran the last 3 vehicles past my mechanic, paid a reasonable price, and drove them problem free for many miles. My Sequoia made it to 225k miles, survived a cross country drive, and even sold the car for a small profit!

On CL I see a 2020 Jeep Compass Limited (15k miles, retail $28k) for $20,000 with an extended warranty. Not too bad. There's a 2020 Mazda CX-5 Touring (22k miles, retailed $28k) for $20,000. Deals are out there pre-owned and the buying process is safe and easy for the most part.

New is nice. So is $7-9k in pocket. 

Soylent Green Is People said:
I've always had very good success with Autotrader or Craigslist. Haven't bought new in years. Ran the last 3 vehicles past my mechanic, paid a reasonable price, and drove them problem free for many miles. My Sequoia made it to 225k miles, survived a cross country drive, and even sold the car for a small profit!

On CL I see a 2020 Jeep Compass Limited (15k miles, retail $28k) for $20,000 with an extended warranty. Not too bad. There's a 2020 Mazda CX-5 Touring (22k miles, retailed $28k) for $20,000. Deals are out there pre-owned and the buying process is safe and easy for the most part.

New is nice. So is $7-9k in pocket. 

Used at $20k or new at $20k is still $20k so not sure where that $7-9k came from. This is like money fraud. :)

Brand new out of inventory could be $28k. Pre-owned is $19-20. I'd rather have a more expensive car (better features) at a lower price instead of a low price new car without many of the premiums. The savings is imputed.

15-20k miles is really nothing. I prefer to have a car that's broken in. Glad to have the seller ensure most items are fixed by the dealer before re-selling.

My .02c

You don't even have to go that used. I got my car used at 39k with 6k miles on it. Original MSRP was north of 60k, so that's like 25,000 reasons to go gently used.

Brand new out of inventory could be $28k. Pre-owned is $19-20. I'd rather have a more expensive car (better features) at a lower price instead of a low price new car without many of the premiums. The savings is imputed.

15-20k miles is really nothing. I prefer to have a car that's broken in. Glad to have the seller ensure most items are fixed by the dealer before re-selling.

My .02c

The more expensive cars don't necessarily have the better features... at least not the ones I'm looking at.

Other than the Nissan Kicks for ~$20k that has a top/360/birds eye/surround view camera and bunch of safety features, what other small SUV (even recently used) has that?

I know IHO is asking for $20k, but if you're thinking of a new lease or a purchase, Tesla is a pretty sweet deal with $1500 automatic deduction from your downpayment and $2000 rebate after couple months. If you made $3000 downpayment (the minimum requirement), it's like you're starting with $500 in your pocket. I think the newest Model Y would get you about $550 a month including tax for lease for $3000 down (or $500 in your pocket). Model 3 would be way lower.

qwerty said:
I have a lease coming due in a bit over year. For the reasons eyephone mentioned I have no idea what I?m going to do. Before the pandemic I was thinking my next car lease would be an X5M. There is no way I?m going to drop 1000-1200 a month to drop the kids off at school and pick them up or go the grocery store. Even if I?m back in the office and going in two days a week not sure it would be worth it. I do like the new car smell so I think I?ll continue to lease but the idea of buying a used car is growing on me if I won?t be driving very much. Perhaps I?ll just get a street legal golf cart and call it a day.

Lease an EV?

zovall said:
qwerty said:

Lease an EV?

I?m pro internal combustion engine :)

Although I do find not getting gas appealing. 

zovall said:
qwerty said:

Lease an EV?

My Honda Odyssey is ten years old.  My idiot light came on yesterday.  I?ll need to go get gas soon.  I should fill it for earthquake/disaster reasons.  Last time I filled it was September 30. 

We also have the EV and primarily us it, if we don?t make a run to the other side of LA to check on family, we use less than a 1/4 battery charge a week.  About 15 kWh.

Neither car is getting upgraded anytime soon, even after return to normalcy this coming fall, usage demand will be diminished.

Mety said:
I know IHO is asking for $20k, but if you're thinking of a new lease or a purchase, Tesla is a pretty sweet deal with $1500 automatic deduction from your downpayment and $2000 rebate after couple months. If you made $3000 downpayment (the minimum requirement), it's like you're starting with $500 in your pocket. I think the newest Model Y would get you about $550 a month including tax for lease for $3000 down (or $500 in your pocket). Model 3 would be way lower.

Actually you can do $0 down on a Tesla now... the cheapest Model Y (the rear drive Standard Range will run you $40k) can be leased for less than $500/mo.

But that's still higher than $20k cars when you finance or lease.

With that being said, we are also probably going to get a Model Y... both our leases our up so one cheapie and one EV.

My .02c

I'm not totally inflexible. Been looking at some used Rogues (the trim level that has the Around View camera) and I found a 2018 model that looks pretty good for less than $20k.

Now I have to figure out which trim Toyota/Honda SUVs have the 360 camera and see if I can find a used one under $20k... it's a bit harder doing research on used models because you can't use the brand site to look for features.

I wouldn't consider Nissan, especially for used car.  Probably the worst Japanese brand cars along with Mitsubishi.  For used cars, Honda and Toyota are way more reliable.  I was a Honda guy, but now I drive a Mazda.  Fun to drive.  My pick is CX30, although it's more than 20k and doesn't have the around view camera.

IHO -You should take at look at this site for leasing.
https://retracauto.com/

It was set up by Cody Carter, a Tustin Toyota salesman to streamline the leasing process. All the prices are there including different lease prices for different mileage. The prices seem pretty good and from the comments on leasehackr his prices are tough to beat. The guy sold about 1800 cars in 2020. That is about 5 cars a day. I found out about the site on the leasehackr website a while ago.

Not sure if this would interest you but just in case.

nosuchreality said:
Last time I filled it was September 30. 
I just recorded today's fill up of my beater vehicle.  Last fill up was Feb 24.    :eek:

I'm honestly amazed you can buy an SUV brand new in this country for $20k.

Back