New Restaurant Spots in The District

irvinehomeowner said:
OCtoSV said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Not impressed by Habana (are we talking about that Cuban place in the Spectrum?). Bella Cuba in Costa Mesa is so much better... they used to work at Versaille in LA if you are familiar with them.

Javier's food is okay... chips and salsa are great and the food is decent, just way overpriced.

Versailles in MDR area is/was excellent - never found a Cuban place as good

Like qwercuban says... go to Bella Cuba by South Coast... you'll feel like you are at Versailles, even down to the bread they serve. They are basically OC Versailles.

@eyephone: Porto's is different, that's more like a Cuban bakery/lunch place. Wish there was a Porto's closer to Irvine.

mmm, I miss Versailles....
Bella Cuba is pretty good, had lunch there right before the shut down
Felix in Orange was pretty good too, but it's been like 5 years since I've eaten there

momopi said:
My mother used to run a shop in Culver City down the street from first Versailles on Venice Blvd.  We knew many of their workers (all Mexican) and for whatever the reason, when we asked them for recommendations they always say fish/seafood.  The workers had high opinion of fried fish and paella, less so for signature Cuban dishes.  ?_?  Guess they didn't think chicken and rice or Cuban sandwiches was very special.  I like arroz con pollo.

I recall Habana in Costa Mesa used to have whole roasted pig on weekend.  Might still have some pictures stashed away.

Since you mentioned Culver City. How about Tito?s Tacos in Culver City?

eyephone said:
momopi said:
My mother used to run a shop in Culver City down the street from first Versailles on Venice Blvd.  We knew many of their workers (all Mexican) and for whatever the reason, when we asked them for recommendations they always say fish/seafood.  The workers had high opinion of fried fish and paella, less so for signature Cuban dishes.  ?_?  Guess they didn't think chicken and rice or Cuban sandwiches was very special.  I like arroz con pollo.

I recall Habana in Costa Mesa used to have whole roasted pig on weekend.  Might still have some pictures stashed away.

Nope -- they were too far and their employees didn't come to our shop, so we didn't order from them.

Back then we had a lot of Hare Krishna folks in Culver City, so there were some vegetarian places nearby.  Not sure about now.

momopi said:
eyephone said:
momopi said:

Nope -- they were too far and their employees didn't come to our shop, so we didn't order from them.

Back then we had a lot of Hare Krishna folks in Culver City, so there were some vegetarian places nearby.  Not sure about now.

I like Tito?s Tacos. They have a different flavor from Taco Bell. But I remember the lines were long due to demand.

Back