New Owner Problems

IP did my landscaping, it was kind of rushed... The plant styles they picked are decent.... They didn't let me choose what type of plants cause it came as a standard incentive package... I think it looks just ok... A bit cluttered so I took out some of the medium sized bushes after i closed to make it look less cluttered....

The fern type trees that go around the yard they did a rushed job and some of the fern type trees went into shock.... turned brown and is growing very slowly shortly after they planted them... once I moved in I checked on these brown ferns every day (checked soil moisture around the ferns in shock and watered if necessary instead of solely counting on the sprinklers)... After  a month they started recovering and are well on their way to turning green again... Not that big of a deal to me... Would be only if any of these plants died cause of shock but so far seems good

The flooring issue comes up often.  Builder vs after COE.  If the builder was in the ballpark, I would go with builder every time.  Heck, even if they were making a tidy profit, I would probably still go with the builder to avoid issues such as the rare situation of plumbingleaking (which is then not part of the new home warranty cuz flooring was put in after COE), scratched floors from trying to put back appliances, dust everywhere, and sometimes flooring can be a royal PIA to do after COE like trying to remove a built in fridge to floor under it.  Even TIC's bad CS is better than trying to deal with an aftermarket company to fix their mistakes.  JMHO.

Yeah, this was kinda silly... I asked IP if I can just pay for all the upgrades in cash... They wouldn't let me... Would probably be a bit more annoyed at this but the interest rate was low so whatever's

Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:
It does show some reasons why it's better to have the builder install the flooring. Our builder was very careful to clean the home meticulously before we got the keys. It doesn't mean no one ever used our toilets, but at least they cleaned them again after the flooring was installed.

Plus the builder is more liable for the home in general if they do the work. I almost wish I had gotten the builder to do the landscaping so that I could have gotten it done earlier and financed as part of the mortgage.

Except you'll be paying for the that flooring for 30 years.

Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:
It does show some reasons why it's better to have the builder install the flooring. Our builder was very careful to clean the home meticulously before we got the keys. It doesn't mean no one ever used our toilets, but at least they cleaned them again after the flooring was installed.

Plus the builder is more liable for the home in general if they do the work. I almost wish I had gotten the builder to do the landscaping so that I could have gotten it done earlier and financed as part of the mortgage.

I hope to pay off my mortgage in less than 10 years but in the short-term I had to borrow more expensively to pay for things outside of the builder since a tax deductible 3% interest rate is hard to beat so it would have been cheaper to borrow more at that rate. It really has nothing to do with "30 years".

paperboyNC said:
Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:

I hope to pay off my mortgage in less than 10 years but in the short-term I had to borrow more expensively to pay for things outside of the builder since a tax deductible 3% interest rate is hard to beat so it would have been cheaper to borrow more at that rate. It really has nothing to do with "30 years".

Fair enough but the flooring is also at a higher price point for the builder.  For example, our flooring would have been about $8000 more with the builder and the contractor is is giving us better quality wood and free baseboard.  You would have factor in the higher initial costs as well.

Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:
Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:

Fair enough but the flooring is also at a higher price point for the builder.  For example, our flooring would have been about $8000 more with the builder and the contractor is is giving us better quality wood and free baseboard.  You would have factor in the higher initial costs as well.

I agree...as I stated in some of the other threads...flooring (bathroom tiles, plus hardwood on the first floor) would have been 12K higher than me paying through 3rd party vendors.  That money i saved, is now paying for my shutters, and furniture.

broda said:
Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:
Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:

I agree...as I stated in some of the other threads...flooring (bathroom tiles, plus hardwood on the first floor) would have been 12K higher than me paying through 3rd party vendors.  That money i saved, is now paying for my shutters, and furniture.

In my case, i went with the builder to do flooring. I compared couple of external vendor quotes with the builder's quotes and there is a 3000$ difference(with all credits included). Yes, i would have saved that money and spent it on shutters, but dont want the hassle of waiting longer as well as to run behind contractors. Also, i bundled that expense in to the loan , which is needed as i already hit the bottom with my cash reserve.

Lucky, hope all things will get sorted for you to enjoy your new home.

Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:
Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:

Agreed. In my case I spent less than the builder's incentive on builder upgrades (I spent it all on flooring and all closing costs) and ended up using the extra cash to prepay almost a year's worth of HOA dues so it never made sense to even consider an outside contractor for flooring. I did do the window coverings, appliances and landscaping myself but didn't really have the cash after my 20% downpayment to pay for those.

I had IP install wood flooring, seemed like something worth doing thru the builder at the time.  I have some problems with planks staying glued down which the builders sub contractor doesn't have a problem fixing.  Those kind of problems make me glad I went through the builder.

irvineshadow said:
I had IP install wood flooring, seemed like something worth doing thru the builder at the time.  I have some problems with planks staying glued down which the builders sub contractor doesn't have a problem fixing.  Those kind of problems make me glad I went through the builder.

One more thing to consider is that you can find the vendors who previously installed flooring for the builder.  Venetian, for example, did flooring for the builders for a number of models in Woodbury.  It is a matter of finding a quality contractor.

lucky said:
A much more serious problem is that we added the "whole-house insulation" upgrade, but from what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any insulation in the floor between the upstairs and downstairs. When I'm in the master bedroom or closet, I can easily hear people below in the great room talking. Not surprisingly, we repeatedly told IP about their lack of oversight and our disappointment and zero confidence in their ability to build a quality home, and we kept citing the possibility that they didn't install our insulation because they wouldn't let us see the open walls after our "dusty shoe" tour. Sure enough, it seems they screwed us in our sardine can yet again.

What they're going to do is verify the paperwork that shows the city inspector did in fact check off on the fact that all the insulation was installed. I don't care what the paperwork says, I think it's not there. If we continue to escalate, they'll have to cut some holes into our ceiling to physically look for the insulation. If it's not there they'll have to put lots of holes in and fill the ceiling with an expanding foam insulation.
Your list looks too short, especially for IP.

Thermal insulation between floors helps noise problem somewhat, but I don't think it's designed to be sound proof.  I can still hear people talking downstair somewhat if I pay close attention, but I think it's coming thru little gap below door.  However, toilet flush noise from upstair is clearly noticeable.  I know my home has "whole house insulation" because I checked it personally right before they put up the drywall.

The grout tends to separate at the boundary of the floor and the wall.  If your tile was done with the builder they tend to fix that since it's unpleasant looking and noticeable.  Otherwise I suppose that is something you may have to learn how to do yourself.

When I turned on the AC/heater on the second floor, some times I heard  loud noise comes from the inside of one sink on the second bathroom. The builder said it may come from the condensation pipe and asked me to call the AC company. Any one had this problem before? Is that a big issue?

irvine123searching said:
When I turned on the AC/heater on the second floor, some times I heard  loud noise comes from the inside of one sink on the second bathroom. The builder said it may come from the condensation pipe and asked me to call the AC company. Any one had this problem before? Is that a big issue?

It's probably not a big issue, depending on what the particular sound is, perhaps.

As I recently learned, the primary condensate line from the AC in the attic connects up to the nearest sink's drain pipe. This means if there are sounds that echo through that condensate line, it may very well be audible coming up that sink's drain.

So, hearing the sounds isn't an issue probably, but if the AC is making unusual noise, there may be something wrong with that. (But I'm no expert.)

: )

irvinehomeowner said:
Not sure if Lucky is still active but did you get all your issues resolved?

Still here. : )

I guess everything was resolved the best it could be. I should feel lucky (and I do) because I've heard much worse horror stories from other neighbors in the community, like where the builder had to come out and rip open the upstairs floor and wall to fix a problem.

lucky said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Not sure if Lucky is still active but did you get all your issues resolved?

Still here. : )

I guess everything was resolved the best it could be. I should feel lucky (and I do) because I've heard much worse horror stories from other neighbors in the community, like where the builder had to come out and rip open the upstairs floor and wall to fix a problem.

and they dont allow inspections because it slows down construction. the only reason it would slow them down is cause they have to fix their own shitty work.

irvinehomeowner said:
@lucky:

So how did you determine if they put in the extra insulation? Did they poke holes in your ceiling to verify?

The day before they were supposed to come out we canceled based on input we got from folks here on Talk Irvine stating that they've seen their insulation and know that floor/ceiling insulation just isn't as soundproof as the wall insulation.

I have the same sound/noise problem between upstairs and downstairs and I added the whole-house insulation.  When my son is upstairs and I'm downstairs, I know where he is at any moment.  It sounds like, really sounds like, my Dad's old condo house has better sound insulation than my newly built.  I thought, or IP misled me into thinking, that adding insulation would help on soundproof.  I now think that's wrong.  The insulation is for head-insulation and it doesn't do the soundproofing job at all.  It requires different material for soundproof.

In general, IP's building quality is so bad that it makes me wonder if the contractors they hire really are licensed.  It's amazing how they can dig out so many incompetent workers that consistently screw up.  You need some luck to just find one contractor who screw up so badly, let alone consistently.

Although all the problems I found in our house are all minor so far.  But looking at those crappy works, it make me worry about overall quality and safety of the house.

Back