New landscape for condo application

USKiwi

Hi,

Does anyone has experience DIY own yards?

Just curious will such HOA permit application process very complicated if I would like to try a DIY project for the new detached condo side yard (approximate. 10'x50) in Portola Springs?  Besides of submit applications/plan to HOA, should I submit to Irvine city council too?

Or it is easier just hire a landscaping company to process the application and cinstruction for me?

Thank!

You need to get a building permit from the city of Irvine if you will be building a patio cover.  For anything else, just HOA approval.

IrvinePilot said:
You need to get a building permit from the city of Irvine if you will be building a patio cover.  For anything else, just HOA approval.

Thanks!  So I still need HOA approval even just put a lawn or pave path in the side yard?

yeah you probably need HOA approval for that - I mean imagine if your next door neighbors JUST wanted to install a cactus garden.  You'd want them to get approval (And get denied) probably.  Maybe your neighbors hate grass.

Thanks for the information.

By the way, is it easy to apply for the permit by myself or it's better leave it to landscape design house?

Talyssa said:
yeah you probably need HOA approval for that - I mean imagine if your next door neighbors JUST wanted to install a cactus garden.  You'd want them to get approval (And get denied) probably.  Maybe your neighbors hate grass.

I have no idea - every HOA is run differently.  It doesn't soundl ike you are doing anything that needs city permits though so I wouldnt' worry about that (not building any structures or anyhting right?).  It should just be submitting a plan to the HOA, they'll get an approval on it, and that will be that.

It is always a good idea to hire a professional Landscape Architect to get your plans design, through the HOA and to the Landscape Contractors so they can get the building permits required.  I have completed projects in Portola Springs and the HOA requirements are fairly comprehensive, you will need a full set of plans for approvals on just about anything you do.  With a condo unit which has a zero lot line to your neighbors there are also fairly strict guidelines about this.  Your HOA will most likely require plans showing the design intent including hardscape elements, possibly sections and elevations for the site elements such as overhead structures, water features, barbecues and so on.  Even if you are only planning on adding turf or planting this will still require a submittal along with an irrigation plan, grading and drainage plan, lighting plan, and planting plan.  While there is a fee for hiring a Landscape Architect the services rendered will pay for themselves plus a lot more in the long run.  You will have a better designed project, increase your property value, maximize your budget, reduce the fees and time associated with multiple submittals through the HOA and save money on water and energy costs with well designed irrigation and lighting plans.  As a Landscape Architecture firm we work closely with experience quality contractors who offer some of the best pricing in the industry.  For more information on our services and the profession of Landscape Architecture visit our site at www.studioh-inc.com

If you have no idea what it is you want to do, I'd recommend hiring a landscape architect or garden designer to get you off on the right track.  If you already know what you want to do and just need someone to draw up the plans for you, you can have that done at a significantly lower cost.

I agree with most of what SHLA mentioned; however, it is possible to over-design and over-spend on small improvement projects.  KISS: Keep It Stupid Simple.  Best of luck!!!

Back