New job, closer to home, 5 min commute, what's not to love?

ps99472

Just made a successful lateral move at my company from my old location in North Orange County(40 minutes) to a location 5 minutes away.  I guess we're staying in Irvine for the long run.  Bad news is I heard that there are quite a few bad apples at my new location, compared to the great camaraderie at my old job.  So is it a smart move to trade workplace headaches to be closer to home?  I estimate cutting a good hour of roundtrip commute time daily so that estimates to about 5 hours a week to spend with family/chores/talkirvine/itunes/85 degrees. 

Alright TIC, my roots are planted, build me my 2500 sq ft box with 4 bed and 3 bath on a 5000 sq ft lot in Orchard Hills please.  If not, hello William Lyons in Woodbridge.

Congratulations on the move.  That's an extra 5+ hours every week with your family instead of with traffic. Especially with a little one around, you won't get that time back once it's gone. 

-IR2

Congrats. Time is extremely valuable. More so than money and other headaches that can be dealt with. Plus, time spent with family far outweighs almost anything else, IMO.

Congrats on the lateral move.  As mentioned, time can be more valuable than money.  Hope those bad apples at the new location don't make for a bad work environment.  Not only are you saving time but also gas....a true win-win. 

Thanks for all the congrats, I'm looking forward to spending less time driving but on the other hand, hate to bring home work "stress".  But in the end having more time for my wife and two year old should outweigh any negatives. 

Congratulations! The pro of spending time with your family outweighs the cons. You will learn to deal with it eventually.
As cliched as it sounds, kids grow up very fast! Enjoy your extra five hours a week.

Just saw this - any takers on the odds PS will have another little one given the extra 30mins+ each day?  ;)

irvinehomeowner said:
So how's it going PS?

Did you use my advice about the elbow drop?

Started this week, so far no elbow drops,  I don't think this will be as bad as I heard...  enjoy being home early with family and new boss is very flexible with my schedule which is a definite plus.  One of my new co-workers even mentioned the mood lightened a little with my arrival.  Hopefully we're going in the right direction.. 

And can I get in on this bet about me having another little one? haha

Back