New house + solar panel

freedomcm said:
do you have computer type devices that are firing up to do 'updates' during the night?  computers, cable boxes, DVRs, etc?

Nope unplugged everything including the nighthawk, all fans, etc for the entire night. Made no difference.

Plus my phantom energy was being used before I moved into the house.  So the problem is with house.  I can move out of the house and it will be sucking 0.64 kW/hour from 11pm to 6am.

I agree with your theory OS.

That's our next experiment tonight. We are going down the switches on the electrical panel and flipping them off... one per hour.  Going to catch that bugger.

But I did discover that Nighthawk + 2 ceiling fans + 2 air purifiers + 1 internet switch + cox modem + cox cable booster + soundbar = 0.10 kW.  Very exciting info there!!!

You can quickly calculate how much power a device may be sucking if it has a power adapter brick.  Nighthawk's power adapter shows a 12V 4A rating, 12*4 = 48 watts.  Keep in mind, that's maximum wattage, so it may not be using all that power all the time.

gaogi said:
You can quickly calculate how much power a device may be sucking if it has a power adapter brick.  Nighthawk's power adapter shows a 12V 4A rating, 12*4 = 48 watts.  Keep in mind, that's maximum wattage, so it may not be using all that power all the time.

Noooo ... I don't want to be reminded of my Physics class.

Can anyone access sce.com???  It says 404 error for me.  Did I get banned from the Edison website??

ZeroLot said:
Can anyone access sce.com???  It says 404 error for me.  Did I get banned from the Edison website??
Nope.

You broke it. It's down for me too.... getting 503 error which means the website is having issues.

irvinehomeowner said:
ZeroLot said:
Nope.

You broke it. It's down for me too.... getting 503 error which means the website is having issues.

I should get hacker credit.  >:D

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
All this solar talk is making me think about getting solar.
This is not the solar you are looking for.

If I can get my bill any lower, the better.
Your bill may be lower, but your total cost outlay won't be depending on buy vs lease, length of ownership, power consumption, etc etc.

I think it makes sense if you are getting it at a large discount by the builder... but after market seems like hit and miss.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

Your bill may be lower, but your total cost outlay won't be depending on buy vs lease, length of ownership, power consumption, etc etc.

I think it makes sense if you are getting it at a large discount by the builder... but after market seems like hit and miss.
I researched into PPA solar contracts. I found that PPA contracts written with an escalater is a rip off.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

Agreed.  I couldn't believe how much of a discount we got from the Builder.  I was skeptical (and still a little).  But the price was 1/3 of the retail price. 

They "guarantee" a certain production.  If they don't meet it, then they pay you.  Of course, it is literally pennies per KW.  So, from their business standpoint, it may make more sense to just pay you off for low production than maintain the units.  I guess time will tell.  Best case, if the cells produce what they should, then it will pay off in as little as 4 years.  Worst case, if they don't produce anything and Solar City doesn't fix/maintain then it will take 33 years to pay off.  I think that there would be other legal ramifications though in that worst case.

The price was so low, I had to give it a shot.  However, I may be nervous about buying retail.  Anyone buying a new home should review closely

Marty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

Agreed.  I couldn't believe how much of a discount we got from the Builder.  I was skeptical (and still a little).  But the price was 1/3 of the retail price. 

They "guarantee" a certain production.  If they don't meet it, then they pay you.  Of course, it is literally pennies per KW.  So, from their business standpoint, it may make more sense to just pay you off for low production than maintain the units.  I guess time will tell.  Best case, if the cells produce what they should, then it will pay off in as little as 4 years.  Worst case, if they don't produce anything and Solar City doesn't fix/maintain then it will take 33 years to pay off.  I think that there would be other legal ramifications though in that worst case.

The price was so low, I had to give it a shot.  However, I may be nervous about buying retail.  Anyone buying a new home should review closely

It's good to hear that you got a good deal on your solar panels. Buying should be the only option a person should consider.

It's a no-brainer must buy from the builder if you're getting a significant discount because the 30% tax credit is for the RETAIL cost of the system and is exempt from property tax.  For example, if the retail cost of a system is $15,000 and the builder is charging you $9000, then your out of pocket is $9000-($15,000 x 30%) = $4,500.  In essence, you're paying $4500 for a $15000 system.  That brings ROI way down.  And the tax credit is not income dependent so Richie Rich could get a dollar for dollar tax credit. 

Not to mention, the aesthetics are so much better with the panels inlaid into the roof with all the wiring inside the walls to your converter in the garage.

got my warranty certificate today

year 1, warranty 97% output.  year 25, warranty 80% output

Photovolaic modules 20 years warranty
PV Mircoinverter 25 years warranty
All other components 20 years warranty

Applies only to PV module defects that causes effective output to fall below performance level stated under the Linear Perofrmance Warranty.  The warranty years for all other PV moduel defects shall be limited to ten(10).

Back