New Homes in Cypress Village?

I still don't get what a California Garage is. Yeah, I saw the diagram. No, I don't understand. Is it a car port? I thought someone said it's to double as a recreational space but I don't know what that means exactly.

SoCal said:
I still don't get what a California Garage is. Yeah, I saw the diagram. No, I don't understand. Is it a car port? I thought someone said it's to double as a recreational space but I don't know what that means exactly.

Imagine it like something that is not quite a 3 car tandem garage...so you can use it as a storage area, or close it off from the garage and use it as an office or music room/art studio that is separated from the main living area.  basically they just want to build the biggest house they can on the smallest lot size they can and still call it an SFR...so coming up with a clever name like California Garage is a way to justify them requesting reduced setback allowances. 

iacrenter's shows the PDF of a lot diagram... it's a small space behind the garage... not quite long enough to be tandem but wider.

Like thedude says, it gives you extra space. What I don't understand is that the document say you can't build above it so if it's only 1st floor space, why not make it optional to give you more backyard (although I would prefer the Cali garage).

Okay, but what is it like in terms of construction -- textured walls just like the interior? Interior lighting or traditional garage lighting? Temperature-controlled or not - any vents? Is the transitional space on the same level as the rest of the interior or is it a step-down like most (all?) garages. Can't really tell any of that from the diagram.

I presume since it's part of the garage... it's finished and lighted like the garage. But I'm sure IP will have "upgrades" that make it a more finished space.

irvineshadow said:
can you put a toilet in there, use it as a club room, like an east coast basement?
This brings back memories from the original IHB forums:

image002.med.jpg

Back