New Home v. Old Home

none

I've heard lots of ppl say the best neighborhood in Irvine is Turtle Rock.

Just out of curiosity, would you rather have a new home in SG or an old home in Turtle Rock?  Size being comparable.

I rather have a old home and fix it up...but the cost of buying an old homes in Irvine was so high in price, by the time I finished fixing up the house, I'd have spent way more than a new home.  Granted I know the benefits of the old homes over the new and vice versa,  in the end it came down to how much money and time could I really spend on the house. 

New build was just easier to deal with, I still get SOME amount of customization or so TIC makes you think....and getting screwed by a builder versus contractor was less painful in the end.

Yes, I think I would rather have an old home too, but my spouse is set on a new home.  I was just wondering what was preferred and why.
Maybe I was missing something.  After hearing about all the problems with the new homes, wondering if we should start looking at old homes again.
I personally think any area in Irvine is fine.  It's Irvine...you really can't go wrong...unless of course you are sitting on a Superfund site in a new home built by Lennar.  :)

I started looking at old home first and ended up buying a new house.
I could not get an old home with a reasonable price in the current market.

none said:
Yes, I think I would rather have an old home too, but my spouse is set on a new home.  I was just wondering what was preferred and why.
Maybe I was missing something.  After hearing about all the problems with the new homes, wondering if we should start looking at old homes again.
I personally think any area in Irvine is fine.  It's Irvine...you really can't go wrong...unless of course you are sitting on a Superfund site in a new home built by Lennar.  :)

It really did boil down to the price of how much the older homes were going for.  That and I was losing every bid on a house to cash buyers.

I'd be very wary about homes built before 1980...we were looking for an older home to fix up in Woodbridge or Northwood for several years and backed out on three different instances because of major issues during the home inspection. The problem that came up would have seriously derailed any hopes to do the level of remodels we wanted. Based on a combination of factors we ultimately bought new....I wouldn't expect similar problems with homes built particularly in the late 80's and 90's.

irvinehomeshopper said:
broda said:
none said:

It really did boil down to the price of how much the older homes were going for.  That and I was losing every bid on a house to cash buyers.

Just be patient! I predicted the FCBs jacking up the benchmark pricing 5 years ago knowing about China's corruption. The new regime will take sometime to reestablish the cycle of corruption. The residual suitcaseful of cash will take the next 2 years to trickle. The resale of older homes is appealing due to 3 facets that new homes can't compete with: 3CWG, large yard and LDFKNBD. FCBs are like vultures looking for the next fresh meat. As soon builders come out from dormancy innovations and move up products should satisfy the vultures cravings. By then you can have "AYCE" buffet of old meats. 

Help me out here... what is "LDFKNBD" ?

I really like the way new homes look - arched doorways, rounded corners, nice great rooms - but overall, I'd go for an older home (and that's what we did).  A lot of the older homes have bigger yards and bigger bedrooms for the kids.  They don't waste space having a master bathroom the size of the bedroom itself, when no one needs a palace for a bathroom.  The kitchens can be remodeled to look as nice as new homes and can usually be opened up to create more of a great room feel.  We don't use our formal living room for that, but have it set up as a playroom for the kids.  It's nice to have a room downstairs for them to play in so they're close by if I'm in the kitchen, but I still have the family room toy-free and clean at night so I can relax. 

Older homes also have the benefit of having smaller schools and fewer kids in the classrooms.  With so many original owners still in the neighborhoods, a lot of families have aged out of the school system.

I do sometimes long for the community feel in Woodbury, with so many families and little kids everywhere.  But, their pool is always packed and their school is packed, so I like my little neighborhood too.

kberry said:
I really like the way new homes look - arched doorways, rounded corners, nice great rooms -

I always thought bull-nosed corners were a new thing until I went to an open house last weekend and saw them in 2 homes built in the mid-90s. Who knew. I don't even remember them from back then.

This post is not a joke.  No, actually I asked for a legitimate purpose and many of the ppl who posted made some great points.
The reason I asked is because I noticed a lot of ppl have problems with their home at SG, how TIC is not helping but hindering during construction,
shoddy construction, neighbors who are so close to you, you can smell them chain-smoking.  Whereas, older homes do have more room, and less crowded schools and other points I never thought about.  I was trying to weigh the pros and cons. 

Also, I was trying to persuade my spouse by showing him this thread.  Also, I was genuinely interested in knowing why so some ppl prefer new to old or vice versa.
I do not like the way I was treated by some reps at the TIC, namely this blonde woman at San Mateo (I believe her name was Kathy or Cathy) who acted like she was doing me a favor even talking with me.  We asked her where the next phase was being built.  Her answer, "SG".  No kidding.  She was just rude in general.  Very condescending.  Frankly, I do not need to put down that kind of money and be treated like I am not even a person.  Just be civil.  Answer the questions.
Yes, ppl are probably asking the same  questions and you are annoyed, but you are in customer service and you are getting paid to be civil and answer some questions.  I do not even expect nice from TIC employees.  For me, CS is huge.  I will spend more money elsewhere if they have great CS.  I do not need to be treated badly and then shell out my cash.  No thanks. 

Also, paying that much money--I will quibble about neighborhoods in Irvine, b/c they are different.  SG sounds awful to be honest.  I like the homes and the floorplan but that's about it.  I heard the schools are already overcrowded and the schools are very academic, even in Kindergarten.  I want my kids to play in Kindergarten as social aspects are more important at that age, IMO.  Academic comes later.  Then why Irvine?  I like Irvine but my spouse loves Irvine.  We make compromises in life.

So, I thank all those who contributed to this post.  I really appreciate the feedback.  Please keep it coming.

if the houses are the same size, detached and cost about the same, and the only difference is 40 year age difference, I will choose TR for sure. Houses can always be updated or remodeled; but TR is just in an awesome location without any of the landfill, TCE plume, or freeway pollution concerns, plus the natural topography is so much superior.

the problem is $/sqft, TR is much higher..

none said:
I've heard lots of ppl say the best neighborhood in Irvine is Turtle Rock.

Just out of curiosity, would you rather have a new home in SG or an old home in Turtle Rock?  Size being comparable.
The problem with your question here is if size is comparable, is price?

If so, Turtle Rock is the no brainer. Despite the age, the location is multiple times better, has tons of open space and is less dense than Stonegate.

This becomes a bit more confusing based on the type of home since TR has condos, townhomes, attached homes and SFRs... but overall... I would still pick TR.

EDIT: Eh... same opinion as CaliCourt.

TY.  I think we will keep our options open.  I prefer TR too.

We can really only afford a condo at this point.  So, it would be an attached condo in SG v. one in TR.  I would even go so far as to say TR would be slightly smaller for the same money.  Overall, I think with the prices as high as they are in SG, it might be worth looking for older homes in TR. 

Not sure about your budget, but looking for ANY home with budget for a condo or townhome in Irvine for the past 6-8 months has almost been an nightmare to me.
Inventory is so low (no choice at all) but price is getting higher on a daily basis (especially for the past 2-3 months, and this is not at all exaggerating).

When I get a call for Santa Clara, I don't even care if it's plan 2 or 3 (it's a plan 3 and I know ppl prefer Plan 2 more but i actually like the more open view for P3 VS garage view for P2) I just say yes almost immediately.

If given the choice iI would prefer Santa Maria Plan2 even it's one the the weirdest plan I've see and I still struggle to think of how I'm going to place a TV and look straight on a sofa there, but I don't want to wait another 4 months with the risk of the price jacking up another 30-50K by then.

I know ppl have needs, or dignity, when it comes to uploading so much money on a home, but I have other priorities like family plan, kids, work (I can't deal with 10-15 miles or RED traffic jam from ANYWHERE except maybe south to Irvine on a  daily basis) so I have to bite the bullet and get this over with....

I almost have to thank IP for the chance to buy a home that's at least ok to live in, other homes we saw are either have direct view to freeway or electric tower, or being outbid by others every single time. I know this sounds sad, but I'm glad my nightmare is almost over so I can move on and focus with other things as I do not want to wait for another 3-5 years before the housing cycle goes south again...

Good luck to all potential and existing homeowners in Irvine!

borca said:
Not sure about your budget, but looking for ANY home with budget for a condo or townhome in Irvine for the past 6-8 months has almost been an nightmare to me.
Inventory is so low (no choice at all) but price is getting higher on a daily basis (especially for the past 2-3 months, and this is not at all exaggerating).

When I get a call for Santa Clara, I don't even care if it's plan 2 or 3 (it's a plan 3 and I know ppl prefer Plan 2 more but i actually like the more open view for P3 VS garage view for P2) I just say yes almost immediately.

If given the choice iI would prefer Santa Maria Plan2 even it's one the the weirdest plan I've see and I still struggle to think of how I'm going to place a TV and look straight on a sofa there, but I don't want to wait another 4 months with the risk of the price jacking up another 30-50K by then.

I know ppl have needs, or dignity, when it comes to uploading so much money on a home, but I have other priorities like family plan, kids, work (I can't deal with 10-15 miles or RED traffic jam from ANYWHERE except maybe south to Irvine on a  daily basis) so I have to bite the bullet and get this over with....

I almost have to thank IP for the chance to buy a home that's at least ok to live in, other homes we saw are either have direct view to freeway or electric tower, or being outbid by others every single time. I know this sounds sad, but I'm glad my nightmare is almost over so I can move on and focus with other things as I do not want to wait for another 3-5 years before the housing cycle goes south again...

Good luck to all potential and existing homeowners in Irvine!

If you dont mind me asking, how long did you have to wait to get a call from Santa Clara? Also, since the day you got on the list to the time you signed the contract, how much did the price go up?

Back