New home: Tile vs Wood(laminate)

Tom_Irvine_Guy

We are close to selecting flooring for our house. We have a open floor plan, great room,wondering whether we should go with Titles or Laminate flooring. Any pros or cons of both, and whether we should go with outside contractor or from design center.

Wood > Tile > Laminate

But I've seen some pretty good laminate, although it's still pretty noisy compared to wood and tile.

Personal preference on tile vs wood.  Some ppl have told me that tile is harder on your back, but I think that's really minor vs wood.  I would completely eliminate laminate if you can swing the extra money.  I've seen beautiful limestone and travertine in homes.  Also, seen beautiful wood.  Totally up to you.

Tom from MySpace - get standard carpet and hire contractor to install wood. You would save some money.

i would love to have tiles, but my only concern is, dont they feel cold? Is there any one who have tiles could highlight on this please?

Tom_Irvine_Guy said:
i would love to have tiles, but my only concern is, dont they feel cold? Is there any one who have tiles could highlight on this please?
Not that much colder than wood.

I've usually had hard surfaces on the 1st floor of most of my homes so I always wear slippers downstairs. Plus I wear socks almost 24/7 so my feet don't get cold.

Area rugs also help "warm" tile floors.

Tom_Irvine_Guy said:

tiles feel a little on the colder side, but wood will also feel cold.  any hard surface will feel cold.  the only thing with tiles is that it is tough to keep the grout clean. 

if you go with tiles get one of these V shaped brushes
http://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Gr...p/B003SFW50C/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t#cm_cr_dpwidget

that attach to the wooden pole, not a bat, but one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-FG636400LAC-Lacquered-Wood-Threaded/dp/B005KDD0KY/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1409033621&sr=1-1&keywords=threaded+broom+handle

Thank you, you guys are awesome :) We will go with Tiles option
Now another question, I am thinking about doing flooring after close of escrow from outside parties. ANy downside to this? Design center is expensive.

Tom_Irvine_Guy said:
Thank you, you guys are awesome :) We will go with Tiles option
Now another question, I am thinking about doing flooring after close of escrow from outside parties. ANy downside to this? Design center is expensive.

Look up Venetian contractor or hardwood floor on Talk Irvine threads.

Back