New home lovers

irvinehusky

I have a question for those of you that prefer or are only looking at newer homes.

Let's say a house was built in the 70s but the inside was COMPLETELY (I mean with all the new looks and appliances; no popcorn ceilings or flourescent lights anymore) remodeled in 2011.  So, if you were inside, it feels like a newer home.  But if you step outside, it still looks like a 70s house.  And, of course, the neighbors' houses have the 70s look as well.

Would you consider such a home?

I saw a house like this last year where it even looked like a single story (but actually was two story and huge inside; I prefer two story houses) from the front of the house but the inside was completely remodeled, impressive and beautiful.  It got snapped up fairly quickly.  Not by us.

i would consider it but my wife wouldnt.  she rightfully points out that the older neighborhoods tend to not have as many young kids and when we have compared a newer with older, the prices werent different.  so really its for location or lot size

irvinehusky said:
I have a question for those of you that prefer or are only looking at newer homes.

Let's say a house was built in the 70s but the inside was COMPLETELY (I mean with all the new looks and appliances; no popcorn ceilings or flourescent lights anymore) remodeled in 2011.  So, if you were inside, it feels like a newer home.  But if you step outside, it still looks like a 70s house.  And, of course, the neighbors' houses have the 70s look as well.

Would you consider such a home?

I saw a house like this last year where it even looked like a single story (but actually was two story and huge inside; I prefer two story houses) from the front of the house but the inside was completely remodeled, impressive and beautiful.  It got snapped up fairly quickly.  Not by us.

I probably would not consider such a home. One of the reasons I like new construction is that I get to choose everything that I like (floors, countertops, some room options, etc). Even if an old home were completely upgraded on the inside to look new, it'd be new that's likely not completely of my taste.

That said, if the floor plan were perfect for my needs, and the interior decor happened to closely match my preferences, I might consider it, but I'd still be reluctant to because of the "first impression" that visitors would get of the neighborhood and exterior of the home.

So probably a no for me. In my current search for a new place to live, I was only looking at new construction. I'd browse Trulia/Zillow/etc, but only to confirm that I didn't like anything out there. Some people have (a) truly hideous tastes and/or (b) don't care how their house looks (e.g. clutter) for the photographs.

This also depends on the location.

Much of Turtle Rock looks like the 70s but it's a very nice area to live so you deal with it... and if the inside is circa 2011... that makes it easier to deal with.

Isn't this how people still live in Newport or Laguna?

irvinehomeowner said:
This also depends on the location.

Much of Turtle Rock looks like the 70s but it's a very nice area to live so you deal with it... and if the inside is circa 2011... that makes it easier to deal with.

Isn't this how people still live in Newport or Laguna?

NO.  thats why TR is soo odd to me.  when you drive through CDM or laguna, you see old and new mixed in together.  even north tustin looks much less dated than TR.  TR is exactly like the new TIC products with small lots and not large setbacks so people dont have much room to really change their houses.  we spent a few hours driving in and out of the little loops of TR and its definitely well planned with the open park centers in each little neighborhood but it was very very rare to see a house remodeled or totally redone

i definitely am generalizing but its not about how many you see in TR.  its about how relatively less it is than older neighborhoods like CDM, north tustin, laguna

IHS would point out that TR was built in 70s and over time would look more like the neighborhoods from the 50s.  maybe...

if one *must* live in irvine, then it makes more sense to buy new as the old isnt that much better. 

rkp said:
if one *must* live in irvine, then it makes more sense to buy new as the old isnt that much better. 
That also depends... if you want bigger lots... older may work... if you want a 3-car garage... older will work... if you don't want to pay MRs... most of the older doesn't have any.

There are pros and cons to older and newer... if one totally outweighed the other... there wouldn't be a market for both.

irvinehomeowner said:
rkp said:
That also depends... if you want bigger lots... older may work... if you want a 3-car garage... older will work... if you don't want to pay MRs... most of the older doesn't have any.

There are pros and cons to older and newer... if one totally outweighed the other... there wouldn't be a market for both.

dont get me wrong...there are a lot of pros on TR!  but whether there is a market or not doesnt mean that its meaningful, financially sound, better value, etc. 

*i* dont see the value in TR.  for the same $$$,  you can get so much more in north tustin or if you wanted to be by the coast, you can get in newport.

@rkp:

That's why I responded to your posts... when you say "one", you are applying your opinion to the general population and so I clarified with "it depends".

While YOU do not see the value in TR... that does NOT mean it does not exist for others (or else TR would not have the premium it does).

I used to love CDM when it was small summer beach cottages but driving through there now I get claustrophobic with the giant houses taking up the tiny lots.  It's the same with new construction in Irvine.  The streets seem too narrow and the houses too close together.  I feel like you can't breathe.

Recently I was at an estate sale in Floral Park.  I was impressed with the lot size and the space between neighbors of some of the Ranch Houses.  Walking past one house was like the equivalent of walking past four Irvine houses.

This actually sounds appealing to me, since I spend most of my time inside anyway, I really don't care what the outside looks like, it's only there for curb appeal when I sell it years from now. I always liked those 1980s movies where some dude opens up the side of some warehouse in the middle of some abandoned district in downtown, and then he gets inside and it's all decked out with all the latest gadgets and is pimping.

If the entire interior was re-done along with all of the plumbing and electrical I'd consider it.  Convincing the wife on the other hand would be difficult.  We just want something new so there isn't much to 'worry' about.  I understand that construction defects are common but we still like brand new homes.

Back