New home + home inspector

bones said:
I know Steve is the holy grail on TI but I'm thinking about using someone else for my new home final inspection. Anyone use Matt Henderson of summit recently (from Inc's compiled contractor list) or have any experience with other home inspectors? 

i used him on house we looked at in orange. also very good. i used him on several homes actually. even gave me a discount on the second home. then peeps here on TI were using steve so figured i would just give him a shot for the new home build we ended up buying. but would recommend matt.

Here's interesting read about why hire a home inspector for new construction is a good idea. 

The shoddy construction and hidden dangers in newly-built homes
The founder of Munro Home Inspections has seen toilets not bolted down securely, kitchen hood fans ventilated improperly, and joist hangers installed upside down, all in homes just about to be put on the market for the first time.

Then there was an 80-litre hot tub in the master bedroom ensuite located over the dining room in a beautiful new home that had been staged for an open house. As he does with all his inspections, Munro filled up the tub to make sure all the jets were working properly.

?I was somewhere else in the house waiting for the tub to fill, and then I hear a loud crack,? Munro says. ?The next thing I know the hot tub is in the basement two floors below. There were giant holes in two floors.?

Architectural drawings showed there was enough framing to support the weight of a full tub, but during construction, workers hadn?t installed the requisite lumber.

So when someone asks Munro if they really need to get a new residence inspected, his answer is ?Absolutely.?

Back