New hardwood floor over tile?

trip

We have a little over 1000 sqft of smooth ceramic tile flooring in the kitchen and family room that we want to put hardwood floor over.  Some said that we need to do a demolition of the tiles to have a smooth concrete floor for the new hardwood floor.  Others said that new hardwood floor can go over top of the tiles and actually better than on concrete floor because of less moisture on the tiles.  We don't mind paying roughly 1.50/sqft to demo the tiles, but we hate all that dust in the house with tiles demolition.  Has anyone put wood flooring over tiles?  What are your thoughts? 

What type of wood flooring would be best for kitchen?  Again we have conflicting opinions from contractors.  Some said engr hardwood, others said real hardwood.  Thanks.

If you don't love the tile and have no issues with cost, I would say demo the old tiles.  The stuff they use now is a pretty good adhesive and moisture barrier in one.  As for real hardwood vs engineered, we have been told that engineered is actually more resistant to moisture and just as durable as 'real' hardwood.  So I don't think there is a major difference.  I think as long as you find a wood type with the stain you like, just go for it.  Good luck!

We went with Richard Marshall hardwood floors downstairs.  There service and quality is top notch.  We get compliments on the floors from friends and friendly all the time.  I have them in the kitchen too and it's holding up very well, only downside is that they are oil based so it does require some up keep to refinish them when they look dull.

We also had tile before and demoed it all and replaced them with hardwoods, I don't think you have to remove the old tiles, you could just lay the hardwood over them.

Attached a picture to show you how they look.
6757f332.jpg

We have the exact same Richard Marshall hardwood floors throughout our downstairs...great minds,  ;).  Have had them for 7 years and no problems.  They do need a little love right now to get their shine up a bit.  Definitely pricey, but agree, well worth it and no regrets.

homer_simpson said:
We went with Richard Marshall hardwood floors downstairs.  There service and quality is top notch.  We get compliments on the floors from friends and friendly all the time.  I have them in the kitchen too and it's holding up very well, only downside is that they are oil based so it does require some up keep to refinish them when they look dull.

We also had tile before and demoed it all and replaced them with hardwoods, I don't think you have to remove the old tiles, you could just lay the hardwood over them.

Attached a picture to show you how they look.
6757f332.jpg

rough idea how much per sq ft?  the engineered woods at lumber liquidators are $3-6

rkp said:
rough idea how much per sq ft?  the engineered woods at lumber liquidators are $3-6
I don't remember exactly and I got ripped off by going through the builder (no choice back then cuz we had no disposable cash at that time and wanted to roll it into the mortgage), so my cost would be more expensive than going thru a flooring company.  I recently did a bunch of research on flooring and I think a good ballpark figure for nice hi end engineered flooring is $10/sq ft installed, but of course YMMV depending on hardwood chosen, what needs to be demo'ed, glued vs nailed vs floating, baseboards, etc.

RKP- I'll take a look at my old invoice when I get back from my trip. 

For these floors they are recommended to be refinished once a year.  They come by and use a fine wool to remove any residue on the top layer.. clean it and then apply a few coats of Tung Oil. 

thanks homer!  that is way over our budget but good to know what high quality floors command

to be clear - $11 is just the wood...doesnt include demo, install, install material right?

ah thanks...still more but not crazy more than what i am looking at...maybe i will give them a call :)

Didn't want to start a new thread for flooring... but does anyone have a good contact for carpet?  I wanna redo my upstairs with berber carpet, I have the shaggy carpet right now.

Normally, how much per sqft installed are the berber carpets? :)

homer_simpson said:
Didn't want to start a new thread for flooring... but does anyone have a good contact for carpet?  I wanna redo my upstairs with berber carpet, I have the shaggy carpet right now.

Normally, how much per sqft installed are the berber carpets? :)
Tompkins Flooring in Irvine did my carpet....good quality at reasonable prices.

New York Carpet in Fullerton.

They use leftovers or overruns but it's high quality at 50% or more off.

Their installation is also one of the better ones we've had (they properly tuck in edges to hard surface flooring).

For all the new homes in Irvine, are they using the berber style carpet?  Does anyone know the make/brand of carpet?  Hows the quality of it?

Back