New Construction - 30 days until COE - Fire Lane NO parking WTF!?

akio

Alright -- I'm pissed  :mad: We are 30 days away from COE on our SG Palo Alto home.

I visited the site today to find a shiny new street sign in front of our home "FIRE LANE. CUL-DE-SAC. NO PARKING". Yes, I'm suddenly subject to fines and/or tow away for parking in front of my own home....wtf.

I realize this is governed by the OCFA, and not the builder, however went through the builder's disclosure report and found no mention the front of our home being a fire lane.

My wife said this is a deal breaker and wants out. I'm on the fence. Would we have any chance to get our 25k deposit back at this point? Ughs...so disappointed.. :(

akio said:
Alright -- I'm pissed  :mad:. We are 30 days away from COE on our SG Palo Alto home.

I visited the site today to find a shiny new street sign in front of our home "FIRE LANE. CUL-DE-SAC. NO PARKING". Yes, I'm suddenly subject to fines and/or tow away for parking in front of my own home....wtf.

I realize this is governed by the OCFA, and not the builder, however went through the builder's disclosure report and found no mention the front of our home being a fire lane.

My wife said this is a deal breaker and wants out. I'm on the fence. Would we have any chance to get our 25k back at this point? Ughs...so dissapointed.. :(

It seems like most of cul-de-sacs have those signs now.  The new construction streets are so narrow that the fire trucks can't turn around without making a 3 point turn.

The good news is your neighbors won't be parking their jalopy in front of your million dollar home.  It forces them to use their garage or driveway (if they even have one).

akio said:
Alright -- I'm pissed  :mad: We are 30 days away from COE on our SG Palo Alto home.

My wife said this is a deal breaker and wants out. I'm on the fence. Would we have any chance to get our 25k deposit back at this point? Ughs...so disappointed.. :(
Man that's awful?the risks of buying in a new community, which I've done twice. Do you have a driveway? Garage? How close/far are other options for parking? I also wonder if the fire lane is under the jurisdiction of the HOA CC&Rs, because with that you might be stuck. You could lawyer up but that could get costly. Is it worth losing 25k over?

BruinDoc said:
Man that's awful?the risks of buying in a new community, which I've done twice. Do you have a driveway? Garage? How close/far are other options for parking? I also wonder if the fire lane is under the jurisdiction of the HOA CC&Rs, because with that you might be stuck. You could lawyer up but that could get costly. Is it worth losing 25k over?

Yes garage and full driveway. However with 2 motorcycles, a minivan, and enough outdoor toys for 3 kids, the garage is taken. The front of the house was going to be my spot. The FIRE LANE END zone ends at our home, however I'm sure the neighbor wouldn't appreciate my dirty Prius on their curb everyday...I know I wouldn't.

back in the olden days all homes came with a driveway, curbside parking, yard as wide as the lot, family room and nook. These were like the steering wheel that came with your brand new car. I am so sorry I stripped them all from my design.

Your entire garage is spoken for and driveway? Sounds like the neighbor nobody wants. Lol

All kidding aside, kind of, that sucks. Annoying when you have guests over too.

irvinehomeshopper said:
back in the olden days all homes came with a driveway, curbside parking, yard as wide as the lot, family room and nook. These were like the steering wheel that came with your brand new car. I am so sorry I stripped them all from my design.

New Homes without driveways are common. (Not just in Irvine) I guess builders are maximizing the space.

jmoney74 said:
Your entire garage is spoken for and driveway? Sounds like the neighbor nobody wants. Lol

All kidding aside, kind of, that sucks. Annoying when you have guests over too.

I doubt it's a 3CWG.  That would be a deal breaker for me too.  Seriously, when the family is young, they may have two cars. But one mid-age and the kids hit driving age in high school, 3 or 4 cards per house becomes fairly typical in affluent neighborhoods. 

Where are those cars going?  Or does everybody think we'll just google car it of uber it to school and practice and anything else they want to do?

Irvine Dream said:
No parking in the cul-de-sac area for fire lane is nothing new.  I know it exists in 20-year old developments in Irvine

the truth.  both the irvine cul de sacs where i've lived that were built in 2004 and 2017 have fire lanes and no parking at the end.

dethman said:
Irvine Dream said:
No parking in the cul-de-sac area for fire lane is nothing new.  I know it exists in 20-year old developments in Irvine

the truth.  both the irvine cul de sacs where i've lived that were built in 2004 and 2017 have fire lanes and no parking at the end.

That's true for Irvine but not the case in some other cities.  And also there's just not many cul de sac in the new development, this is probably one of the thing not many buyer aware of  right away.

The builder's lot disclosure map should have indicated such info and  I've seen the "red zone" indicated in a few of new build I've interested In the past.

This is just really sucks for OP and I'm not even sure what I would do in this situation. 

akio said:

How did you only pay $25k for deposit?  Isn't palo alto like $1.5 million?  I had to folk over $25k for $850k condo....

You can still park in the cul-de-sacs in Westpark, Woodbridge and Oak Creek.

Does this gain points on YellowFever's chart?

#KeepinItHazardous

akio said:

Akio, what street is your home on? 

irvineorbust said:
akio said:

How did you only pay $25k for deposit?  Isn't palo alto like $1.5 million?  I had to folk over $25k for $850k condo....

no upgrades either?

AA said:
akio said:

Akio, what street is your home on?

Isn't that kind of personal? (Just saying, it's up to akio)

Congrats on the purchase! Which plan did you go with? We ALMOST pulled the trigger on plan 3 last year. Love the homes there.

Regardless of the no cul de sac parking, the homes are beautiful. You will eventually adjust and still be able to use the cul de sac for the kids to play!

Assuming you bought a premium lot with a decent sized backyard backing to Portola?

I like the Plan 3 as well but I couldn't get past the super high cinder block walls in back.  If you have one of the few larger lots maybe it's ok, but 90% of the lots are 10ft deep and that huge wall keeps the light out.

Back