New communities in Portola Springs

HC home prices reflect the highest spin cycle on the cash laundry scale. Yes, this sold in 2023 for $7m, but looking at the historical photos and those of the present day, the best indicator is the "landscaping". No change since 1st build in 2017 and is something to behold. There are about 5-6 in the community in the same state as Scenic Crest. How the HOA has allowed these to go uncompleted for so long is a mystery.

Its often the case with new home builders that in early phases company insiders will have purchased a few of the better lots. Perhaps that is why the expected price increases haven't occurred. I know those who are looking to flip, no matter the phase, will have that $50-100k price increase built in for the next buyer to absorb.
I remember there were a few homes like that in Turtle Ridge back in the day. People bought in the tract with the largest homes they had, and sat bare like the one you sent above for years. Crazy.

If any of you have worked with Shea before you wouldn't be surprised. Shea is all about bringing the best product to market and not necessarily looking to maximize profits. There's a reason why they operate as a private company versus toll brothers. Shea salespeople hate working with IP and are only doing it to market their brand and their products. Unfortunately with Cielo they aren't able to really change the floor plans to Shea's liking. One can see their previous products like Cetara and Teresina and compare it with other tract home builders to see the difference.
Cetara and Teresina layouts were much better than some of Shea's previous home designs like the Padova homes at OH which were not that great. At least they are much better in terms of quality and design than builders like KB, Taylor Morrison and Lennar.

It seems like Shea did change out some materials inside the Cielo model homes when they took over from IP such as the plumbing fixtures, thermostats, light switches and fixtures that Shea typically uses in their other home communities.

Cetara and Teresina layouts were much better than some of Shea's previous home designs like the Padova homes at OH which were not that great. At least they are much better in terms of quality and design than builders like KB, Taylor Morrison and Lennar.

It seems like Shea did change out some materials inside the Cielo model homes when they took over from IP such as the plumbing fixtures, thermostats, light switches and fixtures that Shea typically uses in their other home communities.
We loved IP's Cielo layout, so we were really happy Shea didn't get a chance to make changes to the layouts. I would have preferred the Nest thermostats and the Lutron switches and fixtures. The other thing I don't like is that CAT6 wiring to all the rooms won't be standard. Only one CAT6 outlet at Great Room is standard.

Aren't one of the floor plans for Cielo where you first walk in and the first thing you see are stairs in the middle of the home? That really bugged me and threw me off. Like why would IP think that putting a staircase as the first thing one sees when entering a home is appealing?

Also the second floor hallways to other bedrooms are so narrow and small for a 2.6M+ home. Not to mention the 36 inch fridges instead of 48 inch.

Last edited:
I just looked at the floor plans... it's when the stairs lead out the doorway that people consider this non-Feng Shui. None of the plans are configured that way.

We loved IP's Cielo layout, so we were really happy Shea didn't get a chance to make changes to the layouts. I would have preferred the Nest thermostats and the Lutron switches and fixtures. The other thing I don't like is that CAT6 wiring to all the rooms won't be standard. Only one CAT6 outlet at Great Room is standard.
I agree the Nest thermostats were much better than the Honeywell thermostats that Shea is offering now. Not sure why they got rid of the Lutron switches as Lutron is one of the best lighting systems in the industry and works really well.

I'm surprised that Shea is charging extra for CAT6 wiring for the whole house which a lot of builders offer as standard now.

I agree the Nest thermostats were much better than the Honeywell thermostats that Shea is offering now. Not sure why they got rid of the Lutron switches as Lutron is one of the best lighting systems in the industry and works really well.

I'm surprised that Shea is charging extra for CAT6 wiring for the whole house which a lot of builders offer as standard now.
Their reasoning is that they put 2 in ceiling WiFi access points that supposedly covers the entire house. It costs $170 for each CAT6 outlet, or you can choose 4 outlets for $536.

• Woodbury Elementary to Kaiser Sand Canyon is 11 mins
  • Stonegate Elementary to Kaiser Sand Canyon is 15 mins
  • Portola Springs Elementary to Kaiser Sand Canyon is 16 mins. It's 1 extra minute to get to the 405/Sand Canyon w/o using the toll road
What are the 'other villages' you're referring to?

Portola is far less cookie-cutter compared to the flatter villages. The market will dictate the pricing, not the other way around.
Thanks for letting me know I'm right. I said 15-20mins to 405/5 freeway.

Less cookie-cutter is still cookie cutter homes so thanks again for letting me know i'm right. I didn't say market will not dictate pricing, I asked if you would buy a 3.58M cookie cutter home. You didn't seem to answer the question but if I were to guess I'm sure you wouldn't. So thank you again for letting me know I'm right about how insane the pricing is in PS

Thanks for letting me know I'm right. I said 15-20mins to 405/5 freeway.

Less cookie-cutter is still cookie cutter homes so thanks again for letting me know i'm right. I didn't say market will not dictate pricing, I asked if you would buy a 3.58M cookie cutter home. You didn't seem to answer the question but if I were to guess I'm sure you wouldn't. So thank you again for letting me know I'm right about how insane the pricing is in PS
Again - this goes back to my original question that you've yet to answer. What are the 'other villages' that you're referring to?

Because PS is not 15-20 further from the 5 or 405 compared to any of the newer villages that are east of the 5. And ALL of the newer villages are tract homes that have a bit of a cookie-cutter feel. What village doesn't have any cookie-cutter feel? Even Hidden Canyon is guilty of that, and you know what those prices are like.

You said you prefer GP over PS. That's not cookie-cutter? Drive down Modjeska, near Irvine Blvd. Drive down Bosque, near Great Park Blvd. Let me know if that's not cookie-cutter. And Cadence Park ES to Kaiser Sand Canyon is 10 mins away...so only a 6 min difference.

If that 3.58M property has a view, and I had the $$, I wouldn't rule it out at all.

Unlike New Home Company, Shea just want to move homes. They didn't raise prices on Arbor either, just like Cielo, and all the Arbor homes are sold out. I believe that all Cielo homes are also sold since sales lady was busy yesterday and today, meeting with buyers to sign reservation package.

Attachments

• IMG_9604.jpg
    IMG_9604.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 47
Again - this goes back to my original question that you've yet to answer. What are the 'other villages' that you're referring to?

Because PS is not 15-20 further from the 5 or 405 compared to any of the newer villages that are east of the 5. And ALL of the newer villages are tract homes that have a bit of a cookie-cutter feel. What village doesn't have any cookie-cutter feel? Even Hidden Canyon is guilty of that, and you know what those prices are like.

You said you prefer GP over PS. That's not cookie-cutter? Drive down Modjeska, near Irvine Blvd. Drive down Bosque, near Great Park Blvd. Let me know if that's not cookie-cutter. And Cadence Park ES to Kaiser Sand Canyon is 10 mins away...so only a 6 min difference.

If that 3.58M property has a view, and I had the $$, I wouldn't rule it out at all.
Cypress Village, Eastwood, GP, etc are all better located and closer to the 5/405 than PS. I said PS is 15-20mins away from the 405/5.

When did I ever say the other villages are not cookie cutter? If you’ve been following my posts I have never been fond of Irvine and their cookie cutter homes that sell for 2.5m+. What I said was PS is the most inconveniently located out of all the villages. Don’t only go after me, a couple of others have said the same exact thing as well dude.

Oh did we also forget how PS is located in a fire hazard zone and GP/EW/CP are not? So you’re telling me you would pay a premium only to have the house have a higher chance of being burned down in the future? 3.58m well spent right 😂😂

Cypress Village, Eastwood, GP, etc are all better located and closer to the 5/405 than PS. I said PS is 15-20mins away from the 405/5.

When did I ever say the other villages are not cookie cutter? If you’ve been following my posts I have never been fond of Irvine and their cookie cutter homes that sell for 2.5m+. What I said was PS is the most inconveniently located out of all the villages. Don’t only go after me, a couple of others have said the same exact thing as well dude.

Oh did we also forget how PS is located in a fire hazard zone and GP/EW/CP are not? So you’re telling me you would pay a premium only to have the house have a higher chance of being burned down in the future? 3.58m well spent right 😂😂
Eastwood?? 🤣 It's a whole 4 mins faster to the 5/405!..plus people there have been complaining about American Asphalt for years. GP? You must love double (and annually increasing) MR. CV is central, but the haters will tell you it's TOO close to the freeway and will cite studies to prove their point. I lived in CV for 5 years, liked it for the conveniences, but like PS more.

So you say you "have never been fond of Irvine". Why are you on TI then? Nobody is stopping you from starting a 'Talk Corona' or 'Talk Long Beach' or some other website if you don't like Irvine.

Eastwood?? 🤣 It's a whole 4 mins faster to the 5/405!..plus people there have been complaining about American Asphalt for years. GP? You must love double (and annually increasing) MR. CV is central, but the haters will tell you it's TOO close to the freeway and will cite studies to prove their point. I lived in CV for 5 years, liked it for the conveniences, but like PS more.

So you say you "have never been fond of Irvine". Why are you on TI then? Nobody is stopping you from starting a 'Talk Corona' or 'Talk Long Beach' or some other website if you don't like Irvine.
Same here i used to live in CV for over 5 years it's convenient but didn't like it much. li
Living in PS now and decide to upgrade to our next home in PS again just because we love the community here much more than CV or GP. Im sure there are people like us Not everyone weight "freeway convenience" the most when choosing houses.

Unlike New Home Company, Shea just want to move homes. They didn't raise prices on Arbor either, just like Cielo, and all the Arbor homes are sold out. I believe that all Cielo homes are also sold since sales lady was busy yesterday and today, meeting with buyers to sign reservation package.
Arbor's floor plans are larger and better than Fiore and the location is also better, the community seems to be more popular than Fiore too. Wonder how that's going to affect the pricing of Fiore by CalPac now.

I find it funny how you haven’t found any of my claims to be false but instead you try to change the argument and start talking about MR, close to freeway, asphalt, etc. all points that I have never brought up and does not defeat the fact that PS is still poorly located compared to the villages I mentioned. Not to forget it’s in an area prone to fires. Thanks again for indirectly letting me know I’m right 😏😏

Your last comment is a weak one and also completely unrelated to the discussion.

Last edited:
Same here i used to live in CV for over 5 years it's convenient but didn't like it much. li
Living in PS now and decide to upgrade to our next home in PS again just because we love the community here much more than CV or GP. Im sure there are people like us Not everyone weight "freeway convenience" the most when choosing houses.
Well if you’re 15-20mins from the main freeway, that’s not something everyone will be ok with either.. there’s always going to be pros/cons. It’s a matter of what you are willing to sacrifice.

If one normally doesn’t go out of Irvine, yeah it’s not a big deal. However, if you travel out of Irvine often, it can be a deal breaker as it’s probably longer than 15-20 mins with trafffic. What about the fact it’s in an area where it’s prone for fires? Not everyone is willing to drop 2.5M+ to potentially have it burn down in the future.

Last edited:
Someone keeps saying that PS is 15-20 mins away from 5/405, but that's completely false. PS is 10 mins away from 5 and less than 15 minutes from 405.

Also, happening once doesn't mean "prone for fires". PS, unlike OH, is NOT considered to be in a fire hazard zone. BR, Serrano Summit, and Portola Hills are closer to fire hazard zone than PS, as well.

Arbor's floor plans are larger and better than Fiore and the location is also better, the community seems to be more popular than Fiore too. Wonder how that's going to affect the pricing of Fiore by CalPac now.
Arbor is much better than Fiore, no doubt. Floorplans, location and proximity to community center makes it much more popular than Fiore. Location is also the same reason Olivewood is more popular than Cielo/Azul, even though its floorplans are inferior to Cielo.

As for the pricing of Fiore, I'm expecting Plan 1 to be $1.6M-$1.7M and Plan 2 to be around $1.8M. The reason it can price as high, or almost as high as Arbor, is that Arbor priority list is already closed. So if you want to be a detached condo this size, you have to choice but to go with Fiore. This is the same reason Azul can sell as high as Cielo, even though it's much smaller than Cielo, because Cielo priority list is already closed as well.

Back