New communities in Portola Springs

How is PS located compared to other areas of Irvine? It's probably the furthest away from 5/405 freeway. out of all of Irvine.
PS is about ~5 mins further from the 5/405....but it's still in IUSD and has a varied topography that many of the other villages don't provide, so it feels MUCH less cookie-cutter than the other newer villages.

PS is about ~5 mins further from the 5/405....but it's still in IUSD and has a varied topography that many of the other villages don't provide, so it feels MUCH less cookie-cutter than the other newer villages.
Doesn't it take 15-20mins to the 5/405? "doesn't feel as cookie-cutter compared to other villages" is still cookie cutter right? Are you telling me you will spend 3.58M on a cookie cutter home?

Last edited:
Eastvale is pretty nice, some say the homes are too cookie cutter and prefer custom homes in Norco next door. In old days Corona was the better city with good school district, but I think these new developments will give them a run for the money. Just need more/closer train stations.
Eastvale is actually a lot nicer now with 99 Ranch built next to Costco. It sucks that they only completed it after we moved.

Seems like some people don't understand the concept of "location, location, location."

My Eastvale home was 3309 sq ft, with a 3-car wide garage, sitting on a 9000 sq ft lot, but it only sold for $950k, but that's another story for another time.
Well the thing about it is PS is not considered a desirable location, central or amenity-wise. Up until the last couple years when these super pricy homes came on the market, PS was the place to move in Irvine if you wanted to pay less because it's not close to the freeway or anything else. I like PS because of the topography and surroundings, but it's not chosen because of central location for sure. I also think many people are new to the city and see a brand spanking new and nice area and choose there which is also driving up the prices in the area.

Doesn't it take 15-20mins to the 5/405? "doesn't feel as cookie-cutter compared to other villages" is still is cookie cutter right? Are you telling me you will spend 3.58M on a cookie cutter home?
My friend recently moved out of PS and was always talking about how much longer it took to get everywhere. Granted, everyone has different things they need or want to be close to. Without taking the 133, driving down Sand Canyon can be a nightmare to the 5. Another friend of mine lives in Stonegate and avoids that Sand Canyon drag a lot because it's chaotic. But for him, he frequents The Market Place & things in that general direction, so he doesn't feel that far away from stuff unless he's driving towards Newport.

Well the thing about it is PS is not considered a desirable location, central or amenity-wise. Up until the last couple years when these super pricy homes came on the market, PS was the place to move in Irvine if you wanted to pay less because it's not close to the freeway or anything else. I like PS because of the topography and surroundings, but it's not chosen because of central location for sure. I also think many people are new to the city and see a brand spanking new and nice area and choose there which is also driving up the prices in the area.
To be honest, I feel GP is better location than PS. The only reason why it's not selling better than PS is because of MR and the tri-level condos.

I also find it funny how everyone on here was all in agreement about 119 Sunnyslope pricing being overpriced at 3.58M and when I decide to say something about it, people clap back as if they think it's worth that price saying "location location location, IUSD, PS isn't as cookie-cutter compared to other villages, blah blah blah". If you're paying 3.58M to have access to a "good" public school you're a joke. One can take many kids to IVY leagues with that type of money. If one REALLY values their kids education one would take them private, not public.

We got some horrible trolls here and you all know who you are :)

Well, desirable location is subjective. Some people like to live in the city, others in the suburbs. Central location is not anywhere near the top priority for families with children. School is. Portola High getting a better reputation is one of the reasons people are moving into PS. And I guess being the only area right now with new constructions is another driving factor. Chinese cash buyers only go for new constructions.

I do agree that Sand Canyon sucks. That is why I prefer to take Jeffrey to 5 North. I don't go 5 South often, or ever, but if I were to do that, I would take Bake.

To be honest, I feel GP is better location than PS. The only reason why it's not selling better than PS is because of MR and the tri-level condos.

I also find it funny how everyone on here was all in agreement about 119 Sunnyslope pricing being overpriced at 3.58M and when I decide to say something about it, people clap back as if they think it's worth that price saying "location location location, IUSD, blah blah blah". We got some horrible trolls here and you all know who you are :)

133 makes PS central for me. 5/405 are 5 minutes away
But what exactly is PS central to? It's a secluded northern village.

Well, desirable location is subjective. Some people like to live in the city, others in the suburbs. Central location is not anywhere near the top priority for families with children. School is. Portola High getting a better reputation is one of the reasons people are moving into PS. And I guess being the only area right now with new constructions is another driving factor. Chinese cash buyers only go for new constructions.

I do agree that Sand Canyon sucks. That is why I prefer to take Jeffrey to 5 North. I don't go 5 South often, or ever, but if I were to do that, I would take Bake.
Maybe it's the HS that has changed PS then, because it seems to have become very desirable as of recent...again it's definitely subjective, but everyone used to hate on PS for whatever reason.

The city needs to make the 133 for Irvine Blvd free to alleviate traffic on Sand Canyon for sure. AND the tolls and Irvine need to come to an agreement and extend Portola to FR, but I'm sure that won't happen haha.

I think the fires made OH less desirable but it's not like PS isn't in the danger zone either.

The elevation of this last bastion of PS is definitely a plus as the older PS is not as high up.

Really does need retail close by. Woodbury and OH centers are so far away.

And if the 405 is only 5 minutes from PS... morekaos loves EVs.

Just found out that New Home Co. took over the remaining lots at Ravello Groves in Orchard Hills from Irvine Pacific and they have already started building out their own model homes for each plan. Given the pricing of Cielo at Portola Springs by Shea which is very similar to Ravello and of Olivewood at Portola Springs by New Home Co., I expect the pricing for Ravello Groves by New Home Co. to start in the high $2.9M's to low $3M's, so FCB's get your cash ready to line up for the priority list! 🤣

“But what exactly is PS central to? It's a secluded northern village” it takes 5 minutes to get on to freeway from pretty much any decent neighborhood

Just found out that New Home Co. took over the remaining lots at Ravello Groves in Orchard Hills from Irvine Pacific and they have already started building out their own model homes for each plan. Given the pricing of Cielo at Portola Springs by Shea which is very similar to Ravello and of Olivewood at Portola Springs by New Home Co., I expect the pricing for Ravello Groves by New Home Co. to start in the high $2.9M's to low $3M's, so FCB's get your cash ready to line up for the priority list! 🤣
If The New Home Company took over Ravello Groves, then expect the starting price at $3.5M rather than $2.9M.

Olivewood 1 is 2870 sq ft and is already at $2.9M. Some tiny corner lot Olivewood 3 (3220 sq ft), which is almost identical to Ravello 1 (3225 sq ft) is going for $3.5M.

I expect Shea is going to raise the prices of Cielo to at least $2.8M on Plan 1 in the next release, presumably mid Jan.

If you take 133, 5 minutes.. each way toll is $2.5.. $5/day..1 Starbucks coffee
so to justify how conveniently located PS is we are now not only paying more property taxes but we also need to pay taxes to drive on the freeway? it's as if we don't pay enough taxes already on a daily basis, let's add more taxes to our daily lifestyle! :)

you should probably do the math. If one person needs to drive to office 5 times a week, how much. money would that be? If you factor in compound interest and putting that money in an index fund you would be surprised how much of a tax a starbucks a day can be.

If The New Home Company took over Ravello Groves, then expect the starting price at $3.5M rather than $2.9M.

Olivewood 1 is 2870 sq ft and is already at $2.9M. Some tiny corner lot Olivewood 3 (3220 sq ft), which is almost identical to Ravello 1 (3225 sq ft) is going for $3.5M.

I expect Shea is going to raise the prices of Cielo to at least $2.8M on Plan 1 in the next release, presumably mid Jan.
Low $3M's to $3.5M's for Ravello Groves by New Home Co. seems likely based on how the New Home Co. has priced Olivewood which is a complete joke since the Olivewood homes are inferior to the Cielo and Ravello homes! Yes, it seems very likely that Shea will be next to increase their prices significantly for Cielo with each phase release especially with the recently sold 119 Sunnyslope Cielo comp.

It would be interesting to see how New Home Co. prices the Ravello Groves homes because none of the Ravello Groves lots are view lots and are pretty much standard lots but I guess they will charge a premium for the Ravello Groves homes being located in a guard gated community unlike the Cielo and Olivewood homes in Portola Springs. As long as there is enough FCB demand for these homes the prices won't come down anytime soon.

Low $3M's to $3.5M's for Ravello Groves by New Home Co. seems likely based on how the New Home Co. has priced Olivewood which is a complete joke since the Olivewood homes are inferior to the Cielo and Ravello homes! Yes, it seems very likely that Shea will be next to increase their prices significantly for Cielo with each phase release especially with the recently sold 119 Sunnyslope Cielo comp.

It would be interesting to see how New Home Co. prices the Ravello Groves homes because none of the Ravello Groves lots are view lots and are pretty much standard lots but I guess they will charge a premium for the Ravello Groves homes being located in a guard gated community unlike the Cielo and Olivewood homes in Portola Springs. As long as there is enough FCB demand for these homes the prices won't come down anytime soon.
119 Sunnyslope can't be used for Cielo comp since it's a view lot. And since the upcoming view lots for Cielo are city views, it can't use that as comp either since city views have $1M premium (vs. $250k to $300k for mountain view).

Right now, Olivewood 3 non-view lot is $3.5M and view lot is $4M, which is why I think Ravello will start at $3.5M. And Ravello standard lots are much bigger than Olivewood lots, which mostly range from 3600 sq ft to 4200 sq ft. There are a few exceptions, like lot 93 at 6770 sq ft, which also happens to be a view lot. That one is going for $5M. 😂

so to justify how conveniently located PS is we are now not only paying more property taxes but we also need to pay taxes to drive on the freeway? it's as if we don't pay enough taxes already on a daily basis, let's add more taxes to our daily lifestyle! :)

you should probably do the math. If one person needs to drive to office 5 times a week, how much. money would that be? If you factor in compound interest and putting that money in an index fund you would be surprised how much of a tax a starbucks a day can be.
That’s why I always believe the best location in Irvine is south of 405. But if you don’t mind old houses and can afford upgrades for a modern facelift, SFRs built by JM Peters in WestPark are the best value in Irvine.

Back