New communities in Portola Springs

I think there was some motor court ones in the 2010 New Home Collection in Woodbury and then Cypress Village... Stonegate was shortly thereafter.

Bones would know. :)
There're Marigold and Jasmine in CV that are detached condos with no driveways, Marigold started in 2013 and Jasmine started around 2014/15 and is almost identical to Stonegate's San Mateo

Stonegate was before Cypress Village? That's probably right. After the 2010 New Home Collection... IP went a little crazy with new hoods.

Don’t older hoods in West Irvine pointe, Northwood pointe, quail hill and turtle ridge also have motor court detached condos? They just don’t have the L shaped open floor plan compared to the new hoods (Woodbury 2010 collection and later).

Builders have been slowly taking away stuff since forever in Irvine. At least GP gave you back a third floor… except (most) people (on TI) don’t like them 😁

Don’t older hoods in West Irvine pointe, Northwood pointe, quail hill and turtle ridge also have motor court detached condos? They just don’t have the L shaped open floor plan compared to the new hoods (Woodbury 2010 collection and later).

Yeah but those were back entry garages.

What was new was front entry/garages with motorcourts without driveways.

I don't remember them in the first phases of Stonegate and maybe not even Woodbury 2010 Collection but do distinctly remember Cypress Village because I was commenting on it... "Is this the new normal?".

Builders have been slowly taking away stuff since forever in Irvine. At least GP gave you back a third floor… except (most) people (on TI) don’t like them 😁
I dunno... the 3WCG disappeared pretty quickly... and the Great Room concept killed the formal dining and living room in one fell swoop.

I dunno... the 3WCG disappeared pretty quickly... and the Great Room concept killed the formal dining and living room in one fell swoop.
Personally, I think formal dining and living room is a waste of space, so I'm all for it. Of course, I'm only saying that because my wife hates hosting parties, so that would be a great excuse. :ROFLMAO:

But 3WCG disappearing is a great shame.

Personally, I think formal dining and living room is a waste of space, so I'm all for it. Of course, I'm only saying that because my wife hates hosting parties, so that would be a great excuse. :ROFLMAO:

formal dining and living is fine, if the house is big enough, 3500+ or even 4000 square feet.

Housing styles and fashions change over a decade. Does that mean that they have to revise their building plans and floor plans to accommodate that if they pause building? Did they do that when waiting to build OH?
Builders & developers will 100% revise plans if needed. For example, in Portola Springs, Brookfield added an entire second level to one of their floorplans during that economic slump years ago. Orchard Hills was also slated to have many more homes than they included in the finalized plan.

There was also the time when Woodbury East was being developed and some of the projects were abandoned and redone. For example, California Pacific Homes built a tract there called Sienna. Sienna was abandoned and the model homes were sold by KB. KB then built the remaining lots with the "new" open floor plans versus CalPac's more traditional detached courtyard homes. It's too bad they never built more of the Sienna plans either because they seemed to be like an upgraded version of their previous courtyard homes.

Here's one of the model homes that was for sale in 2020 for reference:

Missing a driveway is a complete shame

Christmas celebration for the first time at someone's house since before Covid... those separate spaces come in very handy when there are lots of people over. Tamale making (or dumpling stuffing) in the kichen/nook, poker (or mahjong) in the formal dining, charades (or dancing) in the living, watching football (or basketball) in the family room.
I was jealous... they had 2 cars in the garage and 5 bikes and a fridge in the 3rd. :(

Christmas celebration for the first time at someone's house since before Covid... those separate spaces come in very handy when there are lots of people over. Tamale making (or dumpling stuffing) in the kichen/nook, poker (or mahjong) in the formal dining, charades (or dancing) in the living, watching football (or basketball) in the family room.

I was jealous... they had 2 cars in the garage and 5 bikes and a fridge in the 3rd. :(
I don't disagree but depending on the square footage, forgoing a formal living space for a bigger great room space may be more practical for everyday life. You'll probably counter with piano practice in the (formal) living room and homework in the (formal) dining room but I think most small families just congregate in the family spaces now. Everyone's on their phone anyway :)

I don't disagree but depending on the square footage, forgoing a formal living space for a bigger great room space may be more practical for everyday life. You'll probably counter with piano practice in the (formal) living room and homework in the (formal) dining room but I think most small families just congregate in the family spaces now. Everyone's on their phone anyway :)
No I understand.,.. for "non-social" families... it works better although I have to say, WFH did make that harder even if you had that separate downstairs den/office/bedroom.

In a previous home we had that pseudo great room where the family room was connected to the nook/kitchen, we mostly gathered there... but it was nice to have the living room for people who didn't want to watch what everyone else was watching or didn't want to be bothered by the cooking sounds/smells.

And yes, piano was in the living room but homework was in their own bedrooms... unless they needed parental guidance which would take place in the nook or the dining room.

I like the Great Room AND the separate dining/living areas... hence some of the plans in PP (Pavilion not Parasol).

That extra living space need is why lofts are so popular now in floorplans.

And don't forget Siena over at Laguna Altura, it was available around the same time as San Mateo...

I remember that a few of my buyers called Stonegate SanMateoGate because that's all that they were building since they sold so well (3 different phases in fact when the dust settled).

Back