New communities in Portola Springs

LOL, how about their "dramatic 21? volume ceilings". The spaces are so out of proportion. The ceiling is so high, yet the width is so narrow, makes you feel like you are at bottom of a well or canyon. Just be there and feel. If you have been to the narrows at Zion nation park, lol.

CalBears96 said:
box said:
One small detail that is nice about Fresco is 8' doors throughout. But both upstairs and downstairs are "only" 9' ceilings.

PS is nice in that it has 10' ceilings downstairs, with 9' ceiling upstairs. I wish they had used 8' doors upstairs though.

I guess each community has its own advantages.

I wonder what OH Ravello has? I would be a little surprised if they had 7' doors upstairs.

Yeah, it would be nice if upstairs doors were also 8'.  It's such a pain to get the step ladders past those 7' doors.

The 10' ceiling downstairs is great, but it was rough changing the recessed lighting. Even when I used the highest step (not recommended) on the ladder, I barely reached the ceiling. It was especially rough on the coffered ceiling in master bedroom, which is a bit higher than 10', where I barely touched the recessed lighting.

chasingpowder said:
LOL, how about their "dramatic 21? volume ceilings". The spaces are so out of proportion. The ceiling is so high, yet the width is so narrow, makes you feel like you are at bottom of a well or canyon. Just be there and feel. If you have been to the narrows at Zion nation park, lol.

CalBears96 said:
box said:
One small detail that is nice about Fresco is 8' doors throughout. But both upstairs and downstairs are "only" 9' ceilings.

PS is nice in that it has 10' ceilings downstairs, with 9' ceiling upstairs. I wish they had used 8' doors upstairs though.

I guess each community has its own advantages.

I wonder what OH Ravello has? I would be a little surprised if they had 7' doors upstairs.

Yeah, it would be nice if upstairs doors were also 8'.  It's such a pain to get the step ladders past those 7' doors.

The 10' ceiling downstairs is great, but it was rough changing the recessed lighting. Even when I used the highest step (not recommended) on the ladder, I barely reached the ceiling. It was especially rough on the coffered ceiling in master bedroom, which is a bit higher than 10', where I barely touched the recessed lighting.

Well, we love that "dramatic 21' volume ceiling" in the great room. At least, it's not narrow. The sound effect, though, does make it feel like that you're at the bottom of a canyon.  ;D

3CWG and double front entrance door are becoming a dinosaur now...I am concerned about servicing my 3rd single garage in the future; and double door hardware are hard to come by (you need to buy one pair of door handles, one of them dummy; they no longer sell these in stores, have to do online order)...

irvinehomeowner said:
chasingpowder said:
They are equally, sameness BAD. I hope people stop buying so irvine company will improve in the future.

Don't hold your breath... I thought the same when they got rid of 3CWG, then formal dining, then 3CG (no more tandems) and then driveways.

That's the blessing and curse of Irvine, there will always be well-financed buyers but it just drives less for more.

box said:
Does any community exist with 3CWG and 9'+ ceiling height?

Depends... many of the older 3CWGs in Irvine have vaulted ceiling areas, even upstairs... one of my homes has a master with 18' ceiling.. made it hard to change the smoke alarm back-up battery. :)

not in Irvine, but our 3CWG floorpan also has this "dramatic' volume ceiling (my wife hates it because it is way too big/open and she thinks it is wasted space) and also vaulted ceiling in the master. everywhere else is 8' ceiling though.

irvinehomeowner said:
box said:
Does any community exist with 3CWG and 9'+ ceiling height?

Depends... many of the older 3CWGs in Irvine have vaulted ceiling areas, even upstairs... one of my homes has a master with 18' ceiling.. made it hard to change the smoke alarm back-up battery. :)

I'm personally not a fan of vaulted / volume ceilings...nice during the day, but too dark at night if the recessed lights are that high from the ground. Also, the house I grew up in had vaulted ceilings and the only thing that sticks out in my mind about them is the accumulation of spider webs so high up that were a PITA to clean.

I'd much rather have 9'+ flat ceilings than vaulted / volume ceilings. I'm not aware of any houses with 9'+ flat ceilings that existed during the 3CWG era.

You can say the same thing about back yard too. If the yard is too big it will be a pita to maintain and all your kids will remember is weeds everywhere as they grow up. And big backyard without proper lighting at night is also scary; who knows what kind of creatures or boogeyman are out of there.

box said:
I'm personally not a fan of vaulted / volume ceilings...nice during the day, but too dark at night if the recessed lights are that high from the ground. Also, the house I grew up in had vaulted ceilings and the only thing that sticks out in my mind about them is the accumulation of spider webs so high up that were a PITA to clean.

I'd much rather have 9'+ flat ceilings than vaulted / volume ceilings. I'm not aware of any houses with 9'+ flat ceilings that existed during the 3CWG era.

To me, things gotta be proportional. If have 20+? ceilings, the room needs to be a decent size. You cannot have super high ceilings with a tiny room like Azul and Cielo. It?s personal feelings I agree. But just visit Azul and Cielo and feel. Rooms small, walls  so high, it?s a well?

That's nice to have, cause bedroom ceilings are not super high. Having a small living room with 'dramatic' super high ceiling and high walls is horseshit, batshit.

irvinehomeowner said:
Most of the homes we've lived in had vaulted ceilings in the master... prefer that over the flat lower ceilings.

box said:

My great room has 9 recessed lights, so the lighting is just fine even though they're that high from the ground. However, since it's vaulted, I feel that the higher side seems to be a bit dimmer.

at least TIC is trying to give new home buyers some volume

chasingpowder said:
That's nice to have, cause bedroom ceilings are not super high. Having a small living room with 'dramatic' super high ceiling and high walls is horseshit, batshit.

irvinehomeowner said:
Most of the homes we've lived in had vaulted ceilings in the master... prefer that over the flat lower ceilings.

Yes, I can actually understand them now. Dramatic ceilings are not offered in the last five years or so, it's an advantage to sell. But I still hope people can visit in person, sit on the chairs in the living room and feel whether you like.

The California Court Company said:
at least TIC is trying to give new home buyers some volume

chasingpowder said:

irvinehomeowner said:

For rooms with "super" vaulted ceilings... you don't need to rely just on recessed lighting.

There is an entire market for floor lamps and accent lighting... also makes the room less boring. :)

But I do get the whole wasted space feeling... but there is also a market for that:https://www.loftcrafters.com

I would rather play indoor badminton with my kids.

irvinehomeowner said:
For rooms with "super" vaulted ceilings... you don't need to rely just on recessed lighting.

There is an entire market for floor lamps and accent lighting... also makes the room less boring. :)

But I do get the whole wasted space feeling... but there is also a market for that:https://www.loftcrafters.com

I actually have another question regarding their ?dramatic? high ceilings. They added big fixed windows at the upper half of the walls. With your neighbors right next to you, how about the privacy??

chasingpowder said:
I actually have another question regarding their ?dramatic? high ceilings. They added big fixed windows at the upper half of the walls. With your neighbors right next to you, how about the privacy??

Aren't those facing the back side? And since those windows are so high up, what do you think the neighbors are going to see?

CalBears96 said:
chasingpowder said:

Aren't those facing the back side? And since those windows are so high up, what do you think the neighbors are going to see?

I don't know, maybe the loft? and your wall?lol

Has anyone figured out what's going to be on Big Dipper, across from Hillside/Bluffs???

There's only signage for Hillcrest Park but the lot is now fully graded with roads ready and exterior walls being built. Can't seem to find the site plan anywhere.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 11.16.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 11.16.04 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 94
Back