New Car

aquabliss said:
abosch00 said:
I own the EX-L with nav and I like it.  It's my first ever suv, so can't really compare it to anything else.  I looked at the highlander but interior seemed really crammed compared to the pilot.  Same for acura mdx.

The only part that's lacking is the infotainment system.  2017 year model should come with carplay/android auto, so that should be much better.

Happy to answer any more specific questions on the pilot if you have any.

abosch, how was your buying experience?  Most of the dealers I contact seem to turn up their nose and think like these cars are some rare commodity and they can just get any price for them.  I'm sorry but it's still a Honda and not something I feel like paying anywhere near sticker for. 

If I could negotiate an EX-L with nav down to around $37.5k OTD I would probably do it, but I almost don't feel like even talking to these salesman they just say like "oh yes everyone is wanting the Pilot, we can't keep any in stock, people are calling me from out of state, everybody loves this car" and I just roll my eyes and want to walk away.

Also, does it bother you to not have a traditional speedometer?  Seems so weird to me that they only have the digital MPH and no needle speedometer, I think I'd always be looking for it regardless of the digital readout.

Yeah, I got it last year, a few months after it came out and because I had a specific color/trim combo I wanted, it was really hard finding a deal anywhere.  Some places were marking it up beyond MSRP....I mean come on, this is a Honda here, let's not get too crazy.  I'm not going to negotiate off of a marked up MSRP.  I ended up getting mine at Gardena (a bit of a trek).  I called them up and told them about a truecar price of a place far away (riverside) and asked him what he could do for me.  He happened to have the exact car I wanted and the price was close so I went with them.  Costa Mesa and Rancho Santa Margarita were willing to negotiate too.  Freeway Honda is awful and clueless, I would stay away.

As for the speedometer, I actually like it as my previous car had the same thing.

This CX9 does look pretty sweet, but I wanted the option to hold 8 people....that's come in handy when I have family visiting.

AW said:
Nice, the new cx9 looks so much better than the last one.  And a new torquey engine to boot compared to the last one.

How does Costco compared to truecar, I've heard conflicting accounts on which is cheaper.

As for the pilot, there is a pilot forum where people tell how much they paid for and for what trim, I was in the market maybe 5 years ago (hopefully that forum is still around) and gave me an idea of ballpark figure on what the price really should be
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-2016-third-generation-pilot/

I have an odyssey now and the brakes vibrates the steering wheel when you step on it med. hard.... I heard this problem from another person as well, so gonna try a toyota.

zubs said:
I have an odyssey now and the brakes vibrates the steering wheel when you step on it med. hard.... I heard this problem from another person as well, so gonna try a toyota.

All you have to do is resurface the rotors. It's cheap.

zubs said:
Because Toyotas don't ever have issues with rotor runout or ball joints, or need alignments?  Find a good shop that knows how to properly diagnose brake and suspension issues.  (Hint:  If they tell you your rotors are "out of round" it's a sign they're not a good shop.)

Lookwise, I think the Sienna SE is the best minivan.

The Pacfica looks pretty good too, saw it in person on Friday (see Water Cooler thread) but even though physically it's bigger, interior-wise it feels smaller than the Sienna. The StowNGo seats are pretty awesome though, perfect when you need to haul large items like furniture or wood.

Of the SUVs, can't go wrong with Toyota or Honda so my vote is for the Highlander or Pilot. The all-new Pilot redesign is really nice... if I had to pick, I would go for the one with better gas mileage although I assume they are probably very close to each other.

zubs said:

This happens to all vehicles. Get the brakes serviced.

zubs said:

Warped rotor?

The Odyssey is a 2013 vehicle on a 3 year lease which is up in JUNE, so I'm returning it.  I started noticing the brakes doing the wobble about 1 year into driving it.  I told the Honda dealership and they didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

For minivans (and maybe SUVs), the brakes and tires get worn quickly... esp tires.

On average (for me), a new set of tires last less than 2 years on my last 2 minivans and that's even ones with 50k+ warranties. I usually have to come in for warranty pro-ration because they wear faster than rated.

#NotIHOWeightRated

zubs said:
The Odyssey is a 2013 vehicle on a 3 year lease which is up in JUNE, so I'm returning it.  I started noticing the brakes doing the wobble about 1 year into driving it.  I told the Honda dealership and they didn't seem to think it was a big deal.
That doesn't sound right, you have to complain that it's a safety concern and they should fix it

AW said:
zubs said:
That doesn't sound right, you have to complain that it's a safety concern and they should fix it

Have a leased american vehicle. Brakes started wobbling after 5,000 miles and the dealer immediately said it shouldn't do that and fixed it under warranty.

madhandles said:
lnc said:
I like Mazda CX-9 too, great car. 

Don't forget to check out Costco's auto purchase program.  From what I've read on are other car forums, Costco's price are usually within $500 to the absolute lowest price in the market.  And if they are not the lowest, use their price as bargaining chip when negotiating with other dealer.  https://www.costcoauto.com/

Agree with Inc on Costco auto. Was emailing dealerships for quotes last year and Costco beat them all by ~$700

The last time I tried Costco, they said the closest dealer was in Temecula. I'm in the Irvine area. Weird. Also, they won't say the cost upfront. Also, someone here earlier mentioned fleet pricing. In case everyone is not aware, be advised that some do not do fleet vehicles. For example, that's why you never see a Honda offered at a rental. There is no such thing.

SoCal said:
Also, they won't say the cost upfront.
They always give me the dealer cost.

I think that was for Costco.

(Actually, I know it was Costco but just getting some #UpperDivisionEnglishPayback)

Also, someone here earlier mentioned fleet pricing. In case everyone is not aware, be advised that some do not do fleet vehicles. For example, that's why you never see a Honda offered at a rental. There is no such thing.
Actually, there is fleet pricing for almost every brand. Fleet doesn't just mean rental cars, it could be taxies, business car pools, etc.

I recall seeing some company branded Hondas which would qualify as fleet. I believe some taxi services use Honda minivans (or were they Toyotas?).

zubs said:

How about the new Kia Sedona or new Pacifica?

Before Uber/Lyft, there were private taxi companies that you could call to take you to LAX for $80.  These people all drove the Toyota sienna. 

Before I picked the Odyssey, I was considering the Town&Country and Grand Caravan.  For a 3 year lease any van would have been fine.

This new van I am going to buy, I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off.

zubs said:
Before Uber/Lyft, there were private taxi companies that you could call to take you to LAX for $80.  These people all drove the Toyota sienna. 

Before I picked the Odyssey, I was considering the Town&Country and Grand Caravan.  For a 3 year lease any van would have been fine.

This new van I am going to buy, I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off.

Hopefully your new car doesn't have a Takata airbag.

Back