Netbooks

I am here to confirm, $12.00 HDMI cables work perfectly, and I have dozens of them around the house of differing lengths.

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1257232694]Have you looked at the EEE Asus lines? I know... i'm a Linux junkie... plus sometimes some of the stuff I run is a little bit oddball.</blockquote>

My husband is a Linux junkie too.. My Linux love is limited to trading Redhat.

[quote author="Nude" date=1257219715][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1257217737]Oh, I won't buy at Best Buy- I window shop there:D

Let me sign for Lenovo. I was looking at Dell. Thanks.</blockquote>

I'm horribly guilty of that. I drag my wife there to get her opinion on stuff before we buy, and she did typing tests on every laptop before deciding on one she wanted, which we then ordered from the manufacturer. Aside from a movie or two and the random release-day video game, we don't actually buy anything at Best Buy and I'm fairly certain we aren't the only ones, which makes me wonder how long they stay in business as the window shopper's paradise.</blockquote>

Same thoughts about many other stores actually. I was in Toysrus the other day to buy a Hannah Montana wig for kid on Halloween, paid around $14 and later discovered that it was a $4 buy on amazon. Most of my purchases come from Amazon or Costco these days, unless it's a time bound purchase, or I am very specific about what I want.

The purpose of an ultra-light is less weight to lug around when you travel. So if you fly overseas a lot and need to have a laptop with you to check e-mails and do some light work, Netbooks work just fine. If the keyboard is kinda small, you simply buy or borrow a cheap ($12) full sized USB keyboard at your destination and plug it in. Then when you go home you just give it away.

I have a little Sony Vaio VGN-SZ120P (3.7 lbs) that I use for this purpose. It's got a large enough keyboard that I'm OK with.

Most of the ultra-light laptops have very limited memory expansion. At this time I would not recommend buying anything with less than 2 GBs of RAM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_subnotebooks

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1257562803]I havent looked at the very latest round of netbooks, but until recently, if I absolutely HAD to buy a netbook, I would have gone with the HP. The keyboard literally went from corner to corner with zero edges, the closest to full size that you can get.</blockquote>
I recommend the Acer 11" ones, almost fullsize keyboard and dedicated pg up/dn keys. The only other netbook that has that is the Toshiba.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1257565948][quote author="MojoJD" date=1257562803]I havent looked at the very latest round of netbooks, but until recently, if I absolutely HAD to buy a netbook, I would have gone with the HP. The keyboard literally went from corner to corner with zero edges, the closest to full size that you can get.</blockquote>
I recommend the Acer 11" ones, almost fullsize keyboard and dedicated pg up/dn keys. The only other netbook that has that is the Toshiba.</blockquote>

I recommend a Bluetooth mouse with click wheel. You can veg out on the couch with your netbook on your belly and minimal hand motion ...

Back