Netbooks

Just checked out a few netbooks. I am in the market for a laptop, but totally fell in love with the little cuties since I don't run any software on my machine, and all I need is Word/ Excel and internet with google services. Does anyone own a netbook? Any idea why they are better/ worse than the conventional laptop?

The ones I can think of is the strain on fingers with the tiny keyboard. As it is I have carpel tunnel syndrome, and I assume this will make it worse.

Please share your thoughts.

I got one last year and mostly enjoy it (think four stars out of five). The only reason I don't always use it over my laptop is key size (and location for some keys). I can type pretty quickly and often need to bang out multiple reports of 10 pages or so, and I just can't type as accurately on the netbook. If you can find one with full size keys (and good battery life), I would highly recommend it.

I don't think it will make your carpal tunnel any worse except by having to go back and fix the words you typed incorrectly.

Small keyboard and small screen make these much less practical as a main computer. If this is going to be your main computer for work OR home use, think twice.

Analogizing these to cars: This is your fun little "3rd car"; 2 seater, convertible miata - just used for cruising on the weekends. Not the family wagon or the work commuter.

Most netbooks don't have an optical drive, so loading software requires that you purchase an external drive. They typically have less memory and slower processors than a slightly larger laptop, which is why they have longer battery life. Those two differences allow smaller sizes and less weight, but really... you can get the same functionality from an iPhone or some other smartphone.

If you want a small, light, fully functional laptop, there is the dv4t from Hewlett-Packard that weighs 5 pounds, and can be nicely configured (4GB RAM, 320GB 7200 rpm HD, Blu-ray drive, discrete graphics card, full-size keyboard) for less than $1300. Dell has similar offerings. If this is just a "nice-to-have" and you really won't be depending on it as your primary computer, by all means get a netbook. However, if you need a real computer in a small size, I'd check out the smaller laptops and keep an eye on the coupon websites.

I have a fully functional work computer, and another laptop that I use for most of the technical stuff. But the laptop that I use for trading broke two days ago. (broke as in literally broke- it fell down and has cracked all over, a few keys fell off, but surprisingly nothing happened to the screen, or the internals. All damage is cosmetic. I have taped most of it, and typing mostly without keys). So this will be a trading platform. Not even used for technical analysis or anything- I do it all on the desktop. All I would use this laptop/ netbook is to carry it around the house as I move, to monitor the trades, and work on the excel/word. That's all...

Let me check out the HP five-pounder. Thanks Nude, Mojo and Eva.

Check out this <a href="http://www.dealigg.com/story-HP-Home-Coupon-Code-2">site for coupons for the HP</a> website. The coupons change weekly, but occasionally (every few weeks) you can find 15% or 30% off coupons good for configurable systems.

[quote author="Nude" date=1257127887]Most netbooks don't have an optical drive, so loading software requires that you purchase an external drive. </blockquote>

So far we have used a large capacity USB key and downloadable software for install. I think we installed Microsoft office from a USB key, though. YMMCV.

I have the same basic needs as you for a laptop.

I looked at both a laptop and a netbook. There is real no difference in price.

Most sites have a compare feature between different computers. I ended up getting a Acer Aspire 5516 and I bought it on sale for $299 at micro center.

I only use the laptop for general tom foolery. Poker, internet and some light word and excel.

The netbooks were the same price.

So another laptop it is after reading everyone's replies and careful consideration of all the factors. Went to Best buy and looked at a few. I think buying a laptop will be a better solution..

But yeah, would be nice to have a netbook also:)

Thanks everyone.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1257132917][quote author="Nude" date=1257127887]Most netbooks don't have an optical drive, so loading software requires that you purchase an external drive. </blockquote>

So far we have used a large capacity USB key and downloadable software for install. I think we installed Microsoft office from a USB key, though. YMMCV.</blockquote>

Just install a virtual drive and you are all set to go. I use <a href="http://www.daemon-tools.cc/">DAEMON-Tools</a> which is free and works for me. For MS Office you can slipstream the install and share it over the network. At <$400 a pop, it's a waste of money to add the extra $$$ for a drive.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1257217146][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1257214611]So another laptop it is after reading everyone's replies and careful consideration of all the factors. Went to Best buy and looked at a few. I think buying a laptop will be a better solution..

But yeah, would be nice to have a netbook also:)

Thanks everyone.</blockquote>

NOOOOo! Stay away from best buy!!

Even the prices directly from the manufacturer are better.

My advice is to sign up for the Lenovo "newsletter" and use the first coupon they throw your way.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current;-category-id=C2790FAB90184EB8A8E910C521C2274B

Those (above) laptops are rock solid and you can get another 50+ dollars off with a coupon. Its also nice that the new "pentiums" are actually core2duo derivatives, and not the old power-hungry p4M based machines.</blockquote>

Oh, I won't buy at Best Buy- I window shop there:D

Let me sign for Lenovo. I was looking at Dell. Thanks.

I do think netbooks have their place, just not as a main computer but more as a quick lookup computer for maps, Internet and email.

Place one in standby mode in the kitchen (or whatever place is farthest from where you keep your main computer) and you have an "infobooth".

I use one sometimes while watching TV to look up stuff I see on TV or to cruise while commercials are playing (usually during sports as I DVR most other shows).

The big nitpicks for me is display resolution and keyboard. Most netbooks have terrible keyboard layouts like no dedicated pgup/pgdn keys and since they have smaller resolution, you actually need those keys to scroll up and down web pages and documents.

If it's the size you like, they are making notebooks with more power in 11.6" packages (Acer and Dell both have models in this size) and they are more like mini-notebooks. They both run full Windows 7 and have better CPUs.

If you are going to get a notebook for mobility, I highly recommend the Acer Timeline series. These are really thin notebooks that have amazing battery life. While not the fastest CPUs, for most users, it will do (anyone who runs CAD or CPU/Graphic intensive programs will have a hard time with consumer notebooks anyways). Only MicroCenter and Fry's carry them in-store (although Costco is currently selling the 14" one for $600).

Good luck.

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1257217737]Oh, I won't buy at Best Buy- I window shop there:D

Let me sign for Lenovo. I was looking at Dell. Thanks.</blockquote>

I'm horribly guilty of that. I drag my wife there to get her opinion on stuff before we buy, and she did typing tests on every laptop before deciding on one she wanted, which we then ordered from the manufacturer. Aside from a movie or two and the random release-day video game, we don't actually buy anything at Best Buy and I'm fairly certain we aren't the only ones, which makes me wonder how long they stay in business as the window shopper's paradise.

[quote author="Nude" date=1257219715][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1257217737]Oh, I won't buy at Best Buy- I window shop there:D

Let me sign for Lenovo. I was looking at Dell. Thanks.</blockquote>

I'm horribly guilty of that. I drag my wife there to get her opinion on stuff before we buy, and she did typing tests on every laptop before deciding on one she wanted, which we then ordered from the manufacturer. Aside from a movie or two and the random release-day video game, we don't actually buy anything at Best Buy and I'm fairly certain we aren't the only ones, which makes me wonder how long they stay in business as the window shopper's paradise.</blockquote>

As long as people keep buying their Monster cables and use their Geek-Squad ... :p

My hubby just bought me a PINK netbook. I love it... mostly because it's pink. ;-) I still steal his laptop because the screen is bigger.

Have you looked at the EEE Asus lines? I know... i'm a Linux junkie... plus sometimes some of the stuff I run is a little bit oddball.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1257229755]True. I think I mentioned in another post - their HDMI cable pricing is outrageous. I had to buy a 12 footer there on an emergency basis one time... $90!!!! And that was for their own in-house (wannabe fancy sounding) brand, or whatever they call it... the monster cable was $110. I used it for 3 days while my $6.99, 24 foot cable came in from newegg.com.

I remember the sales guy going on and on about how at 12 feet or over, you have to spend all this money to get the signal quality, etc. etc. I humored him and nodded. Guess what genius, its a digital signal (not like analog) and it is either rated for the bandwidth per its length, or it isnt. My $6.99 cable of twice the length was properly rated and carried my 1080p signal perfectly when it came (fully tested). Just lies lies lies from those chumps.

Long story short, look for better prices and never believe their sales people.

They can charge those prices now because they are perceived to be the only kid on the block, now that other electronics stores have gone bust. Many consumers simply assume that because they are large, called "best buy" and see coupon deals sometimes, that they will be getting a good deal if they go there. Surprise people, its not Costco (where these assumptions are true).</blockquote>

That was the exact same example I had in mind. I snagged a 3-pack of 6' HDMI cables for $5.99 a while back (I think it was from meritline.com). Still hear from people falling for the Best Buy HDMI cable trick. Razor thin margin when they sell TVs, huge markup on peripherals and their extended warranty. It's mainly convenience and consumer ignorance that will have them stick around for a while. It funny (or kind of sad) to hear them push the extended warranty on top of that $100 HDMI cable.

Back