neighbor's sprinklers flooding my backyard

thedude111222

A little backstory:  We moved into our new home in Stonegate in late January and learned that our neighbors lived in China and had no plans to move in anytime soon.  Well they finally arrived and of course speak absolutely ZERO English, I think they are just here to take care of some house related stuff before going back to the homeland.  Anyways, they started construction on their landscaping within a week or two of moving in (highly doubt that they bothered submitting plans to the HOA and DRC).  It's pretty hideous looking, looks like a carbon copy the design of the IP models with clay brick pavers and a mess of all green leafy plants.  Anyways, they finished all of the work within about 4 days, which made me a little worried about the quality of the work as most of our other neighbors were taking close to a month from start to finish. Their lot sits about 2 feet higher than ours. 

The problem:  My concerns about the quality of work were proven to be true...Whenever their sprinklers turn on, a rush of water comes in from underneath the stone wall and settles in a pool about 2-3 inches deep in our back yard (still not landscaped).  I'm fairly certain that their contractor either failed to use the existing grade and sloped all surfaces away from the house towards the fences, failed to hook up drainage to the existing lines, or improperly installed sprinklers too close to the wall.  We are about to start our landscaping and want this resolved as soon as possible, so we first tried to talk to the neighbors but they are never home and can't understand anything anyways.  We then contacted the HOA since they set forth the guidelines for landscaping and their rules book clearly states that the neighbors have violated the design guidelines which clearly state that drainage should not run off onto community property or adjacent lots.  They responded by saying it is our responsibility to work it out with our neighbors.  Needless to say this got me a bit riled up as the HOA and DRC charge a substantial amount of money to approve design plans and even hold a deposit from all residents, yet they do not actually regulate that the actual landscaping is done according the guidlines. 

i figured this was the type of problem that HOAs handled, otherwise they are useless. 

you should get a mandarin speaking fellow TI member to help you translate a discussion with your neighbor. im sure there are other stonegaters on TI that speak mandarin that could help you out.

if they dont fix it in a timely manner i would just get up early every day and turn off their water main and keep on doing it till they fix it.

qwerty said:
i figured this was the type of problem that HOAs handled, otherwise they are useless. 

you should get a mandarin speaking fellow TI member to help you translate a discussion with your neighbor. im sure there are other stonegaters on TI that speak mandarin that could help you out.

if they dont fix it in a timely manner i would just get up early every day and turn off their water main and keep on doing it till they fix it.

How do you know it isn't one of the 48 other dialects of Chinese?

and like No Quarter says I get water coming through the brick wall into my dirt lot.  But I figure where the water is coming through, I'm going to eventually have plants there so it's just free water for me.

broda said:
qwerty said:

How do you know it isn't one of the 48 other dialects of Chinese?

because mandarin is where its at

That's effin bull ess and it angers me greatly.  >:D

I can't stand how they have a stranglehold over everything you want to do in your yard to supposedly protect your neighbors' interests, but if your neighbors are infringing on your interests they just tell you "Tough luck." Really?

What the bloody hell are we paying them for then?

Greedy rat bastards.

woodburyowner said:
Just curious who your HOA management company is.  I have PCM and they are a bunch of morons.

Same here. It seems they're exclusively who IP uses.

Disgusting.

No Quarter said:
lucky said:
woodburyowner said:
Just curious who your HOA management company is.  I have PCM and they are a bunch of morons.

Same here. It seems they're exclusively who IP uses.

Disgusting.

I have keystone pacific.

Ah, yes, I had Keystone Pacific in Portola Springs. In which community do you reside?

That's why I haven't submitted our plans to the HOA. Ill be damned if some neighbor that's on the committee is going to tell me what I can and can't do. Got a letter the other day saying they noticed our yard was done but plans were not approved.  Threw the letter in the trash.

qwerty said:
That's why I haven't submitted our plans to the HOA. Ill be damned if some neighbor that's on the committee is going to tell me what I can and can't do. Got a letter the other day saying they noticed our yard was done but plans were not approved.  Threw the letter in the trash.

Did the letter state what kind of penalty you might face? I figure the only thing they might be able to do (due to your contract) is force you to pay a fine, but I wonder how much.

In the side yard just pavers and grass with a sprinkler system. Did the other side of the house with pavers as well which is where we keep the trash cans.  In the front, we had a slope so we had to build a wall and then the plants and sprinklers. I'm sure it would get approved since its pretty basic/ standard. I'm curious to see how far the HOA takes it.

lucky said:
qwerty said:

Did the letter state what kind of penalty you might face? I figure the only thing they might be able to do (due to your contract) is force you to pay a fine, but I wonder how much.

Didn't say anything about penalties. Just said to submit my plans by so and so date and that if anything wasn't approved changes would be at the owners expensr

Whoah... didn't know qwerter was such an anarchist... did his landscaping WITHOUT HOA approval.

Who did you use? And who drew up your overall plan?

Used Aloha landscaping and go pavers. Each did their own drawing. Aloha did them by hand and to scale, pretty impressive. Go pavers uses some architect for their drawings

qwerty said:

Just FYI, I knew someone that changed their landscaping and ignore the HOA letters saying the plans weren't approved and the plants weren't appropriate.

The HOA sent a landscaper that removed everything and then liened her house and sent her the bill, plus penalties.  She eventually lost in court.

I really despise HOAs, if it is well ran it's a very good thing, too many, I say majority, aren't and in effect are no different than old school small town government of busy-bodies at best and a small step remove from the City of Bell at worse.

Kick backs, quid pro quo and using the HOA has their personal bully pulpit and piggy bank are de rigueur IMHO.  And the PM firms are just as bad.

nosuchreality said:
qwerty said:

Just FYI, I knew someone that changed their landscaping and ignore the HOA letters saying the plans weren't approved and the plants weren't appropriate.

The HOA sent a landscaper that removed everything and then liened her house and sent her the bill, plus penalties.  She eventually lost in court.

Great. All that, but if you're the one to report someone with broken landscaping, they tell you to go screw yourself. Just awesome.

nosuchreality said:
qwerty said:

I really despise HOAs, if it is well ran it's a very good thing, too many, I say majority, aren't and in effect are no different than old school small town government of busy-bodies at best and a small step remove from the City of Bell at worse.

Kick backs, quid pro quo and using the HOA has their personal bully pulpit and piggy bank are de rigueur IMHO.  And the PM firms are just as bad.

i would think they would send a warning letter (by certified mail or something to track delivery) that they were going to do this. if this actually did happen to me without any kind of warning they would find the entire design committee behind the blimp hangar next to the chinese man with his suitcase that was soliciting dogs.

i know eventually ill have to submit my plans just seeing how they react first.

So did Go Pavers and Aloha have to coordinate with each other since you didn't use a single contactor?

Or did you do one first and then the other?

irvinehomeowner said:
So did Go Pavers and Aloha have to coordinate with each other since you didn't use a single contactor?

Or did you do one first and then the other?

aloha started first, while they were still working i had go pavers come in and do their thing. the only coordination was making sure that aloha ran the wiring to the sprinkler system from their valves before the paver guys laid down the pavers. they just ran it along the wall and then the paver guys put the pavers down. pretty straight forward.

Back