Neighbor's massive backyard structure

irvinedreamer

Wanted to ask fellow TI'ers, our neighbor is making a massive backyard structure.  As the next door neighbor, do we have any way to approve/disapprove, do we have any recourse?  The size is overwhelming.

I'm pretty sure if i put up anything, i would get notified, once I left a plant in a pot outside and got a written notice.  In our former community of foothill ranch, we had to approve our neighbor's door and painting.

Check your CCNR's as they might have rules for requiring neighbor approval for certain things. I know our community requires signature from multiple neighbors when modifying anything that will affect others (including landscaping, exterior changes such as doors, windows, etc.).

If you have an HOA, they are supposed to get your sign-off on it (but maybe it depends on your HOA).

We had to sign-off when our neighbor did their backyard.

irvinedreamer said:
Wanted to ask fellow TI'ers, our neighbor is making a massive backyard structure.  As the next door neighbor, do we have any way to approve/disapprove, do we have any recourse?  The size is overwhelming.

I'm pretty sure if i put up anything, i would get notified, once I left a plant in a pot outside and got a written notice.  In our former community of foothill ranch, we had to approve our neighbor's door and painting.

Need more details.  What is it?  Pergola, playset, etc.  Is it taller than the level of your wall?  Photos please.

irvinehomeowner said:
If you have an HOA, they are supposed to get your sign-off on it (but maybe it depends on your HOA).

We had to sign-off when our neighbor did their backyard.

Isn't that just for awareness (i.e. not approval/disapproval).

My HOA advised everyone that when a neighbor has you sign off, it is NOT a sign of approval. It is just to show they are making the neighbor aware. That is all. Apparently, the HOA had to send out this message because they said neighbors were not being cooperative with signing since they thought it was the same thing as giving their permission, which they don't want to do in some cases.

We are at OH-trevi.  The structure is at least 10 feet higher than the wall, that is an underestimation.  Since the last picture, a complete roof has been added. Attached pictures are from our upstairs room. 

We were not notified or aware of the plans for their backyard.  The HOA only says, that they will do a site visit- they do not know about approval, etc.

I am trying to contact the city of irvine.  Any help would be appreciated.  I'm so frustrated, as i feel this massive structure has ruined the resale of our house.  When the house was plotted only a casita was allowed at most.

:mad:
:(

Attachments

• 20160416_112745.jpg
    20160416_112745.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 764
I think a casita can be allowed for this lot, however not of this size or height.  Just to include some frame of reference, it is 20 x 30 feet in l x w, again this is an underestimation. 

Check your HOA rules for landscaping. We have always had to get neighbors to sign off but our new HOA NO neighbor notification is required but we do have a lot of rules regarding height, setback, colors, trees (even different trees per elevation) both front and backyard.

Got it... Found the rules... Thanks guys!

Not trying to be a pain, just worried that rules say alot of things, which do not appear to match this structure, yet it is going up...

Attachments

• HOAGroves.jpg
    HOAGroves.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 334
irvinedreamer said:
We are at OH-trevi.  The structure is at least 10 feet higher than the wall, that is an underestimation.  Since the last picture, a complete roof has been added. Attached pictures are from our upstairs room. 

We were not notified or aware of the plans for their backyard.  The HOA only says, that they will do a site visit- they do not know about approval, etc.

I am trying to contact the city of irvine.  Any help would be appreciated.  I'm so frustrated, as i feel this massive structure has ruined the resale of our house.  When the house was plotted only a casita was allowed at most.

:mad:
:(

Looks like the structure will offer some nice shade in the summer  ;)

I was going to say the same thing as Irvine Fanatic.  Will this structure cast shade into your home?  Will it make it darker?

You think it's tall now, just wait - it doesn't even have the roof on yet :)

Looks like it will be much higher than 12ft tall though. 

Also looks like they added a tall retaining wall to the back of the lot?  You should probably do the same to get the most usable space out of your lot.

Congrats on owning a Trevi!  How do you like it so far?

Irvine Fanatic said:
The HOA only says, that they will do a site visit- they do not know about approval, etc.
If they didn't get approval from HOA prior to building then the HOA can insist that it be removed if it doesn't meet the guidelines.  Pressure HOA to take action and go make noise at the HOA meeting.

aquabliss said:
You think it's tall now, just wait - it doesn't even have the roof on yet :)

Looks like it will be much higher than 12ft tall though. 

Also looks like they added a tall retaining wall to the back of the lot?  You should probably do the same to get the most usable space out of your lot.

Congrats on owning a Trevi!  How do you like it so far?

Love it, floorplan is awesome-plan 1.  All secondary bedrooms are huge and easily swallow king/queen beds.  I am very grateful we were able to get it.  Only really need a back staircase.

I will continue to talk to hoa. 

Back