Neighbor's high school kid and friends come over and smoke pot when parent gone

What would you do?

• Total voters
For me, it boils down to a simple question.

Do you know the neighbors by their first names?  Have you had more of a conversation than "hi" and a wave in the last year.

If not, then they're not really your neighbor.  They're just the people in the hotel room next door.

I voted for calling the cops.

They're only smoking it outside so that the parents won't smell it on the inside when they get back. Unfortunately, the hard drugs could be going on inside. The kids may not 'fess up if you confront them. Instead, they may retaliate or make up lies about you to their parents to throw you under the bus. Kids are sneaky little bastards. And unfortunately, many parents live in denial, wanting to believe only the best of their child. The cops are the only reliable ones left in that case. If I were the parent in that case, I would absolutely want to know. My kids would be begging the cops to haul them off to jail because they would get far harsher treatment from me than they would the police. However, some parents are oblivious that their "little angel" would ever or could ever do anything like that. If you want it to stop, they have to be held accountable.

qwerty said:
The kids are essentially adults making their own decisions.

Choose adult behavior, accept adult consequences.

Also known as: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

SoCal said:
I voted for calling the cops.

They're only smoking it outside so that the parents won't smell it on the inside when they get back. Unfortunately, the hard drugs could be going on inside. The kids may not 'fess up if you confront them. Instead, they may retaliate or make up lies about you to their parents to throw you under the bus. Kids are sneaky little bastards. And unfortunately, many parents live in denial, wanting to believe only the best of their child. The cops are the only reliable ones left in that case. If I were the parent in that case, I would absolutely want to know. My kids would be begging the cops to haul them off to jail because they would get far harsher treatment from me than they would the police. However, some parents are oblivious that their "little angel" would ever or could ever do anything like that. If you want it to stop, they have to be held accountable.
I agree with you. 

Back