Neighborhoods feeding into Woodbridge High School

kayochan_IHB

I am currently looking at neighborhoods feeding into Woodbridge High. I like the general area because of (1) easy commute to work and (2) Woodbridge High appears to be a well rounded school (not too high pressure, good athletics, good scores). I really like Woodbridge but am concerned about the effects of the plume on future sale (when I am trying to sell) and the need to disclose (are realtors/sellers required to disclose info on the plume), as well as potential threat of tce vapors on schools and homes in the neighborhood (anyone have any hard info. on the potential of harm?). I also like Westpark II but am also concerned about the fact that the plume is heading in this general direction.

Any advice on this general neighborhoods and my above mentioned concerns?

I used to like both of these areas and Oak Creek as well. But after reading some of the posts here, I would not be willing to buy in these areas at all. Some of the homes on Woodbridge are very affordable. Also it depends on where you are in WestPark II, I would not buy there either because it's very close to CG and the noise from the train station would not be a plus. Last night there was a huge noise from an airplane(the first that I've heard). The bottom line is there are too many negative points against these neighborhoods.

Westparkrenter:

Thanks for your thoughts! I didn't even realize that you can hear the train from WP.

By the way, I have had people tell me that if we have to disclose a negative when it comes time for us to sell, then don't buy there. But other than the fact there is plume underneath Woodbridge and that it will take 40 years to clean it up, I don't know how that may/may not affect our health if we lived there.

I understand that the drinking water comes from uncontaminated wells so that's safe, but I don't know if there is an actual threat of tce vapors.

Again, I like Woodbridge and the surrounding areas and it appears that there are some affordable homes but I wish I can get some info. on actual health concerns from the plume.

You get some water through your skin/mouth when you take your shower/bath. Especially for young children who like to play in the swimming pool.

WP:

Yes, but I believe the water coming out of the faucet is drinking water quality (and the irvine water district site states that the contaminated water will be cleaned and only used for irrigation).

kay:

I share your concerns. Here is one site (albeit by the Irvine company) that discusses the <a href="http://www.irwd.com/WaterQuality/IDP/index.php">Desalter Project</a> (the name of the groundwater restoration project.) There are links on that page - one of which is a map showing you where the plume is and how long and wide it is. I personally have this map printed out for easy reference. You can also Google the key words surrounding this topic and you will find more info -- some of it highly opinionated one way or the other. I hope this helps.

Thank you SoCal for the link! I have seen copies of the plume map but not the one from the Irvine Water Dsitrict. I will print it out for my reference.

WP: Here's a link to the letter sent out to Woodbridge resident by the Irvine Water District that refers to the 40 year estimated cleanup term.

www.irwd.com/AboutIRWD/2008_IrvineResidentLetter.pdf

Back