Need restaurant recommendation for laguna with ocean view

momopi_IHB

Need restaurant recommendation for laguna beach area. For dinner tomorrow around 6pm, need ocean view. This is for my instructor. Not las brisas.

Momo, if you know of one also with an ocean or preferably patio view except in Newport / Lido / Balboa then I would appreciate a recommendation as I need to quickly find one and make reservations for this coming Wednesday. (Any type of food is o.k.)

The Beach House in Laguna (http://www.thebeachhouse.com) is kind of funky but it is right on the sand. You can ask for a table on the balcony overlooking the beach, or the inside table are nice as well. If your budget is unlimited go for Studio at the Montage (mentioned above), or if you want the Montage and want to keep the price down a bit they have a nice casual restaurant by the pool.

Studio at Montage is fantastic. As it is on a cliff in its own building, I would say they have the most dramtic view. It is a great place for worthy dates, and important business meetings. Food is excellent, however come with a very steep price.

Alternatively, you can try the other restaurant at Montage. I haven't tried their food, but my colleagues told me it is very good. The view is more set back, nevertheless it is a great view.

Another my favorite place is Ti Amo (italian). If you go to second floor, you will have a great sunset view. However, I can't remember how great a water view is, as somehow I never paid attention to that. You might want to give them a call and find out. Ti Amo is on the water side of the PCH.

If you don't have to be right on the water, and ok with a very short walk, I will suggest you consider Sun Dry Tomato (California). That is my favorite lunch date place with my wife. Several patio seats have distance water due to the seating angle. It is right on Forest street in downtown laguna. you should call ahead for reservation, and bring a light sweater.

231 Forest across the street has excellent food, but no water view. but you can always have a nice dinner and walk down the street for a cup of starbucks before hitting the beach.

also, you can consider having a drink and an apetizer at the bar in Montange or studio for the great water view, then go somewhere else like sun day tomato / 231 for dinner. This way, you hit two places in one night.

Good luck and have fun!

[quote author="ABC123" date=1249101422]

Also, never have been, but does Javier's have a view?</blockquote>

Depends on what kind of view you are looking for. ;)

Montage is very nice. But the Studio will melt your plastic. Try the Loft in the Main building. Just downstairs from the Lobby Lounge.

Both have excellent Ocean Views. If you want to hear the surf. Go to Splashes at the Surf and Sand. Its almost in the water its so close.

Personally the Surf and Sand is a great value for a local 4 star.

Javiers and Mastro`s in Crystal Cove are both good places. But your on the other side of PCH. You can see the Ocean. But not the beach and surf.

If you want to go whole hog. Try the restaurant at Pelican. They spent a billion on this place and its really not that snooty.

The Workmanship and Architecture are incredible in this place.

I prefer it to the Ritz or St. Regis. No its not on the beach. But the view at sunset is to die for. You can see the ocean.

<a href="http://www.pelicanhill.com/#/?page=resort">http://www.pelicanhill.com/#/?page=resort</a>

[quote author="zovall" date=1249129593][quote author="ABC123" date=1249101422]

Also, never have been, but does Javier's have a view?</blockquote>

Depends on what kind of view you are looking for. ;)</blockquote>
aka...alot-o-eye-candy views. :cheese:

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1249091893]Momo, if you know of one also with an ocean or preferably patio view except in Newport / Lido / Balboa then I would appreciate a recommendation as I need to quickly find one and make reservations for this coming Wednesday. (Any type of food is o.k.)</blockquote>

:( Unfortunately, I'm not an expert in beach front dining.

We just spent a lengthy amount of time in Laguna and ate at all the spots. I would second Meatball's recommendation for Splashes at the Surf N Sand. I was hesitant but a friend who knows good food recommended it, and it was superb. Request a table at the front.

Another spot with a less spectacular view but a view nonetheless and great food is Sapphire. For good view and great deal hit Mozambique for the $19.99 steak and lobster. I had this twice and it's pretty good - excellent for the price.

Please avoid The Beach House. Sorry Chuck, but that place was the site of the worst meal I've ever had in Laguna Beach. The view is great, but unless your 70 years old, you'll feel like you're visiting an old persons home.

Does your instructor really want to wow this girl? Forgoe all the restaurants and make a picnic basket. Anyone can drop $200 on a nice dinner. If he makes it himself and then they walk down on the beach at the Montage, it will be unforgettable. Do it... Or ask the Montage to bring their meal down on to the grass or beach. They should oblige if the time is right. ;-)

Back