Need help backing up Microsoft Outlook files

sell4u_IHB

Hi everyone - I was wondering if someone could help me with this. ...

I have a Western Digital external hard drive and I am trying to figure out how to back-up emails and contacts from my Microsoft Outlook onto the WD hard drive. Can someone help me with this? (The computer is a Toshiba Laptob, Windows XP)

Greatly appreciate any help!

its been awhile since I have done it but I used to export them via a .pst file

then you just select the folders you want to keep

I do remember this worked going from the same version (Outlook 2003 and importing later on Outlook 2003). However, when I made the switch to Windows Mail (the Outlook Express equivalent on vista), it didn't transfer over.

I got the contacts over eventually via Vcard, but I couldnt get the emails over. But I bet it would of worked if I had Outlook 2007 instead of Outlook Express/Windows Mail.

If I'm off, someone please correct me. Its been a good 2-3 years since I have done this.

[quote author="24inIrvine" date=1226376506]its been awhile since I have done it but I used to export them via a .pst file

then you just select the folders you want to keep

I do remember this worked going from the same version (Outlook 2003 and importing later on Outlook 2003). However, when I made the switch to Windows Mail (the Outlook Express equivalent on vista), it didn't transfer over.

I got the contacts over eventually via Vcard, but I couldnt get the emails over. But I bet it would of worked if I had Outlook 2007 instead of Outlook Express/Windows Mail it would have worked.

If I'm off, someone please correct me. Its been a good 2-3 years since I have done this.</blockquote>
You are correct. Oulook exports cannot be converted to Windows Mail, but Outlook 2007 can convert the older exports just fine. If you are trying to keep everything and using only XP, you should be fine using either OE or O'03 to export the files.

[quote author="sell4u" date=1226376203]Hi everyone - I was wondering if someone could help me with this. ...

I have a Western Digital external hard drive and I am trying to figure out how to back-up emails and contacts from my Microsoft Outlook onto the WD hard drive. Can someone help me with this? (The computer is a Toshiba Laptob, Windows XP)

Greatly appreciate any help!</blockquote>

Is your question about how to export from Outlook or how to connect up your external drive?

Back