NBA Free Agency 2019

irvinehomeowner

Wow, lot's of movement.

Worries me that Kawhi hasn't made a decision yet.

I really thought he was going to be a Clipper but now it seems he's either staying in Toronto or considering the Lakers. Clips were supposed to get someone else for him to team up with but all the other good players have signed so no one is left.

The only notable is Cousins and who knows where he goes.

Even GSW got some value back for Durant.

A lot of players got overpaid too, max for D'Angelo on the sign and trade...come on, but good for those players, bad if you're a Laker fan since a lot of the names most people know are taken unless we get Kawhi. 

If not, I guess the Lakers still have good money to put in for whoever is left of the better role players for AD and Lebron.  Getting Danny Green and Kawhi would be a good pairing, they know each other and have won together.   

Tobias getting $180m for 5 was pretty steep, but it looks like Philly is setting themselves up to be in the Finals since they were four bounces away from it this year. Adding Horford was huge and unexpected.

Milwaukee also tried to stayed intact although losing Brogdon will be noticeable. if Kawhi, leaves Toronto, it's probably going to be a Bucks/Sixers East final.

I also don't think the Celtics lost out too much, Kemba for Kyrie is a wash for me... but they'll miss Rozier -- and Morris if he signs elsewhere.

I always thought that Brooklyn was a better choice for KD than the Knicks (mostly because of Dolan) and good on the Nets for getting that combo, although this year will be a pause while KD rehabs.

Butler is weird, he says he wants to win but then he went to Miami... he would be better off on one of the LA teams.

Do you think GS keeps DLo? He's a bit redundant with Curry and is no defensive presence like Klay... maybe they flip him for someone (or some people) who they can utilize better.

GS is keeping him, if not it wouldn't have been a sign and trade at the max, who wants him at max right now when they probably could have signed him for less than max in FA?  My other thought is once the trade deadline comes around they may unload him (to free up cash the following season or if it doesn't work out) to some contenders who want to get him to give them an edge going into the 2nd half of the season. 

I don't think he or Tobias is worth max.  I really thought Butler would have taken less to come to the Lakers, but like Kyrie who knows if he's the right fit in the locker room.  I'm sort of glad we whiffed on Kyrie. 

akkord said:
A lot of players got overpaid too, max for D'Angelo on the sign and trade..

GS maxed him because they needed to retain the cap space that they had with KD with his Bird rights. Otherwise KD walks for free and GS loses the cap room and any flexibility for the next couple seasons. D'Angelo is going to be a 1 year rental until Klay is back and they will probably trade him for other pieces with his salary.

Philly really did well... if they can get that trade done with Miami, getting Josh Richardson for Butler is so good. Losing JJ hurts but I really think their team is now better than the one that almost beat Toronto, just not sure if they can play Horford and Embiid together.

irvinehomeowner said:
Cares said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Rumors are that GS is looking to trade DLo.

Developing...

He can't be traded this free agency. Has to wait until December.

I think they can as long as it?s part of the sign and trade deal, so before July 6.

Actually if he is acquired via S&T then he cannot be traded until December. CBA rules that you cannot be traded twice in the same offseason. If he signs directly then he can be traded.

Cares said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Cares said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Developing...

I think they can as long as it?s part of the sign and trade deal, so before July 6.

Actually if he is acquired via S&T then he cannot be traded until December. CBA rules that you cannot be traded twice in the same offseason. If he signs directly then he can be traded.

Sure. But if you re-work the deal with a 3rd team, then technically he's only being traded to the 3rd team. That's what I meant by part of the sign and trade.

irvinehomeowner said:
Cares said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Cares said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Developing...

Sure. But if you re-work the deal with a 3rd team, then technically he's only being traded to the 3rd team. That's what I meant by part of the sign and trade.

You mean he basically never ends up on GS? Not going to happen. There aren't enough quality free agents to sign to make up the cap space of Russell's contract. Either way, BKN and GSW don't have assets to trade off to a 3rd team.

Don't need other free agents. Can't you trade to teams with existing contracts and can fit the cap? Like trade DLo to NY for Hardaway Jr. (not that they would, just an example).

Yeah... but looking around, not many teams that have assets to trade that would be willing to take on max Russell... although you never know.

I guess it probably won't be until January, but if they do trade him, going to have the same issues moving a max contract then as you would today (other than now you can trade him for newly signed players).

Damn. The radio pundits are going to kill the lakers because they missed out on Kawhi and other second tier free agents because of going after Kawhi. These are going to be the same radio hosts who said that when you get a chance to go after Kawhi you do it, even at the expense of missing out the second tier free agents acceptable. They will all change their tune and say that the lakers should have known they had no real shot at Kawhi and should have gone after the second tier free agents from day 1

irvinehomeowner said:
The real earthquake is Kawhi and PG13 to the Clips.

Wow.

Should be a hell of a defensive team. Should have bought season tickets to the clips to resell.

The only good thing is Paul George has never done anything in the playoffs - time to start bashing all things clippers :)

eyephone said:
Westbrook to Houston and CP3 to Okc. In addition, OKC received multiple 1st round picks.

Not sure how well harden and Westbrook will fit together but still better than Cp3. I guess it makes sense that the two worst contracts in the nba would get traded for each other.

CP3 shouldn?t unpack yet.

Trying to move him to Miami.

OKC is going to play their G League team at the rate they are trading away players.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:
Westbrook to Houston and CP3 to Okc. In addition, OKC received multiple 1st round picks.

Not sure how well harden and Westbrook will fit together but still better than Cp3. I guess it makes sense that the two worst contracts in the nba would get traded for each other.

Rockets are going to petition to the League to amend the rules to allow 2 live basketballs at once.

Back