National Teacher Appreciation Week

IrvineLocal_IHB

Uh oh...it's that time of year again. What kinds of things are you doing/giving to show your appreciation for your kids teachers?

My kid is 2 and in a montessori daycare...there are 4 "teachers" and 2 part-time assistants... I'm never quite sure what is appropriate to give to them.

Last year (when there were only 3 teachers) I gave them $25 gift certificates to South Coast Plaza. Is this appropriate? Too little? Too much? Please give me some perspective so that I don't short-change her teachers.

We did some AMC movie passes for our Pre-K teachers. About $20 bucks for each teacher. I might up the ante a bit next year once my girl hits elementary school, but I think you are in the ballpark for preschool teachers with the $25 gift certificates.

That's a relief to know we were within ballpark.

Do you think SCP gift cards are still a good choice in today's economy? Hubby seems to be of the mind that Target gift cards may be more practical and thus more appreciated -- or even a grocery or gas card. I know I am putting way too much thought into this...

Funny, we had that same conversation --- were actually going to do a Target gift certificate, but then my wife thought that if we go Target they will probably end up spending it on something practical like shampoo or ant spray, rather than actually doing something "special" with it. That's how we ended up with movie tickets.

That said, I've always been a big fan of the $25 Amex gift cards that you can use anywhere.

I have given Target gift cards a lot but I think any gift cards are great. My mom was a teacher for 30 years and I know she loved gift cards for anything - sometimes she would get gifts cards to a restaurant or store she had never tried and that was always fun too - so basically I think you can't go wrong with a gift card.

I only give gift cards for Christmas. Last year I gave $50 each teacher (preschool) for the holidays. For Teacher's appreciation week, I only gave small gifts, less than $10. Anyone else the same?

The gift card is such a SoCal thing. Where I was before, it was like

1. Say something complimentary, or write a note.

2. Have kids bake them a cookie.

3. On some random day (ie. not teacher appreciation week), carry some food in for the staff room.

[quote author="Anonymous" date=1210145245]The gift card is such a SoCal thing. Where I was before, it was like

1. Say something complimentary, or write a note.

2. Have kids bake them a cookie.

3. On some random day (ie. not teacher appreciation week), carry some food in for the staff room.</blockquote>

I remember giving my teachers something during the week... and for Montessori teachers? Get 'em a whole lot of stuff!

[quote author="k.o." date=1210315370]

I remember giving my teachers something during the week... and for Montessori teachers? Get 'em a whole lot of stuff!</blockquote>

Like what sort of stuff?

This year it'll be target giftcards, plus a nice note. I ran out of time to be more creative. But I'd love to be more prepared for next year when she's in preschool.

Back