Nanny Wages

scarlette

We are in the process of looking for a nanny for afterschool hours 2-6 pm and wondered what the hourly wages or weekly/monthly rates are these days. Thanks in advance for responses!

I was looking at the same time frame and it came out to about $200-$300 per week or $10-$15 per hour.

Since most Irvine CDCs (on-site after school programs) cost about same, we are thinking about a Nanny as an alternate.

Does anyone have any experience they can share?

We have a part time nanny. Only comes in once a week for 7hrs. We pay her $15/hour. She has been with us for 2 years. We used to have her come in 3x/week but we have cut down since then. We also paid her a Thanksgiving and Christmas bonus as well.

Just wondering what the standard year-end/Christmas bonus is for a nanny. I'm trying to budget for the holidays and don't know what is the norm. Is 1-week's pay fair and a small gift? Also, we are expecting a second child. How much more should I be paying when we have another child? Is there an expected raise each anniversary year? We love our child's caretaker and want her to feel appreciated, but we also want to make sure we can continue to afford her in the long run.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

enilorac said:
Just wondering what the standard year-end/Christmas bonus is for a nanny. I'm trying to budget for the holidays and don't know what is the norm. Is 1-week's pay fair and a small gift? Also, we are expecting a second child. How much more should I be paying when we have another child? Is there an expected raise each anniversary year? We love our child's caretaker and want her to feel appreciated, but we also want to make sure we can continue to afford her in the long run.

think of how you feel when you dont get a raise :-(

but at the same time, the market is only willing to pay so much for this service. I dont have kids so i dont have any advice. Im guessing a 3% raise annually wont break the bank

enilorac said:

In terms of bonus--the 1 week worth of pay of pay is a good rule of thumb. You should also consider the number of years of service and how helpful they have  been to your family. For our  nanny, she has been with us several years now, so her bonus will be higher than a weeks pay.

qwerty said:
enilorac said:

think of how you feel when you dont get a raise :-(

but at the same time, the market is only willing to pay so much for this service. I dont have kids so i dont have any advice. Im guessing a 3% raise annually wont break the bank

Keep in mind that in California, anything over 40 hours a week is overtime.  You also need to add the social security, unemployment, CA-SDI and worker's comp insurance in on top of the pay.  You may also be responsible for an earned income credit. Then you need to file the quarter tax payments and keep the appropriate records to explain the FICA withholdings.  Collect the I-9 form, verify social security card and driver's license or passport.

California has an 86 page guide on being a Nanny Employer primarily focus on State requirements of you...

I'm curious what percentage are paying them legally versus just paying cash.

iacrenter said:
We have a part time nanny. Only comes in once a week for  7hrs. We pay her $15/hour. She has been with us for 2 years. We used to have her come in 3x/week but we have cut down since then. We also paid her a Thanksgiving and Christmas bonus as well.
Bumpers.

Did you hire her through a service or a referral?

We want to use a service/agency because there is probably some additional accountability there and we can use it as a Dependent Care writeoff. We're just wondering if there is some additional flexibility like a "substitute" nanny in case your regular one isn't available or might be sick.

Years back, we had someone come a few hours twice a week.  I think we paid like $15/hour, but it was to watch twin boys.  However, the boys slept about half of that time so she just watched TV or whatever.  She was a college student that was a referral by a friend.  We've always tried to go with people that have been referrals.

Back