Name your top 5 restaurants in Irvine and why?

* california fish on barranca and culver - better fish than restaurants twice its price

* ono hawaiian barbeque at district - much better stuff than competitors

* china garden on walnut and jeffrey - good for dim sum, so-so for dinner

* fukuda on irvine center drive - good stuff all around

* rubios at spectrum - best mexican fast food...baja fresh is 2nd

irvine restaurants aren't exactly exciting...

i know you didn't ask, but there's better stuff within 10 miles of irvine:

1- japanese - honda-ya in tustin

2- american - bayside in newport beach...hard to find anyone under 50 though

3- seafood - roy's at fashion island

overrated:

1- maestro in newport coast

2- oyster in newport beach

3- five feet in laguna beach

4- the ritz in newport beach - ultra dark dining room means...instant wrinkle removal!

5- pescadou bistro in newport beach

1. Ruths' Chris Steakhouse on Michelson/Jamboree. The best Steak anywhere.

2. Taiko for Sushi

3. Daily Grill on Jamboree/Dupont.

4. Sagaar Indian Restarurant - ok, it's on McArthur, by the Airport, it's almost Irvine

5. Chinez Chinese Restaurant on Alton.

1. Korean- Shik Do Rak. Jeffrey and Walnut.

2. Japanese- Taiko. Jeffrey and Walnut.

3. Persian- Caspian. Culver and Walnut.

4. Vietnamese- Pho Bac. Barranca and Culver

5. American- Hmmm. Chilis???

Now that I think about it, all the really good places are outside of Irvine. I second Honda-Ya and CA Fish Grill.

1. Kaya Korean Restaurant

2. Indian Cook House

3. Taiwanese Ay-Chung Noodle

4. Japanese Curry House

5. Chipotle Mexican Grill

Why? Cheap and taste good.

1. Chinese - Sam Woo? There are so many, but they all seem the same to me.

2. Vietnamese - Pho Bac is okay.

3. Korean - SHIK DO RAK - I love the one in Garden Grove and now I love the one in Irvine.

4. Japanese - Oki Doki - in Tustin

5. Mexican - Chipotle

6. California Fish Grille - I think they have the best fish tacos in all of IRVINE.

7. Indian - Dosa Place in Tustin

Basically, I have not yet tasted anything authentically good in Irvine except for SHIK DO RAK. The Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, and Indian food all taste mediocre. The Fish Grille is the only restaurant that stands out.

I will stick to just Irvine and no "Fast Food"

1. Ruths Chris. Pricey. But one of the best steaks and service. For Special Events.

2. Taiko. But you be waiting. Bring a book. Sushi Bar or dont bother.

3. Peppinos Italian. Sand Canyon. Great People. Good Food. Consistant.

4. El Chollo. Traditional Mexican. Seafood Enchillada.

5. Gullivers. Best Prime Rib. Great Service. For my Escargot fix.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1233624304]I will stick to just Irvine and no "Fast Food"

1. Ruths Chris. Pricey. But one of the best steaks and service. For Special Events.

2. Taiko. But you be waiting. Bring a book. Sushi Bar or dont bother.

3. Peppinos Italian. Sand Canyon. Great People. Good Food. Consistant.

4. El Chollo. Traditional Mexican. Seafood Enchillada.

5. Gullivers. Best Prime Rib. Great Service. For my Escargot fix.</blockquote>

Blt, I haven't been to the woodbury Peppinos for couple months. How are they doing? It seemed to be empty most of the time. I have been wondering if they will close down. The food is good.

Irvine

I watched Super Bowl with the Owners Family and friends yesterday at

that Peppinos. Great Party. I even tagged one of the pools. Its slow and he admits it.

But he has the "pockets" to keep going. He only has 5 Restaurants now.

His Foothill location is doing great. But the others are "off". He is betting

that eventually Woodbury will build out and he will do very well. I would be surprised

if he throws in the towel on that location. The other issue is the Irvine Company.

The lease costs in that center are beyond reality. At a point they are going to need

to price them to the new market or they are going to lose a bunch of tenants.

Not sure what kind of a long term lease he is in. But thats another reason he would stay.

[quote author="almon" date=1233497311]

overrated:

</blockquote>

Ah man, really? I've always thought Oysters was completely underrated. I've rarely heard any chatter about it and never met anyone outside of CDM/NB who have actually been there. For my money it's one of my top-3 favorite OC places. Atmosphere is fun, live jazz, cool old bar, great service (except for one new guy who is no longer there), good food. Their braised short-ribs (with the original sauce if requested) is phenomenal, second on my list only to Bayside's venison medallions. Oh well, to each his own I suppose. :)

[quote author="AVRenter" date=1233632394][quote author="almon" date=1233497311]

overrated:

</blockquote>

Ah man, really? I've always thought Oysters was completely underrated. I've rarely heard any chatter about it and never met anyone outside of CDM/NB who have actually been there. For my money it's one of my top-3 favorite OC places. Atmosphere is fun, live jazz, cool old bar, great service (except for one new guy who is no longer there), good food. Their braised short-ribs (with the original sauce if requested) is phenomenal, second on my list only to Bayside's venison medallions. Oh well, to each his own I suppose. :)</blockquote>

The burger and calamari are also very good...

La Sirena -- I just love the steak burrito. And the chips and salsa. Mmmmm......

Mi Casa -- yummm....cheese all over the rice and beans.

Sharky's -- Umm, I like Mexican food. Good chips and salsa.

Fresca's -- did I mention I like Mexican food?

BJs Pizza -- I also like pizza.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1233628521]Irvine

I watched Super Bowl with the Owners Family and friends yesterday at

that Peppinos. Great Party. I even tagged one of the pools. Its slow and he admits it.

But he has the "pockets" to keep going. He only has 5 Restaurants now.

His Foothill location is doing great. But the others are "off". He is betting

that eventually Woodbury will build out and he will do very well. I would be surprised

if he throws in the towel on that location. The other issue is the Irvine Company.

The lease costs in that center are beyond reality. At a point they are going to need

to price them to the new market or they are going to lose a bunch of tenants.

Not sure what kind of a long term lease he is in. But thats another reason he would stay.</blockquote>

Funny, according to their suppliers they are having a hard time paying the bills. I would expect Peppino's in Woodbury, if not the entire organization would be prone to bankruptcy in the face of a prolonged downturn.

It's not in Irvine but I love The Crab Cooker in N.B. (Smoked albacore, yum!) There's also a closer one in Tustin but I've never been to that location.

In Irvine, I love Ruby's on Barranca. Awesome view of the lake. Good service.

Since the spirit of the original post was to find out where to eat for a newcomer, I'll not limit it to Irvine (and frankly Irvine is very ordinary and too chain-oriented). I'll center it around Irvine instead.

Bentoss - A Japanese "fast food" in front of Mitsuwa just south of South Coast Plaza. The best bento joint in (dare I say) all of L.A. They're a fast food chain from Japan, but their tempura, katsu, etc. are outstanding. Also another in Gardena.

Shik Do Rak - I'll give them kudos just based on L.A. & Garden Grove locations, and because all other Koreans near Irvine are pretty mediocre. And me being Korean, gotta give at least one :)

Honda-Ya - A Japanese izakaya in Old Tustin that has good food and a great atmosphere. If you've never been to an izakaya-style bar, try this and you'll be hooked.

Five Crowns - Gotta admit, I love prime rib and this place does them well to very well. And a fun atmosphere to boot makes for a satisfying time.

Sunday Brunch at Monarch Beach Resort - Okay, it's not near Irvine but this meal is one of the best bargains around. $70/pp for brunch can hardly be called a bargain, but in a time when any gourmet meal will run $300+ for a couple, the $180 bill for this quality and VIEW qualifies.

Not the perfect list, but take it for what it's worth.

1. Taleo Grill

2. Clay Oven or Swaad Indian Cuisine

3. Baja Fesh or La Salsa

4. Tia Juanas

5. Peppinos

6. Charro Chicken

Why? Only because I get frequent flyer miles for eating there. Other than the carnitas at Taleo, I find those choices to be somewhat mediocre at best and sometimes not so good.

[quote author="BMP 309" date=1233639086][quote author="AVRenter" date=1233632394][quote author="almon" date=1233497311]

overrated:

</blockquote>

Ah man, really? I've always thought Oysters was completely underrated. I've rarely heard any chatter about it and never met anyone outside of CDM/NB who have actually been there. For my money it's one of my top-3 favorite OC places. Atmosphere is fun, live jazz, cool old bar, great service (except for one new guy who is no longer there), good food. Their braised short-ribs (with the original sauce if requested) is phenomenal, second on my list only to Bayside's venison medallions. Oh well, to each his own I suppose. :)</blockquote>

The burger and calamari are also very good...</blockquote>

you know what, it was good but not berry good, i thought it could have been better for the dough...

one more overrated place: gulfstream in newport beach - i've been there 4 or 5 times, has become inconsistent, alternates between excellent and blah...

Back